October 20, 2009

Fantasy Football Update #5 (week 6)

Quote of the week " "Smells like...Victory" (From Coppola's great film Apocalypse Now). For two weeks (4, 5) we took a beating on the fields of Fantasy Football. We also just did so-so in our "Bet On This" debut feature...well after a two week bye I'm here to tell you we are back with a vengeance and it Smells Like Victory. I broke losing streaks in both leagues by going 2-0 this week, but more importantly my teams came together to set a scoring record in one league...and to sneak me back into contention in the other. During the two weeks I was gone (for personal and homework reasons) several moves were made and I won't be covering all of them, however I will break down this past week and try my best to fill in the blanks. (note for those who wanted some more info on how my picks are doing and how I rank nationally with fantasy...in ESPN PigSkin Pick Em I rank in the top 84.4%, in College Pick Em I rank in the top 78.4%, and in the Eliminator Challenge I won the week with PIT over CLE to keep my streak alive, this week I go with NWE over TAM, and finally in ESPN Gridiron Challenge (national fantasy game) I rank in the top 91.5% with 704 points. Let's break it down.

Pats (League 1) 10 team, standard scoring (ESPN) Record 2-4 (6th) Points 610 (3rd)
I fought hard facing again a worthy advisory...no freebies for me this season, I won 153-147
QB-Brady-53 Points, 380 ps yds, 6 TD's...he's back
RB-C Benson-10 Points, 44 rush yards, 1 TD...still a starter every week
RB-S Slaton-20 Points, 43 rush yards, 102 rec yds, 1 TD, 1 FUM...he is back to form
RB-K Smith-6 Points, 61 rush yards...he is hurt by being the only threat in that offense
WR-M Colston-24 Points, 166 rec yds, 1 TD...a #1 receiver any questions?
TE-K Winslow-2 Points, 29 rec yards, 4 targets...Witten on bye, I tried to pull a fast one
K-M Crosby-15 Points, 4/4 FG's, 2/2 XP's...thank you Mr. Crosby
DEF-Patriots-23 Points, 2 INT's, 3 FR's, 0 points allowed...wow
Bench-Almost started Lynch (7 Points) but decided against it for K Smith...only missed out on 1 point. Julius Jones (0 Points) is fading fast, but I'm still not ready to give up. Witten, Gore, on bye and C Johnson not active for game.
Moves-So after the ditching Ray Rice (mistake) for K Smith I feel dirty...but I do hold out hope that the Lions will get healthy again and he will produce once more. I sent Reggie Bush Packing for Lynch who I like more, and added the Charges D/ST for week 8 (they play Oakland).
Week 7 lineup-subject to change-Brady (@TAM), F Gore (@HOU), S Slaton (SFO), C Benson (CHI), M Colston (@MIA), J Witten (ATL), M Crosby (@CLE), Patriots D/ST (@TAM)

Dirty Dawgs (League 2) 10 team, non-standard scoring (CBS) Record 3-3 (2nd) Points 415 (2nd) We won 129-80
Trade update:Made a move sent C Johnson, J Addai, and T Heap out for C Benson, B Marshall, V Shiancoe...it was a year making deal for this team.
QB-Brady-53 Points, 380 ps yds, 6 TD's...um Jeff Fisher, Dan Synder is on the phone for you
RB-Benson-6 Points, 1 TD...got him in steal of a trade and feel much better about my team
RB-T Jones-24 Points, 210 rush yards, 1 TD...if we redrafted today he goes in the 2nd round
WR-B Marshall-0 Points, 49 rec yards...he should score points every week
WR-W Welker-24 Points, 150 rec yards, 2 TD's...he is a huge part of Pats offense
TE-T Gonzalez-12 Points, 52 rec yards, 1 TD...every week he puts up numbers he is a machine
K-S Hauschka-7 Points 1/2 FG's, 4/4 XP's...should have won the game for the Ravens
DST-Eagles-4 Points, 2 INT's, 2 sacks...not a horrible performance
Bench-Well Favre played well again (26 Points), C Williams showed up (8 Points), as did B Berrian (6 Points), but the only guy that would have done better for us here was V Shiancoe (15 Points) who has been great as of late.
Week 7 lineup-subject to change-Brady (@TAM), T Jones (@OAK), C Benson (CHI), M Lynch (@CAR), W Welker (@TAM), T Gonzalez (@DAL), K Brown (SFO), Eagles D/ST(@WAS)

