March 6, 2020

Movie Review #69 The Way Back (Plus I rank My Top Ten Sports Films of All Time!) With my recent Talking Flick Podcast appearances!



The Way Back (2020) Ben Affleck, Janina Gavankar, Al Madrigal and Directed by Gavin O’Conner

“I spent a lot of time hurting myself. I made a lot of bad decisions. I have my regrets.” Ben Affleck (Jack Cunningham) 

Director Gavin O’Conner (Warrior, The Accountant) Co-writes and Directs this emotionally charged sports film with a steady hand. He allows Ben Affleck to use his own personal demons to drive a raw performance that turns out to be quite inspiring. O’Conner mostly known for his gritty and action-packed fair, has treaded some of this water before, in 2004 he directed one of my Top Ten favorite sports films of all time Miracle. O’Conner lets the thrill of victory and agony of defeat drive the narrative in Miracle, he at times does the same in The Way Back, only there are added layers of personal growth and redemption. I really like his choice to resist oversimplifying addiction and not running a straight parallel through recovery and success on the court. Both things happen in their own way, and in their own time. I found myself moved by both the choices made in the narrative and with the simple direction. The basketball scenes aren’t awful (though not great either) and the supporting players deliver when given opportunities. If you find yourself moved by this film, do yourself a favor and watch ESPN’s amazing 2011 Chris Herren documentary Unguarded, by Jonathon Hock (you won’t regret it). 

Ben Affleck (BvS, Good Will Hunting) plays Jack Cunningham, a broken man dealing with a family tragedy that drives him into isolation and alcoholism. Obviously, this role cuts close to home for Affleck who himself has dealt with several relapses in his own personally journey to sobriety. While down and out, he is approached by his alma mater (where he was a world class basketball star) to coach the basketball team which has fallen on hard times. Think Hoosiers meets Clean and Sober. The team is young, undermanned, and lacks discipline, but Jack is able to restructure and galvanize the squad through his passion and un-catholic like coaching style. As the team gets on a roll and actually starts winning, Jack is forced to face his past and his demons. Jack’s wife is played beautifully by The League star Janina Gavankar and Brandon Wilson stands out as Point guard and Team Captain Brandon. There are shades of Manchester by the Sea here, but not in a bad way, I had to let the tragedy set in for awhile once it was introduced, but once I accepted it, it was very moving. The Way Back seemingly has a common premise, but it does not play by all the usual beats you may expect. I was impressed that the emotional moments are not all packed into the third act of the film, but rather scattered about the first and second acts. I was also impressed how Gavin decides to end his film, not simply on a game winning or losing shot, not on a clean and sober Jack, but just on progress. Life is not that simple, and I think this film uniquely captures that (perhaps in doing so costing itself a tinge of emotional impact). The road to recovery is long, bumpy, and often doesn’t have anything to with a game winner or state title. The Way Back is not Hoosiers, it’s not Miracle, and that’s a good thing. SEE IT! 

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) I am always a sucker for a good sports movie and ever since I was personally touched by addiction and forced to educate myself on the topic, it definitely hits me right in the chest when I watch that suffering. I was pleasantly surprised by The Way Back, Affleck is as good as he has been in years and the film inverts the trope and does something unexpected. It is the best film of the young 2020 year so far and worthy of a 6.5 on the Shawshank Scale

Ranking the Top 10 sports films of all time (cause why not!) subject to change:

1. Field of Dreams
2. Jerry Maguire
3. Major League
4. Moneyball
5. The Hustler
6. Bull Durham
7. Miracle
8. Caddyshack
9. Rocky IV
10. Tin Cup

Shouts: Kingpin, The Fighter, Hoosiers, Seabiscuit, The Color of Money, Slap Shot, Remember the Titans, Rudy, Raging Bull, Rocky 1, 2, 3, 6, and Creed 1 & 2.

BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY RECENT APPEARANCES ON TALKING FLICK:

Talking Flick on Anchor  (The Invisible Man Episode)

Talking Flick on iTunes  (The Invisible Man Episode)

Talking Flick on Anchor   (Rush Hour Episode)

Talking Flick on iTunes  (Rush Hour Episode) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.