June 15, 2009

DVD Review #8 He's Just Not That Into You

He's Just Not That Into You (2009) Ben Affleck, Jennifer Connelly Directed By Ken Kwapis

I am ashamed at what just happened while watching this movie. I couldn't sleep and I have had this DVD sitting on my TV for awhile now, I decided let's get it done. So I watched it and I really wasn't all that impressed with what I was seeing, mediocre dialogue, Middle of the road acting, ensemble cast that is often lacking in chemistry...and then out of seemingly nowhere it happened...I F-ing teared up watching Ben Affleck act...not because of what you would think (he is so bad and I couldn't find the DVD remote I started crying...nope that wasn't it) he actually legitimately made me well-up. I for the first time in a long time forgot he was Ben Affleck and saw the character he was trying to play do something...and I got sad. I don't know what to say...if my four blog fans choose to leave now, I will understand. He's Just Not That Into You is an ensemble romantic comedy that tries very hard to give us insight into how silly we all are about relationships. It fights to be smart, cute, progressive, and charming...and for all the fighting...it scores um about half the time...and that isn't bad. Though I can't explain it, I actually cared about several characters. Drew Barrymore, Connelly, Long, and Aniston/Affleck (couple) all had me at the end...everyone else sorta missed. But I gotta tell you for most of us movie fans it's enough to only like about half of these characters. Turtle from Entourage gives it a good shot, but I just didn't love him, and the very cute Ginnifer Goodwin, just doesn't get enough material to make the impact I think they wanted her to make. But that said it is a nice flick, that is a great date movie, and trust me it will make you take a look at your life and your situation...no matter what that situation is. Kwapis (known mostly for directing The Office episodes) does not have a masterpiece here, but this layered story is not easy to tell, and even though halfway through I thought I wouldn't get it...by the end I got it...so much so I teared up a bit...and that is rare for me. I may go out now and hover this book to see what the pace and style of the book are. There are some random people quotes on relationships that felt unnecessary throughout the film... A little forced. I am going to give a solid/marginal recommendation and warn you to keep it on through the rough spots...and feel free to walk away for a soda once or twice...be careful this was a sneaky flick. In addition I suppose I will also settle down the hatespeak (I call him a capped tooth sellout from time to time) about Ben...nice work here...just please stop trying to be Jack Ryan or Daredevil. The soundtrack is pretty good as well...give it a shot...I would love to hear some feedback on this movie...i'm still not sure what just happened.

(The Shawshank 1-10 Scale) This film gets a 6.5, I may never watch it again, but it did make me sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.