January 18, 2010

Special Comment (Golden Globes)

Globes are boring…and they get it all wrong…again!

Some thoughts on the Golden Globes…well there were a few funny moments from Rickey Gervais (the Mel Gibson introduction was priceless) and there were some very awkward moments (um Harrison Ford, Helen Mirren, and John Lithgow), and finally there were some utterly embarrassing moments…like Avatar beating both Up In the Air and The Hurt Locker…just so, so bad. I’m going to go ahead and say it (it was mentioned in the ceremony)…these awards are bought and sold…this was one giant commercial and it didn’t even try to hide it. Just so, so awful…now I didn’t see all the nominees, but I have seen most so let me try to rectify this awful Globes with my own quick awards list.

Best Picture-Drama-Up In the Air 2nd Place The Hurt Locker

Best Picture-Comedy-(500) Days of Summer 2nd Place It’s Complicated

Best Actor-Film Drama-George Clooney-Up In the Air

Best Actress-Film Drama- N/A

Best Actor-Film Comedy-Joseph Gordon-Levitt-(500) Days of Summer

Best Actress-Film-Comedy-Meryl Streep-It’s Complicated

I think for both supporting roles they got it right, Waltz for Basterds was spot on, and although I didn’t see Precious…I think I would have given her (Mo’ Nique) the Globe just for the clips I have seen.

For Director I could see why Cameron was honored given that he was basically vindicted for spending years and hundreds of millions on Avatar…but this was Kathryn Bigelows or Jason Reitmans award no question.

I don't get what the Hollywood Foreign Press is using to measure these films...both it's certainly not logic...oh well we will do this again next year...my hope is that the Academy Awards get it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.