June 6, 2010

DVD Review #39

Dear John (2010) Amanda Seyfried, Channing Tatum Directed By Lasse Hallstrom

Lasse Hallstrom has directed some very solid films including What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, The Cider House Rules, and The Hoax so I was surprised to find that he directed Dear John based on the Nicholas Sparks novel (he just oozes sappiness). But then I remembered his more sappy films like An Unfinished Life, Casanova, and Something to Talk About and it made sense. Hallstrom must have a soft spot in his heart for a good sappy tale (I can’t blame him…after all I am reviewing and watched Dear John…and I am a closet The Notebook fan so I I’m guilty here as well).

Dear John is the heartwarming story of John Tyree (played 50/50 by Channing Tatum) {what I mean by 50/50 is that he is at times horrible…roughly 50% let’s say and at times actually pretty good…the other 50%...he is the guy who destroyed my child hood hero DUKE playing him horribly in the 2009 G.I. Joe film, so it is hard for me to cut him some slack} who is in the Army Special Forces when he meets the love of his life…Savannah Curtis (played charmingly well by Amanda Seyfried). After a pretty cheesy first encounter these two love birds sort of grow on you. Unfortunately for John seeing as though he is in the Army he is forced to go away and serve his country, while away he receives letters from Savannah (hence the Dear John title) which keep them as close as they can be. The two grow apart and well for the rest you will just have to watch I suppose. The both redeeming and interesting part of this story actually doesn’t take place within the love story between John and Savannah, but instead it is between John and his father (played well by the brilliant actor Richard Jenkins). Because of that story line I actually think this movie turns out to be pretty guy friendly, there is enough military footage and male centered story here to carry a guy through the whole film. I ended up liking this film and would put it 3rd on my Cheesy Nicholas Sparks adapted films list right behind The Notebook (2004) and Message in a Bottle (1999). It is a workable date movie and a solid and easy watch.

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) Nicholas Sparks really lays it on here with a story that includes young love, autism, horses, military deployments, letter-writing, and father/son redemption…phew jeez dude anything else?…how freaking bad do you want us to cry? Dear John kind of makes it all work though for the most part…I didn’t cry but still think it is worthy of 6.0 on the Shawshank Scale.

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah cute is a good word, I actually thought the story line though a tad sloppy was refreshing...worth a watch

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.