June 28, 2009

Fantasy Update #8

Ok so it is the summer time, I took a short little blog-break and now I'm happy in my little loft/office, chilling with my cheese hot dogs (don't judge) and Heineken Light (come on Heineken become a sponsor) and once again it is time to update my many (and by many I mean me and one other guy) blog fans with a fantasy update. I'm still alive despite some awful decisions in both leagues. In the RedsoxRevenge league I'm still in1st with a small cushion, though I did fall out of first for a few days, so the threat is real. In the Soxtown league (6th) my awful pitching choices from earlier in the year have been haunting me, they continue to, although I have some hope in WHIP if I can hang on and get some good pitching over the next week or so. Let's break it down. (Note 12 team mixed)

League One (RedsoxRevenge) Soto Catcher 17/7/24/228avg (Posada came back from injury...but Soto has been so hot I've been offering him in trades lately, still nice to have both) Lee 1st Base 32/11/39/288avg (He has knocked the struggling Dunn out of this spot, and has played very well, I can't believe I cut this guy earlier in the year) Utley 2nd Base 52/16/49/299avg (Chase really keeps my team balanced and makes me forget that David Wright isn't hitting for power) Wright 3rd Base 47/4/39/346avg (He has 19 steals so I'm not going to complain...but really is he only gonna hit what 10 homers...say it isn't so) Ramirez SS 33/9/36/261avg (With 11 steals he is back in my starting spot, he is the player we thought he was...now he has to keep it up on a weird White Sox team) Holiday OF 36/8/39/274avg (8 steals, 8 homers, I hope he finds a new zip code...maybe St. Louis?) Werth OF 50/15/43/269avg (with 10 steals this guy is an everyday starter for most fantasy teams...on my stacked team he is just keeping Ibanez or Manny's seat warm) Dunn OF 34/18/51/256avg (he really helped with power on this team in April/May but he may get benched if he doesn't start producing again 205avg over the last month) Tejada UTIL 40/6/41/330avg (The Stros are sticking around and Tejada is a big reason) On My Bench Manny is still NA but almost back (July 3) Ibanez is on the DL still, and that leaves my bench to only Cody Ross (just picked up) and Posada (trying to find spots for him to play) Really the Ibanez injury has let me play Werth more, which is something I hesitated to do for some reason...I don't know why, he is a fantasy stud. My Pitching has improved slightly though I'm way over on innings, so I have to watch that. I'm lead by the recently picked up Kevin Millwood (2.64 era, 70 K's/ 8 wins), Edwin Jackson (2.40, 79 K's/6 wins), and another new addition Jarrod Washburn (3.22 era, 60 K's/4 wins). My Relief Core still is fine with the very reliable Nathan (18 saves/1.22 era), Fuentes (21 saves/ 3.21 era), and the new add J.P. Howell (4 wins/4 saves/ 1.70 era). On the DL I've got Bedard who I hope comes back soon, and I also have Kuroda (nervous about him) and Smoltz (I have high hopes). I really feel good about this team and think I can win this league as long as I keep up with it, and make some good pitching choices. I felt bad that I had to let go of Oswalt A guy that is easy to root for, and I also hope that ditching W-Rod doesn't come back to bite me in the ass. I continue to look for trades and with Manny coming back very soon, I anticipate a trade in the near future.

League Two (Soxtown) McCann Catcher 22/8/31/323avg (He might be the best hitter on this team and I need him to produce) Helton 1st Base 43/9/53/320avg (It took me awhile to believe, but I'm glad I listened to Nate Ravitz and not only picked him up, but started him daily) Pedroia 2nd Base 54/2/30/292avg (He has 12 steals...but if he isn't going to hit any more homers then I want more steals, and please bring the average up) Youkilis 3rd Base 45/12/42/313avg (He is slumping a bit but I won't complain about his solid numbers) Ramirez SS 33/9/36/261avg (See above) Sizemore OF 32/10/39/229avg (Grady it's nice to have you back...now start hitting the shit out of the ball and get that average up a bit, my team relies heavily on him) Werth OF 50/15/43/269avg (He is more valuable than Dunn right now) Dunn OF 34/18/51/256avg (Right now with this team I don't really have the luxury of being able to bench him, so I hope he picks it up and fast) Ethier Util 39/14/49/264avg (He has been playing well, but is so streaky) On My Bench (With Beltre and Lowell I have no idea what I'm doing with this team at times, so I picked up Konerko for the coming week in hopes of a little power). My Pitching is awful on this team so with ERA kinda conceded I'm just really looking for wins and maybe a miracle with my WHIP. I'm led by Jon Lester (4.68 era, 106 K's/6 wins), Zambrano (3.48 era, 63 K's/4 wins), and Washburn (3.22 era, 60 K's/4 wins). My Relief Core is the only thing about this team I don't have to worry about with Jenks, Franklin, Rodney, and Fuentes all lights out (combined 73 saves). I just picked up Nieve and again I'm really hoping Smoltz comes up big for me here as well. This team needs work, but I'm still close enough to continue fighting to win. I really only have one category that is totally out (ERA) and the rest I just have to fight to get better. I'm in dire need of a trade probably sending a closer out the door to bring in some hitting.

