February 25, 2010

American Idol Update #1

Season #9, Here we go...and just for you...weekly updates!!!

So last year we rode the Matt Giraud bandwagon till it ended with him finishing 5th in the competition. Remember him he was the guy who got saved by the judges. Anyway I was wrong there I guess, but I did really think he was the best and ended up downloading more of his songs than any other contestants. The year before (my first year of Idol…I blame my friend CJB3 for getting me involved) I nailed David Cook who I picked during the top 16 week…after he sang an awesome version of a crappy song “Hello” by Lionel Ritchie. This is a new year, and with my new blogging powers (though really whose reading?), it comes with weekly updates (make no mistake this is because the movie season has died down, and there is sadly no more football…and um I suppose I like Idol…maybe Mr. Tony is to blame?) Well here it goes, let’s quickly break down the top 24 week, by the way the top 24 is the earliest I have ever ventured into the Idol show, because I hate the first few weeks with all the awful auditions, and though I know many of you think that is the best part, I dread it, I prefer the later weeks where they all sing acoustic Bryan Adams songs (break downs will get more specific in later weeks, I promise).

Top 24 Girls-Mostly bad with few standouts, they all look scared and confused at this point.

Best Performances of top 24 week:

· (1) Michelle Delamor-She did a nice job with Alicia Keys, but could use work. This girl did not do it for me prior to this performance, but really this was the first time we heard her sing solo.

· (2) Kateyln Epperly-I didn’t like her before this, and think she dresses a bit slutty, but when you do Oh Darling by The Beatles and do it even remotely well, I will give you props.

· (3) Siobhan Magnus-She’s weird, but from New England…so she has that going for, and Wicked Game is a cool song choice, very David Lynch-fan-friendly.

Worst Performances of top 24 week (two of these should go):

· (1) Lacey Brown-Just dreadful…wow.

· (2) Paige Miles-If I had all night, I doubt I could have picked a worse song choice for this girl (All Right Now?), who btw is pretty good.

· (3) Haely Vaughn-Again she’s good, but I Want to Hold Your Hand? It was the goofiest version of that I think anyone could imagine…well maybe not David Lynch, and seriously the smiling thing is getting a tad annoying and I have barely watched the show.

· (4) Katie Stevens-She is also good (as seen in past weeks) but may be too young, her song choice was wrong and her stage presence is awful.

Push for top 24 week (just fine, not great…should stay alive): Ashley Rodriguez, Janell Wheeler, Lilly Scott, Crystal Bowersox, and Didi Benami.

Current Girl Pick to Win: Didi Benami-just really like her so far.

Runner Up: Janell Wheeler-she’s really pretty and country, which Idol likes.

Top 24 Guys-I think I thought the girls would be better, and then I saw the girls and thought…nope guys will be better this week…should’a stuck with my first instinct…just a poor showing mostly.

Best Performances of top 24 week:

· (1) Lee Dewyze-He was original and good, though his voice sounds like it has limits.

· (2) Casey Blake-The song was right (Bryan Adams Heaven), he’s not great but in this crowd he stands out enough.

· (3) Andrew Garcia-Took a risk, I thought it was fine, but some people go a bit too far when they are changing these songs.

Worst Performances of the top 24 (two of these should go):

· (1) Tim Urban-Wow so, so awful, I felt bad for him, but he’s good looking he will be fine.

· (2) John Park-Not as bad as Tim Urban, but was still awful.

· (3) Jermaine Sellers-The best of the worst

Push for top 24 week (just fine, not great…should stay alive): Joe Munoz, Tyler Grady, Alex Lambert, Todrick Hall, Aaron Kelly.

Current Guy Pick to Win: Andrew Garcia-He is the most polished, but I think it’s gonna be a girl.

Runner Up: Lee Dewyze-He seems cool, he should get better.

So that’s where I’m at right now…I will update this post after tomorrow night’s show, where hopefully they will put Tim Urban out of his misery.

***Update-Idol likes to shock and it did with both Ashley and Janell leaving early in my opinion, Lacey Brown had to be the one to go...but oh well, looks like I need a new second best to Didi, I think for now I will (1) Didi still, (2) Katelyn...as she may be the only potential Itunes Download this week from the ladies/With the dudes, I seriously can't believe (and neither can he looks like) that Tim Urban is getting another shot, Also though Tyler is nothing great, listening to John Park for another week, would be like voting for Tim Urban to stay...just nonsensical...oh well Idol surprises keep on coming.***

3-Downloads for this week-Katelyn Epperly:Oh Darling, Lee Dwyze:Chasing Cars, and Andrew Garcia:Sugar (We're going down swingin). None of these are great but I get excited early.

The guy ranks stay the same for me with Andrew at (1) and Lee at (2) but the girl ranks got shook by the sudden and early departure of Janell, I go (1) Didi and then (2) Katelyn...see you next week with new a post and breakdown !

1 comment:

  1. WTF Time Urban stayed! I think both girls should have stayed over Lacey for sure, and I think that maybe Munoz was ripped off, he was actually good. Oh well American Idol is off to a bad start for me:(

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.