January 28, 2010

Football 2009 Season Final Review

Ok so it’s time to see how things worked out for me in the year of football (2009).

Football 2009 Preview 8/9/09 Can be found at Tsames.Blogspot.com (archives)

Predictions

NFC

Prediction-NFC East-Eagles 11-5, Cowboys 10-6, Giants 7-9, Redskins 7-9

Actual-NFC East-Cowboys 11-5, Eagles 11-5, Giants 8-8, Redskins 4-12

Prediction-NFC North-Vikings 10-6, Packers 9-7, Bears 8-8, Lions 4-12

Actual-NFC North-Vikings 12-4, Packers 11-5, Bears 7-9, Lions 2-14

Predication- NFC South-Saints 12-4, Falcons 9-7, Bucs 6-10, Panthers 6-10

Actual-NFC South-Saints 13-3, Falcons 9-7, Panthers 8-8, Bucs 3-13

Predication-NFC West-Seahawks 11-5, 49ers 9-7, Cardinals 7-9, Rams 5-11

Actual-NFC West-Cardinals 10-6, 49ers 8-8, Seahawks 5-11, Rams 1-15

NFC Title Game Prediction-Vikings vs. Saints-Champs-Saints

NFC BREAKDOWN-So my prognostication in the NFC wasn’t all that off. I may have liked those Seahawks a bit too much, but I was sold that Matt Hasselbeck had one more good year in him…we now know that’s not the case and new coach Pete Carroll should be searching for his next guy. I also sold the Packers short, but really I think coach Mike McCarthy is a mediocre coach at best, which he is, it’s just their talent level made them excel. I think I also shouldn’t have given the Redskins and the Bucs as much credit as I did, however I do like that the Bucs now have settled in with Josh Freeman as their QB. I nailed the Vikings and the Saints which to be honest was the paper favorites (once Bret signed with the Vikes). I’m going to give myself an A- for this year’s NFC predictions given that the team I had winning the NFC…actually won the NFC…that’s pretty rare in the prediction business. GO SAINTS!

AFC

Prediction-AFC East-Pats 14-2, Jets 8-8, Dolphins 6-10, Buffalo 4-12

Actual-AFC East-Pats 10-6, Jets 9-7, Dolphins 7-9, Bills 6-10

Prediction- AFC North-Steelers 10-6, Bengals 9-7, Ravens 8-8, Browns 6-10

Actual-AFC North-Bengals 10-6, Ravens 9-7, Steelers 9-7, Browns 5-11

Prediction-AFC South-Texans 11-5, Colts 9-7, Titans 8-8, Jaguars 6-10

Actual-AFC South-Colts 14-2, Texans 9-7, Titans 8-8, Jaguars 7-9

Prediction-AFC West-Chargers 10-6, Broncos 9-7, Chiefs 7-9, Raiders 6-10

Actual-AFC West-Chargers 13-3, Broncos 8-8, Raiders 5-11, Chiefs 4-12

AFC Title Game Prediction-Patriots vs. Texans AFC Champs-Patriots

AFC BREAKDOWN-I fell in love with two teams (Texans and Pats) that came up short in their quest for glory. Though the Texans (who were my big gamble sleeper pick) did play better than ever, and finally got over 8-8 with a solid 9-7 season, they weren’t quite ready for the big time. I watched this team more this year than other team other than the Pats and I figured out why my prediction didn’t come true…they have a horrible coach! The Texans should have beaten the Colts twice c’mon this team was great, it was just horribly coached in key situations. Oh well I will by high on them again next year, but won’t have them going anywhere in the playoffs because of that crappy coach. So that brings us to the Pats…14-2 was a bit dreamy…and I am a homer with this team, but they had the pieces on offense, and not on defense…and I glanced over that. I also gave too much credit for the healing ability of Brady…he was hurt all year and on top of that it took him 4 weeks to be in football form, only to get banged up only a few weeks later. I was consistently disappointed with my team this year, but still think they positioned themselves well enough for next year…ONE NAME PATS FANS-Julious Peppers!!! (also another receiver, let’s cut Maroney, and grab a pass catching tight end like Chris Cooley) I’m going to give myself a C- grade this year on my AFC predictions because I mistakenly thought the Colts would slide a bit because of the loss of most of their coaching staff from 2008, but turns out their coaching staff consists of one guy named Manning so that wasn’t really a problem, the rest of those guys are just there for paperwork or something. I was onto the Bengals enough to take credit for that and all the teams that were close at the end I had in the mix. I gave too much credit to the Chiefs, but other than that I was right around were I needed to be.

2009 Superbowl Prediction (My final attempt to get it right this year)

Saints 27 Colts 24

Saints get their first ring ever. And Drew Brees gets to enter the elite lounge…The game ends when Manning marches the Colts down the field just enough to get Matt Stover (42 years old) a shot at a long 49 yard field goal to tie…but the cagey Saints D gets a piece of the ball and the kicks is blocked. How’s that for Superbowl Drama :)


***UPDATE***Congrats to the Saints who beat the Colts 31-17 (pretty close to my prediction) ...A worthy Champ...I already miss football :(


2 comments:

  1. Not too shabby with your predictions, despite the AFC oversites. I feel your pain with the Pats. I was very disappointed myself. :( I'm looking forward to a good Super Bowl game though! Your drama-rich predictions would make for an excellent game!

    PS - I told ya 4 wins for the Lions was too generous, LOL. Figures the two wins they DID have were blacked out here. Maybe they are camera shy? ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the Pats will be back! Julius Peppers is on the way (I Hope), I still like that Lions young team they just have to get that defense fixed up. I hate blackouts all together...they should always be on TV period. I like the Saints...C'mon give us some drama!

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.