October 30, 2009

Fantasy Football Update #6 (week 7)

Alright the quote of the week is "Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change", by the American Poet Ralph Waldo Emerson...(and yes people I am quoting Ralph Waldo Emerson in a fantasy football blog-post...deal with it!) I am going to try hard not cry too much about how tough it is to swallow some of the losses I have had this year in League 1. I have a ton of points and though time is running out for my team to make a playoff push, I still have hope that things will balance out over the long haul. It's not all bad as I win in League 2 and continue to get on stride. As the bye weeks continue to annoy us all, we must stay on top of roster moves and pick ups, or we can wave goodbye to playoff hopes. (P.S. love that I nailed the Cardinal upset over the exposed Giants defense!) Let's break it down.

Pats (League 1) 10 team, standard scoring (ESPN) Record 2-5 (8th) Points 730 (2nd)
I was the third highest scorer of the week...but like the common theme of the year, I faced the second highest scorer of the week, I Lost 120-125.
QB-Brady-28 Points, 308 ps yds, 3 TD's...I needed one more TD, Tom
RB-C Benson-26 Points, 189 rush yards, 1 TD...wow what a year he is having
RB-S Slaton-18 Points 67 rush yards, 22 rec yds, 2 tot TD's...he is a threat every game
RB-F Gore-4 Points, 32 rush yards, 15 ps yds...maybe needed one more week to heal
WR-M Colston-13 Points, 72 rec yds, 1 TD...he doesn't drop that TD I win the week :(
TE-J Witten-5 Points, 53 rec yds...one more week like this and I have to call him a bust
K-M Stover-6 Points, 6/6 XP's...I thought I would get at least one field goal?
DEF-Patriots-20 Points, 1 TD, 3 INT's, 3 sacks, 7 points allowed...yeah two bad teams in a row, but this defense looks sharp.
Bench-Lots of bye weeks for my bench, the sad news is if I had started M Lynch (10 Points) I would have won the week, but it is hard not to start a guy like F Gore. J Jones, C Johnson, K Smith, and M Hasselbeck all on byes.
Moves-I'm not giving up on him but I needed the roster spot, so J Jones took a hike for the Bears DEF who has a nice matchup this week (CLE), also ditched the Matt (I only kick f-ing xtra points) Stover for the less aggravating John Carney. This is a must win week for me and my starting QB is the Boston boy Hasselbeck...please please do well!!
Week 8 lineup-subject to change-M Hasselbeck (@DAL), K Smith (STL), S Slaton (@BUF), F Gore (@IND), M Colston (ATL), J Witten (SEA), J Carney (ATL), Bears D/ST (CLE)

Dirty Dawgs(League 2) 10 team, non-standard scoring (CBS), Record 4-3 (2nd) Points 521 (2nd) Week 7, We won 106-39 (week high 2nd week in a row)
QB-Brady-30 Points, 3 TD's...I'm not getting made fun as much these days for my #1 pick
RB-C Benson-20 Points, 1 TD, 189 rush yards...wow he really was pissed at the Bears!
RB-T Jones-14 Points, 121 rush yards, 1 TD...Drafted as my #1 RB...it is working out fine
WR-W Welker-14 Points, 107 rec yds, 1 TD...Brady and Welker, the safest duo in the league
WR-S Breaston-0 Points, 23 rec yds...expected Boldin to be out
TE-T Gonzalez-3 Points, 37 rec yds...I'm a little concerned...just a little though
K-K Brown-7 Points, 1/1 FG's, 3/3 XP's...whatever he's a kicker
DST-Eagles-18 Points, 1 TD, 6 sacks, 1 INT...stud defense, even without Dawkins
Bench-Again in this league the bench is much deeper, really only Favre (12 points), Lynch (6 points), and the Chargers D/ST (15 points) did anything...most others on the bye. Big week ahead as I lose Welker and Brady to the bye...rooting for Favre magic in Green Bay :)
Moves-Only recent move was picking up Breaston and dropping N Washington, now Breaston is banged up so I am looking at T Holt and possibly others. I have actively been shopping K Orton and Favre to add some depth to my bench.
Week 8 lineup-subject to change-Favre (@GNB), T Jones (MIA), M Lynch (HOU), B Marshall (@BAL), S Breaston (CAR), T Gonzo (@NOR), K Brown (@BUF), Chargers D/ST (OAK)

