August 9, 2009

DVD Review #17 Coraline

Coraline (2009) Voices of Dakota Fanning, Ian McShane Directed by Henry Selick

Coraline is a spectacular film to watch, it is a crisp and beautiful picture that jumps off the screen (and I did not watch it in 3D which is available). Henry Selick who has done both James and the Giant Peach and The Nightmare before Christmas (both cool films) nails it yet again here. I am often not attracted to animation or "kids Films" however these kinds of dark tales always catch my eye. I wish I had more artistic ability in me, but I think my big sis got all that. From time to time though I can really appreciate something that is just cool and different. Coraline is something like that, it is a movie you can throw in and watch with the family, or hang on the wall and look at as you walk by. Coraline is a story about a bratty, selfish girl who finds herself not receiving enough attention from anyone...especially her parents who are in the middle of a location change and trying to get into the gardening (book writing) business. So she ventures into another parallel world where her parents are just as she would like them, as well as some other interesting and creepy characters (think Veruca Salt stuck in the world of Twin Peaks meets Full House, minus all the midgets). However things go array as her "other Mother" is revealed to be not all that she seems. The story is cute and creepy (a nice mix) and the look of the film will keep your eyes on it. Dakota Fanning really does a great job at being a brat here and Ian McShane (from Deadwood) does a nice job as well. It is not often that I find myself gushing over a film like this, but for Coraline I do...I wonder if you will as well. Go out and see this film, and if you have a family watch it together. It is a nice popcorn film that will look great on your HD TV.

Henry Selick's next film is called Here Be Monsters, and we should expect another great looking movie with that. I would also urge you to read and watch James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl, it is just a cool cool story. Dakota Fanning has the Twilight sequel New Moon coming soon where she will play Jane and also a film called The Runaways set in the 70's and also starring Kristen Stewart (of Twilight). Selicks frequent producer Tim Burton is busy getting Alice In Wonderland ready, and is taking on 1984 and Dark Shadows (both remakes) as at least a producer.

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) Coraline gets a very animated 7.0 for being a truly unique viewing experience, I was glad I got to watch it. Often times if I don't catch a family film when it is out there...it will drift into the abyss and I will never get to it...don't hesitate on this one.

4 comments:

  1. Though I disagree with your assessment of Coraline as a "bratty, selfish girl" (I feel her as an adventurous spirit that longs for deserved attention from her parents - who are busy writing a garden catalog instead??!), I heartedly agree that it is a delightful movie with exceptional imagery. The garden is AMAZING!!! Twin Peaks meets Full House - nice one, but whose Danny?

    --They say even the proudest spirit can be broken...with love. (Other Mother)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Bratty selfish girl was over the top...but adventurous spirit that longs for deserved attention...hmm that might be too generous...perhaps there is a middle here. Well Danny is the Dad of course...and we all know Uncle Jessie is the trapeze mice guy who lives upstairs...because Danny is cool with it :) "stay as long as you like"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the moral of the story and i bet most kids out there can identify with coraline about not getting as much attention from their parents as they would like. it is nice to be able to give them the other perspective but that said it scared the hell out of my daughter to the point where she had to sit on my lap to watch the end!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it was a littl creepy while watching it, but it was so cool looking at the same time, I really couldn't take my eyes off it...I'm sure your kids were glad to have mommy to grab on to when it got scary :)

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.