November 6, 2009

Fantasy Basketball Update #1 (with Draft Special) Plus Fantasy Football Update 6.5

One day I got up and went to my normal (ok I'm up and need noise to further wake me up) channel (ESPNEWS), and while I'm waiting for breaking news, or NFL updates...I'm pestered by this nagging little thing called "NHL scores" that keeps me from finding out the really important stuff in the ticker. Now I'm a fan of the NHL (to the extent that I will watch and root for the Bruins in the playoffs...and I like Sid the Kid over Ovechkin), but this was pretty annoying having to wait for the good stuff while some meaningless early NHL stats fly by...the good news was my brain immediately jogged the memory of "NBA FANTASY DRAFT" this weekend...so I put in the work and this is how it turned out.

First Ten Picks
1.Chris Paul-no surprise there...a toss up between Lebron and Paul
2.Lebron James-Going #2 is fine
3.Kevin Durant-He is starting slow but I really liked him
4.Dwayne Wade-(MY PICK)Was #1 Fantasy player last year...I'm glad to have him on my team
5.Danny Granger-This pick will end badly
6.Kobe Bryant-A team from my hometown picked from our arch-enemy...for shame!!
7.Deron Williams-He is my favorite non-Celtic...I will miss him this year
8.Kevin Garnett-This was too high, but if he wanted him, then he had to grab him I suppose
9.Dwight Howard-A statistical monster
10.Jason Kidd-Wow an awful, awful, awful pick...and he beats his wife

My Draft
1. (4) D. Wade-MVP like player...blocks, steals, FT% is great, and he's easy to root for
2. (17) C. Anthony-I have always liked him since Syracuse...hopefully he matures this year
3. (24) G. Arenas-I think he is back totally and I really like him this year
4. (37) D. Harris-I thought this was good value here
5. (44) R. Westbrook-3 PG's in a row, a trade is in my future
6. (57) Al Harrington-A very underrated player
7. (64) A Bargnani-I fell for this guy last year even though he is the dork of NBA
8. (77) J. Richardson-My first mistake pick, I really hate A. Bynum (who was available here), but he was just what I needed on this team...I hope J-Rich rebounds and works out
9. (84) C. Kaman-He is playing well, but will slow down when B. Griffen comes back
10. (97) K. Love-He is injured, but another I like rooting for
11. (104) B. Griffin-Love this guy, will be a great NBA player...I can afford to wait
12. (117) M. Beasley-He could be ok...or he could end up with Dr. Drew
13. (124) -J Flynn I like him, but I needed rebounds so I immediately dropped him for my boy DeJuan Blair

League 1 (Celtic Pride) Roto, Start 5, plus a Guard, Forward, and 3 UTIL's
I was overall satisfied with my team...my backcourt of Arenas/Wade is great, and my front court of Melo/Harrington/Bargnani is also fine. My one real weakness is a legit big man...I wanted Boozer but he went early...so I will have to either cede rebounds or make a move. In less of course DeJuan Blair gets the minutes he deserves.

UPDATE-It was early to assume that points wouldn't be a problem for my team, but I made the call and sent Gilbert Arenas packing for a big man (that I was in need of) Al Jefferson. I really think it brought balance to my lineup.

Some Advice from a guy in his 2nd year of Fantasy basketball-Ok I'm not a rocket scientist when it comes to basketball but this kid Brandon Jennings of the Bucks can ball...and look out for the big man shooting three's like it's going out of style Channing Frye of the Suns. Keep an eye on Johnny Flynn(MIN), Ryan Anderson(ORL), and Danilo Gallinari (NYK)as well.

For Now In NBA-There won't be a Bet on this section right now, but in my next update I will include five games I like. Fantasy Basketball updates will not occur weekly like football updates (mostly anyway...on a bye this week you only get a 6.5) however when the football season ends they will appear more frequently.

Fantasy Football Update 6.5 (week 8)
Ok so I couldn't resist talking about SteveSlatongate and how it killed me, along with a John Carney's missed field goal so I lost in League 1 100-102 (Pats 2-6 record) and that folks might be it for my playoff hopes, in League 2 63-71 (Dirty Dawgs 4-4 record) Favre did everything I asked of him when I drafted him for Brady's bye week, but B Marshall and M Lynch did not...oh well 0-2 for the week...fantasy gods are indeed angry with me. Update: on League 2 Just made a deal sending Favre (who I won't use now that Brady is back) for G Jennings (another option) right at the trading deadline...trades in this league have really turned my mediocre draft into a nice well balanced team. Full Updates are back next week. Good Luck...GO GET J CHARLES...and if you got Ryan Moates I hate you!!!!

Bet on this! (just don't at mad at me)
-We had a very solid week 8, where we hit 2/3 of our Like em picks-(7/9 for year). Again we hit one of our 3 if you can stomach em (upsets) CAR @ARI to make us 3/9 on year, and of course the creme de la creme we hit our first legit 1 Parlay HOU (-3) @ BUF, CHI (-13.5) vs CLE, and the over in the MIN @ GNB game 45 (actual 64)...making our total parlay picks 7/9 on year. So not bad, if you listened to this guy and this blog...you made some cash. However as a reminder...don't get mad at me, if the tide turns.
Like em-ATL (-10) vs WAS-Atlanta off two losses in a row and I don't think I have to say anything about the Redskins, SFO (-4) vs. TEN-The 49ers have lost a few 3 straight and Coach Mike knows he has to win this week against a very mediocre Titans team, or he may have to drop his pants again...and nobody wants that. Lastly try both or just one of these two overs that I like Chi vs ARI (44.5) and/or NWE vs MIA (46.5)-the Pats may not go over, but man I love rooting for Welker TD's.
3 if you can stomach em-CAR ML @ NOR-Yeah not likely but they will run and try to keep the ball out of Brees hands, HOU ML @ IND-These un-beatens have to fall sometime, and they didn't play all that well against San Fran last week, finally I think it is fair to assume that the streaky Chargers can pull one out, SDG ML @ NYG.
1 Parlay-I don't normally like to go with three favorites with high lines but the NFL this year is forcing me into this one...NWE (-10.5) vs MIA, GNB (-9.5) @ TAM, and ATL (-10) vs WAS. Let's see if we can hit two in a row!

Yes yes I am aware the Evil Empire took down the Rebel Alliance again (Yanks won world series), and yes in due time my Baseball year in review will be up...settle down, I am out with Qui Gon looking for a young Luke to train so balance can be restored in the MLB...Jeremy Hermida anyone???

1 comment:

  1. Nice Basketball team! Wade, Melo, and I really like Russell Westbrook,nice draft. I have Howard and KG as my core, I could use some scoring though. Who do you like more J Richardson or K Martin?

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.