March 31, 2009

Fantasy Update #2 (baseball)

I'm sorry I was away for a few weeks, I had a death in the family, hopefully I now can find the time to update more frequently.

So in a note for those who are just becomming fantasy players try to remember practice makes perfect, but nobody gives props to the guy who plays in ten leagues and wins one, try to keep it to a good number. I like 2.5 leagues, this way if you win, your legit, and you are able to stay focussed. Plus having many leagues allows you to be one of those guys who abandons the team that does bad, and stick with the ones who do well. I played in one basketball league this year, and was in the tank all year...but stuck it out and look to finish in second place now. (top three is what I always aim for) So this year I will be in two leagues all year, and propbably one mid season league (head to head). This is a review of my first team.

Team 1 (roto league) pick 5 12-teams

Ok so I just drafted my first fantasy team Redsox Revenge in an unnamed league. Trying to follow my own advice (which is often hard because I hate listening to myself, that's why I have a blog) I drafted a third baseman first.
#1-David Wright-no brainer stays healthy, strong in all catagories-projections 97-34-111-12-309
#2-Chase Utley-even with injury was shocked to get this tandem, I wanted Utley last year no i'm glad he's on my team-projections 109-31-118-11-294
#3-Geovany Soto-Like the tight end in football the catchers go and quick...in this league they tumbled early, I like Soto and took him above Doumit, because of injuries-projections 77-26-94-1-289
#4-Alexi Ramirez-This basically gave me the most dominant infield in th league, and certainly gave me my best ever. Alexi is a high upside guy how woll blossom this year into a legit all-star-projections 117-29-101-17-297
#5-Matt Holliday-This concerns me, but not much I like his average, his speed, and his overall potential, plus I hope the sox get him by the end of the year-projections 117-26-94-31-331

Outfield- Holliday, Ibanez, Werth, Dunn, and Eithier...Like this outfield, no big names that are locks but Eithier is a nice bench guy to grab, also with Dunn playing First and OF it opens things up if my boy Derek Lee decides to have a big year.

Infield-1st-Dunn/Lee 2nd-Utley 3rd-Wright/Lowell Short-Ramirez Catcher-Soto/Posada...this is my best infield ever, I have two good cathers, and a top three at their postion in three spots, I will end up with another player like Jed Lowrie for some flexibility, but for now this is the balance I set out for after last year I blew up with problems. I have just enough speed to not concede the stat, but I won't win it.

bench includes currently Derek Lee, Jorge Posada, and Mike Lowell

Starters-Oswalt,Bedard,Kuroda, Way-Rod, J Sanchez, J Smoltz, Penny...My ptiching staff is a little average, but Oswalt will have a big year, after that I put my money where my mouth was with Kuroda, Bedard, and Way-Rod. I like Sanchez but he will move around along with Penny as I do my usual matchup type pitching style. This is where 80% of my roster changes come.

Relief Pichers-Joe Nathan, and Brian Fuentes...Need I say more, I am aware I need one more guy here but I have time to get it because I have two guys who are 30+ guaranteed due to the nature of their teams close games, and the lights out stuff they have. After I see how some of my starters pan out I will pick up a closer or lights out set-up man to help with whip and era.

Team 2 drafts tomorrow for me I will get an update as soon as I can...good drafting everyone, hope your teams do well.

9 comments:

  1. Nick, some athletes wear a uniform and that's all it is to them. Guys like Clemmons, A-Rod, Giambi, Abreau, they wear a Yankees uniform. A-Rod is an a-hole because he makes bad choices, not becuse he wears pinstrips. Clemmons was an a-hole long before he donned a Bosox uni. and he looked like an a-hole in that suit sweating bullets in front of that judge last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah that one was just to pick on him...to me A-Rod is an A-hole because that's who he is. I consider the Red Sox lucky that they did not get him, and as for the hated Yankees, now that we have won I hate them a little less, and Jeter is growing on me a bit...but love the rivalry that makes for the best in sports.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of talk about my beloved Yankees, and our third basemen A-Rod. Regardless of opinion he is stil one of the best hitters in the game today. If you check any fantasy draft over the last three to five years he probably was drafted higher than any Red Sox hitter. Anyway enough of that.

    Both Yanks and Sox went down today, hard. Sox went down getting only two runs on eight hits, c'mon I would hope you can do better than that. I noticed that there are three batters on the Sox that are o fer on this season, like in no batting average, care to comment on that?

    Derek Jeter went 2 for 4 with a homer and 2 rbi's not a bad day at the office. Manny went 2 for 4 with three rbi's not bad for a cast off.

    I heard on Colin Cowherd, B. Westbrook talk about da Iggles having an interest in Ocho Cinco. Comparison talk came up between Ocho and T.O. and the problems they bring to their teams. T.O. is a like a computer worm that destroys everything in it's path. Ocho is just infantile basically harmless. Another kid who never got much attention from Momma. Ocho can bring alot to this team for sure. I was reading on Yahoo sports that Philly is interested in drafting 2 RB's in this draft. If I was Westbrook I'd be looking out for my own job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I agree the eagles need a possession receiver big time, so getting a Ocho Cinco or a Marvin Harrison would do wonders, even T. Holt would help. Westbrook needs help anyway, he is a huge part of that offense but can't carry the load for the whole year anymore. I thought Buckhalter going to the Broncos was a steal. Maybe they can get Beanie Wells, I hear a lot of good things about him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some might say the Yankees and C.C. are looking pretty good right now. They beat a Royals team who as of today are as good as anyone's "Sox" @ 2-3. C.C. had a shutout through 7 not bad for a guy that is big enough to be a small offensive lineman in the nfl. Swisher looks like a viable pick up for the Yanks 3 rbi's and 2 dingers. If he continues to hit at this pace he could be one of our best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yankees, Boston lose, Dodgers win! Nick Swisher highest batting average on the team. Baltimore Oriels, suck Tampa Bay continue to win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Bosox have gained some ground. We're tied in the A.L. East. Interesting side bet we have going on the upcoming NYY vs. Bos series. Jeter vs. Big Papi. total Bases, RBI, & batting avg. The stakes are high on this one for sure. Nick I'm pretty hungry so start saving your money and plan that trip to the AM/PM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not worries Jeter is on fire, but Papi went the other way once, no he is on fire as well...the sox take two of three in this one, and Papi breaks off a homer or two...and then I will enjoy some kitkats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A-Rod is perceived as an A-Hole...well this matter was discussed at length today on break. I got answer, I believe when the truth came out it seemed to be more of envy than anything else. One could deny or spin but the truth came out. No water boarding or filthy naked pyramids, none of that which caused a scandle over in Gitmo, just two men talking like men and the truth came out. Thanks for your honesty there Devil Dog. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.