Some Advice from the guy who is 2-4 and 3-3-Well I would be the first to admit that with these records I may not be the first guy you want to take advice from...however my points overall (2nd and 3rd) would indicate that I am still doing something right so for what it's worth...Watch the defenses of opposing teams and continue to play your match ups (play any passing offense players against TENN and so on)...ride the hot hand of those who are...well hot (Favre, Brady, Colston, Schaub). Don't settle for a crappy D/ST...find yourself a favorable matchup (even if its on the road) and go after it...(some week 7 notables-GNB @ CLE, IND @ STL, NYJ @OAK, CINN vs CHI, and SDG @ KAN)...you need turnovers so play the defense that will get them...meaning Cutler gets picked off...play a defense against Cutler!

Keep an eye on-Sidney Rice, 23 rec, 409 yrds, 2 TD's...he is a top Favre target, Justin Fargas, he is getting a lot of touches and I have a hunch he finds the endzone a few times in the next few weeks. C Buckhalter is back, but only grab him if there is nobody else because Moreno is still going to steal the show...lastly take a good hard look at both Johnny Knox 224 rec yards and 3 TD's, and Torry Holt 407 rec yards...these guys are just fine as fill-ins for your bye weeks.

Bet on this! (just don't get mad at me)-S0 in week 4 I started this feature and the results were mixed. covered 2/4 in the Like em section, caught 1 underdog in the 3 if you can stomach em section, and finally went 2/3 in our parlay for the week. Have caught a few in the last few weeks non better than my two team parlay call on the Texans and Chiefs both ML...paid around 10-1 so lets try this again.
Like em-GNB (-7) @ CLE, HOU (-3) vs SFO, and NOR (-6.5) @ MIA
3 if you can stomach em-ARI ML @ NYG, MIN ML @ PIT, and ATL ML @ DAL...so these three underdogs are not spectacular, but they will pocket you cash even if you catch only one. I listed them in the order I like them and I really have a hunch the Giants Defense got exposed by the Saints and I think Old Man Warner can capitalize.
1 Parlay-take the over in the Pats game (45ish) and the Pats (-13.5), then toss on Packers (-7).

BASEBALL UPDATE-I decided that the logical thing to do is to hold my baseball year in review until the World Series is determined...the review will cover my 2 fantasy leagues and break down how my predictions for the year turned out (this will hurt a little).

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your wins this week! I didn't quite pull it off. My record is now 4-2 (1st in points though!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice word Mel points are big it tells you how good your guys are, the record at times is a crap shoot (as is for me this year)...any thoughts on this upcoming week...got a sleeper player for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I changed a couple things. First, I benched the Giants defense for now (Thank goodness I did that last week! They would have given me negative points!). They are up against Arizona this week, who has been pretty strong lately. So I am playing the Saints defense instead.

    Also, I dropped Chris Cooley this week and picked up Visanthe Shiancoe (TE, Vikings). Washington's offense hasn't been doing the greatest, so they say Cooley has been spending more time blocking than handling the ball. Looking at Shiancoe's stats, he's been pretty consistant, and fairly high scoring for a TE. So we'll see how that goes.

    Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Shiancoe is a red zone threat for Favre which is a good thing for his fantasy stats...I do like Cooley he is the best receiver on the Redskins but that doesn't mean much right now. I think the Saints D is good. I do believe with some injuries and poor play the Giants D has been exposed a bit I am even calling for the upset by the Cardinals this week...we will see. Good Fantasy luck and make sure to stay on others peoples drops and try hard to have room on your bench to wait out injured good players that others had to drop (one players trash...is anothers treasure) !!

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.