October 30, 2010

Fantasy Football Update #7 2010 (Week 8)

Fantasy Football Update #8 and Week 8 Preview + My Picks


NFL

People are likening the NFL these days to reality TV, they say things like “this is the best reality TV you can find” well except for blurred out hot tub boobies and catfights I suppose they are right…(did I forget to mention the near fatal encouragement of overdrinking…(”hey my producer just bought us another bottle!”). I feel sorry that some of the biggest storylines this year have been reality TV-esque. I actually mostly hate reality TV, I don’t like seeing un-redeeming people sell out for fame, but that’s just me, I understand the entertainment value I suppose. So in week 8 of the NFL season, with a sport I love, I find myself slightly turned off by the Randy Moss/TomBrady hair catfight story or the Penis Pics Brett Favre story…you see the center of any sport is the game itself…we have too many sideline reporters too many sideline stories. Smart people who love the game just want it to be about the game, if we want to see people make bad decisions and do disappointing things, we can just look in the mirror and save some cash on the NFL package, come on NFL clean it up, and ESPN lay off the stuff that is just more fit for TMZ. Thankfully while my disappointment in this stuff lingers I have the NBA starting and the World Series still going (though it should be over by now MLB…baseball has to finish sooner!). Ok now let’s break down some fantasy and make some picks!

A stunning upset 105-97 loss to an Underdog StinkN Pete team has sent my Dirty Dawgs to a more modest 5-2 record entering in what is my worst “talent is on the bye” week. I was shocked to lose last week and blame it solely on the fact that I thought (TE) Antonio Gates wouldn’t play so I put (TE) Ben Watson in and he totally flat-lined with 1 point on one catch for 18 yds. Oh well we live and learn; now my mediocre and underdog bye week lineup must step up!

Week 8 lineup (subject to change)-QB T Brady, RB Ryan Torain, RB Knowshon Moreno, WR Deion Branch, WR Jabar Gaffney, TE A Gates, K MIA Dan Carpenter, D/ST Chiefs.

Without Roddy White, Ray Rice, Jeremy Maclin, and Johnny Knox this week I need the Broncos (with Moreno and Gaffney) to step up which seems unlikely because they are going all the way to England…I expect to lose, but anything’s possible!

Some advice from the guy who is 5-2-Most people plan and draft considering the BYE weeks, but some don’t it is time to take advantage of those who don’t, especially in those leagues where you have roster requirements (like must have 2 kickers and so on…). Trade Kickers and D/ST for good upside value if you can afford it. I was recently offered RB J Stewart of Carolina in one of my leagues…for the Dallas Kicker…seriously? Keep your eyes out and don’t be afraid of sending out offers.

Keep an eye on-Brandon Pettigrew (TE) for Detroit, he is a guy that plays well with Matt Stafford (QB) who I also like. This may sound crazy but I like the upside in the next few weeks of the Texans D/ST who after this week play the Chargers at home, then the Jaguars on the road, I think they are getting healthy and will start to gel finally. I’ve been on LeGarrette Blount (RB) now for awhile as a guy to stash away on your bench, well I think it may be time for him to start as a FLEX now, he is clearly the best talent at that postion on TB. He is no sleeper but if you have invested a roster spot on Felix Jones (RB) of Dallas it may finally payoff off for you with Romo out (nobody ever looked happier to break their collarbone ever…he was giddy that he was sidelined after that game) Dallas should run a heck of a lot more. Also I want to ask for permission to get back on the Matt Moore (QB) bus if there is still a seat on it, I think he is solid and am looking forward to seeing get another shot.

Good luck this week…it is brutal with all the byes so expect the unexpected and slot those high upside guys in and cross your fingers!


Bet on this, but don’t get mad at me-(Week 8)

2009 stats-66% on the Like em bets, 26% on the 3 If you can stomach em underdog picks, and 58% on the Parlay to try picks.

2010 stats-52% (9 for 17) on the Like em bets, 50% (9 for 18) on the 3 If you can stomach em bets, and 68% (13 for 19) on the Parlay to try picks.

With another 2 out of 3 underdog take in Week 6 we took Week 7 off to watch a little baseball (and if you liked the Giants and Rangers like I did…you maybe even cashed in on that), but now its time to get serious in Week 8, teams get defined, and things get tough.

Like em-People seem to be having a hard time defining the Dolphins thus far, you can count me as one of those people, but luckily I have defined the Bengals…not good, I’ll take MIA +1 ½ @ CIN, Now I hate to beat a dead horse but those people who picked on me for dogging on the Chargers…where are you now? Look Norv Turner is a total moron and nobody wastes talent like he does, plus anybody been watching this guy Kenny Britt lately? I like TEN +3 ½ @ SDG. Lastly with Jeff Fisher coaching against Norv Turner I expect garbage time points galore for the Chargers so this one (TEN @ SDG) goes Over 44 1/2 .

3 If you can stomach em-I’m 8 weeks into 3 If you can stomach em and still at 50%...this has never happened before, I look to keep it rolling in with these picks: Look I killed Tampa Bay in my preseason column (Football Preview 2010) but I may have to eat my words, Josh Freeman and the guys have some swagger, I’ll take TB +ML @ AZ this week. I would love to bet the Packers against the Jets but I’m holding back as I would love to stay above 50% for another week, so let me give you CAR +ML @ STL instead, the Panthers have too good a coach to just pack it in and in the beginning of the year I really did like Matt Moore…I mean sort of. Lastly and those who read me regularly (and there aren’t many of you!) know where I may go with this one…oh yes my favorite team to bet ML against…the Indy Colts, they have looked beat up, and very pedestrian thus far…mediocrity continues as the Texans outright beat them on Monday Night…seriously take HOU +ML @ IND, The Texans are coming around this year!

Parlay to try-Roll with Over 42 in the SEA @ OAK game as these two teams will be at 30 before halftime, then tack on Over 45 in the WAS @ DET game, and finally add HOU +5 ½ @ IND on Monday night…and you should maybe hedge that if you make it that far…just a thought.

2 to win in College Football-(3-3-1 in 2010)-Ok so we have a very mediocre college record so far so I am going to take this week off so I can re-assess the College landscape and come back firing!

Results will be posted after Week 8

Good Luck in all Fantasy and Reality!

2 comments:

  1. Dude did you win? Crappy Moreno screwed me, he was a monster in college but sucks in the NFL! Oh well I'm still 4-4 but I'm nervous now I won't make the playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did win but didn't even score 90 which wasn't great but i'll take the cheap ones all the same. I still like Moreno and would stick with him if I were you, josh McDaniels is using extremes on offense and he will start running Moreno more. In my other league i'm 4-4 as well, stay on top of things and you will make it!

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.