Some Advice from the guy who is 2-5 and 4-3-It is never to early to start managing your bye weeks, you don't want to make frantic moves just to cover your byes weeks, but thinking ahead is the name of the game. I drafted Favre for this one game in Green Bay...now I hope it works out. Continue to play matchups especially with your DEF, I hate the Bears DEF this year, however against CLE you have to expect turnovers. Young guys are starting to emerge as legit so keep your eyes open and grab those guys who continue to be hot. I will also say that after this week if you have guys who are just flat out not producing (a la LT or J Witten) it might be time to give in and sell low...but give them this week, both with good matchups.

Keep and eye on-Well in my Football 2009 preview (August posting) I claimed that Alex Smith would start before the year is out...here he is and he looks sharp...trust me I am stuck watching Mountain West Football...he was good in college and he will stay the QB from now on. He and Crabtree are going to be a great duo next year and will be solid the rest of this year. I'm sure by now you have heard that L Johnson is a scumbag (shocker) so go out and grab both J Charles and K Smith for K.C. and look for one of those two guys to emerge quickly. And not because I would grab him, but just because I quietly root for him, V Young may in fact be the QB for the Titans the rest of the year. His Fantasy value isn't great...but in 2 QB leagues he may be someone to take a flier on.

Bet on this! (just don't get mad at me)-We had a nice week 7. Like em stats 5/7 covers for year, 3 if you can stomach em stats 2/6 ML dogs have been caught this year, and parlay for the week stats 4/6 in picks for year.
Like em-CHI (-13.5) vs CLE, HOU (-3.5) @ BUF, and DET (-4) vs STL.
3 if you can stomach em-SEA ML @DAL (yeah crazy, but off the bye the Seahawks always play well, though this is on the road so it is scary). JAC ML @ TEN (why not they should still be able to throw all day on that secondary), and finally CAR ML @ ARI...well Warner is old right? I hope you catch one and although none of these games have me as confident as I was with that ARI over NYG last week...I stand by JAC the most, though it will pay the least.
1 Parlay-Take the over in the Favre superbowl (cause it will be great rooting for points 45), HOU (-3) @ BUF, and give the points in a bounce back week in CHI town (-13.5) vs CLE. Good Luck!!

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Nick. It's not too late for things to turn around for ya. Tough break though playing the second highest scorer. You are rocking it with your points though. I'm second highest in my league with 677. You've got everyone in my league beat!

    Changes I made this week - I dropped Isaac Bruce after letting him nap on my bench for a while. Picked up Sindey Rice (Min) (was surprised he was still available). Still playing Rivers over Flacco. And stilll playing the Saints def over the Giants. Both decisions have been working for me lately - I think this week will be no different. I'm currently 5-2, 3rd in my league (2nd in my div).

    It's getting a little annoying though because there are a couple people in the league that are no longer managing their teams. That's the hard part about public leagues. I think next year, I'm going to have to gather 10 people I know and create a private league.

    Okay, now that I've hijacked your blog, I'll quit rambling. Good luck this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sidney Rice is great, in a small league I'm in, I am playing him over Andre Johnson this week. I like Flacco this week, but San Diego plays Oakland so it is tough to bench Rivers...however my instincts (and the numbers) suggest that San Diego will give LT his much deserved last chance to run the crap out of the ball on a bad run defense...which could skinny Rivers stats. The Saints Def is good but watch out this week, as the Falcons can put up points you are going to need a turnover from Matty "ice" Ryan. Keep an eye out for these two K.C. runners they one of them in that system is going to emerge (though it may take a few weeks) K.C. plays bad run defenses all year. There is nothing more frustrating then someone whop doesn't do their lineup in a league. I am in too very competitive leagues so no trouble there...however in a small league I have seen this problem already...next year I'll invite you to one of mine, or create and be the Commish of your own (so you can make changes if need be) and this will happen less...and it is always more fun to play with people you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Parlay!!!!!!!!!!!! Thnx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah finally hit the full parlay that was cool, now 7/9 on parlay picks, after catching another underdog we are 3/9 there and averaging a dog a week :), and finally 2/3 three this week in my Like Em section...to make me 7/10. Not exactly Bill Simmons but we are hanging in there...Good Luck i'll get right to work on next week!

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.