July 18, 2010

Fantasy Baseball Update #5 (The stretch run is now!)

So I’m in contention in all but probably one of my 5 leagues (yes 5 I know at least 2 too many) so I am not complaining, but jeez every time I pick a league to chronicle on the blog I get hammered with injuries and I end up making a thousand moves so I don’t have to show up and tell you all how I’m in 9th place and I’m packing it in. Well I’m not packing and despite the likes of (Pedroia, Beckett, V-Mart, and Ellsbury) being hurt (notice what team they are all on?) I am still in the hunt. Since the last update I have made about 50 moves so let me introduce you to my new team, let’s break it down!

Stock Up: Angel Pagan (NYM) with so many OF’s not producing why not stream the position (at this critical time) and put in some of the hot hands around baseball that are available? Pagan is batting over 300 with a little pop (6 HR’s) and some good speed (20 Steals) so if you have any of those Stock Down OF’s why not give him a try. John Jay (STL) he is getting a lot of at bats and so far he has produced a 370 AVG. Ok one more OF for you to try in lineup: Corey Patterson (BAL) yes that guy that was once on the Cubs, he has had a nice resurgence with the Orioles…280 AVG, 16 Steals, and even some pop 5 HR’s. If you need some infield help don’t look now but Gordon Beckham (CWS) is actually producing finally, over his last 5 games he has 2 HR’s and 9 hits, had I not made a deal for B Phillips I think this guy would’ve ended up in my lineup. Ok how about 2 pitchers that have let you down before and are primed to make it up to you…c’mon you know you love name recognition…Wandy Rodriguez after a brutal start has bounced back nicely lately…5 earned runs and 25 K’s over his last four starts (3 wins!). Edinson Volquez so maybe he finished last year on a bad note, and yes yes he was suspended, and yeah he hasn’t pitched this year yet due mostly to injury, but if you need pitching help he should’ve caught your eye with his first start (6 innings, 3 hits, 1 ER, 2 BB, and 9 K’s) might want to grab him before someone else does. Finally if you haven’t noticed yet you might want to pick up Chris Perez again (since Kerry Wood is hurt), he should be able to help those who need some saves.

Stock Down: I’ll make this quick Manny Ramirez, Johnny Damon, and sadly Raul Ibanez are all now droppable in 10 team mixed leagues. As for pitching if you want to give up on Dan Haren I won’t kill you for it, but remember his strikeouts are still worth something and if he gets moved here in the next two weeks you may regret it.

Deep Sleepers-Well I’m not usually one to listen to hype, but if you are, you may want to give White Sox pitcher Daniel Hudson a try, I know he gave up 5 ER’s in only 4 innings in his first ML start, but he has great minor league numbers and he has been the talk of the town for awhile, so if you have room I would stash this guy and hope to get 5 or 6 good starts from him when he gets right. He really isn’t own-able in 10 team mixed leagues, but if you are in a deeper league or just need some temporary help in the OF why not give are old friend Mike Cameron a try since returning from injury for the Bosox he has 3 HR’s and is batting a nice 283 so far.

Time to take a closer look at: Juan Pierre he is owned in 94% of 10 team leagues…this guy (who has 38 steals…that leads the Majors) should be owned in 100% of leagues! Look I have overlooked steals all year (as I became apathetic since Ellsbury went down) but I still have a chance to gain some ground and I was shocked to find this guy just laying around out there. If you need steals…he can deliver!

Some advice from the guy in 4th place-It’s time to make a drastic move if that is what is necessary. We all know how much you like Jon Papelbon or Manny Ramirez, but if they aren’t getting it done for you, you have to trade or drop them so that you can help the areas that you need help in. I traded Papelbon (who I love as a player) for Phillips and though it was hard to let him go, I needed a 2nd baseman bad (without Pedroia I was struggling) so follow my lead and cut ties with those guys who aren’t helping you but you love rooting for.

Alright so at last check my #1 team (or at least my favorite of my five leagues) The Boston Lagers was sitting in 4th place…with some savvy trades and the rise of NL ace Josh Johnson I find myself in 3rd and climbing…I may actually have a shot at this thing!

Boston Lagers (ESPN-Custom) 10 Team, Standard scoring (with XBH extra base hits and OBP on base percentage) as the two extra stats in hitting and (K/9 strikeouts per 9 innings pitched and BAA batting average against) as the two added pitching stats. Roster = C, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, UTIL, UTIL. Current Place-3rd

This league has mostly savvy fantasy players with a handful of baseball fan newcomers…the draft was competitive (see draft review in Fantasy Update #1) and the talent is spread out.

HITTING:

C-Mike Napoli-His AVG (251) has predictably dipped, but his 15 HR’s has been a big help for me.

1st-Prince Fielder-Well 21 HR’s and a 263 AVG is a down year for my first round pick, but I’ve setteled down at yelling at him from my couch.

2nd-Brandon Phillips-Losing Pedroia killed me but after my recent trade for Philips I can breath easy he has had a nice year 299 AVG, 13 HR’s, and 11 Steals.

3rd-Jose Bautista-I can’t believe this guy has kept it going but he has 25 HR’s and counting.

SS-Rafael Furcal-What a nice comeback year from Furcal…333AVG, 15 Steals, and how about 6 HR’s!

OF-Andre Either-He was on fire before the injury, now he has cooled off, but still an asset to this team.

OF-Bret Gardner-I need him for steals here (25 Steals) at least until Ellsbury comes back (please come back!)

OF-Josh Hamilton-What a year for the new Natural, My MVP’s numbers speak for themselves 448 AVG, 22 HR’s, 66 RBI’s, and 53 XBH’s…wow I lucked out.

UTIL-Adrian Gonzalez-I gave up the farm (including V-Mart who I just got via another trade) to get him, but it’s been worth it (20 HR’s and a 307 AVG), this also gives me some flexibility if I need to move Fielder for another need.

UTIL-Lance Berkman-I think his OBP of 369 has allowed me to keep putting him out there, but still I’m waiting for a consistent hot streak…it may not be coming.

UTIL-Juan Pierre-Again until Ellsbury gets back I need him in there everyday.

BENCH- My bench has become a revolving door for spot guys…Rolen, Gomes, J.D. Drew, and Jose Lopez all have come and gone here. D.L. Pedroia and Ellsbury.

PITCHING:

I was panicking for awhile as Liriano was getting tagged, but he has still been good enough to keep putting out there(3.76 ERA and 125 K’s). My ACE Josh Johnson has really been awesome (how bought them 2 shutout innings at the All-Star game and his sub 2.00 ERA how about 1.62…that’s Pedro like!). The rest of my starting staff who include Matt Cain 3.30 ERA, and Zach Grienke 3.67 ERA(who I acquired via trade) have bounced back of late. Relief: Jenks 20, Bell 25, Franklin 17, Axford 11, and now Chris Perez 8 in terms of saves allowed me to trade Papelbon recently. D.L. Josh Beckett.

I hope to keep moving in the right direction.

How am I doing in my other leagues?: 1st place, 2nd place, 2nd place, and 5th Place.

Good luck to all in Fantasy and Reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.