Some advice from the guy in 1st and 6th
It's trade season for the real thing, should be for us dorks as well. Find things you have lots of (i.e. saves) and offer it up to those who need it for value. That sounds so obvious, but I think nobody wants to look at all the numbers because it takes too much time...hey if you want to win, find out the information you need and use it.

Stock Up: Oritz, welcome back Big Papi you were missed. Werth...just a good player, Smoltz, he gets the benefit of the doubt, Wakefield...really could make the all-star game, Manny...expect big things, and Millwood...weird that he is playing this well...some say he will fizzle but my guess is he stays strong.

Stock Down: Dunn...just a bad month hopefully, Dice-K...see you later Dice-K, Chipper Jones...didnt like him in the preseason...still don't, and finally welcome back shitty J.D. Drew...he might heat up soon but I just like having him on this list because of his ridiculous salary.

News and Rants: Really is there any argument...it will be the Sox vs. Dodgers in October and my guess is Manny will hit a walk off homer (of course off of the now shaky Papelbon) to win it all in 7 games (at home when the N.L. wins the All-Star game). These two teams look so deep and so good right now. Some sleepers for the 2nd Half Seattle, and likewise Texas if they can get a pitcher, I like what Tampa is doing, and also keep your eye on the Giants...maybe just a Matt Holiday away from being a Wild Card.

6 comments:

  1. As far as fantasy goes, bring on the "pigskin". I joined a baseball league @ mid-season. we (fellow owners) didn't pay attention to what the commish was up to as far as changing the draft order etc. The commish stacked the draft, and is a cheat. Personally I have no time for anyone with a lack of integrity! I'm not willing to partake in that league, so football here we come.

    I need to get my "home work" done so I can beat Nick, hey Bro your in my sights! LOL! For all who are interested we've got a great "apy league and I'll be starting a "freeby" in either yahoo, CBS, or ESPN I'm not sure which. If interested send a message on this Blog.

    Back to baseball, Boston is on top again. As Big Papi goes so does the Bosox. Good for baseball, and I like Papi as an athlete. Midseason is here so we've got to get on it.

    With Boston running Schmoltz out there with an era of 9.00 I feel confident we can close that gap to 2.5 from the present 3.5 lead they have on us.

    Rivera gets save #500, A-Rod hitting again, and X-man, still hurt...So be it. Brian Cashman came out to speak to the boys and shake things up a bit and it work. Noting like recoving from a tabacco enduced coma...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When all else fails, pray! Yes Bosox drop one, and the Yanks win. their lead is now 2.5 games.

    This is a tough road for Boson this month. With Boston being 5-10 against West coast teams and they having 10 of their next 25 games against the West this will be a tough month for them which is all the better for the Yanks! The Yanks struggle against East coast teams, and having only 3 of 27 games against East coast teams the month of July in in our favor.

    Bragging rights are at stake here and the month of July will tell the story for the American League East.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is true that we struggle against West Coast teams but I think it has a lot to do with the Sox not traveling well, we play most of these games at home so I hope we fair a little better...in reality the Yankees are playing better, but still haven't beat us 8-0 is pretty good so far, and actually the team we both have to really be afraid of is the Rays...they can hit but is their pitching good enough?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I beleive this the A.L. East beleongs to the Yankees and the Bosox. With few exceptions this is true. The Rays are playing well, but they are five games out of first and two games behiend the Yankees.

    Rays facts:
    They have 100 total stolen bases, and h.r's in 77 games. The quickest of five teams in MLB.

    Crawford & Upton are approaching 30 steals each before the Allstar break. Thsi has only been done twice before.

    Traded Abreau to Cleve. for a pitcher of no greater value, no help there. Troy Percilal may retire with shoulder problems, this is not helping their pitching any.

    The Rays have a 213 b.a. with two strikes which is second best in the majors behiend a fouth place Toronto team.

    With this information I don't see where there is all that much to do about the Rays. Seems to me that all the talk about them is to create something fresh to talk about in the A.L. East besides N.Y. & Boston. Wake me when their in the play-offs, huh! Good night now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick if your record isn't so great against a geographical opponents not traveling well would be a factor no, help me out here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rays, Yanks, and Sox all in the top five teams in baseball...we are all playing well...nobody said it was going to be easy and for the record it is more entertaining when it's not. Good baseball year so far lets see Pujols break some records and let's see some good races at the end. Also Wes it's getting to be football time to check out the rankings at the post fantasy Update 8.5 :)

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.