December 29, 2009

DVD Review #21 District 9

District 9 (2009) Sharlto Copley, Jason Cope Directed by Neill Blomkamp

I knew I would eventually get to this film, but to be honest I thought it might have taken longer, that is until I figured out that Sharlto Copley was going to take on the role of one of my favorite characters growing up…”Murdock” from the A-team (anybody remember the episode where Murdock sings about trash bags in a prison cell, frustrating the guards until they eventually give him a trash bag an hour to shut him, then they build a hot air balloon to escape the prison using said trash bags…no?...oh well anyway) I had to check this guy out and see if he was up to the task…Um yeah this guy will be just fine. Peter Jackson (of Lord of the Rings fame) throws an assist to the director Neill Blomkamp, as he helped him get this film to the big screen. Blomkamp seems to have a bright future, as this film is both intelligent and action packed. I think this is kinda what McG was trying to do with Terminator Salvation but failed, here it works perfectly. I don’t think District 9 wins an Oscar, but it wouldn’t shock me (now that the best picture category is 10 films) if it gets some consideration.

District 9 is the story of a stranded Alien Race that has been stuck over Johannesburg, South Africa for years (which is a great location to put this story in). They have been set up in a displacement camp partially quarantined from the human race (though humans do live among them). They are being moved by a private company from the more open District 9 to a more concentration camp like District 10, that is where are man Murdock…I mean Wikus comes in. He heads up the operation to move the Aliens out of District 9 and into District 10…however things don’t go quite as planned. The film does get off to a bit of a slow start, especially if you aren’t into Aliens, but picks up as we watch Wikus struggle through the film. His character is really the only one you connect with throughout the whole film, and if you buy into his situation, my guess is that you will really like the film. I recommend it, and if you do get it…make sure you stick with it till the end…it is a fringe top ten of the year candidate for sure.

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) Aliens, concentration camps, and interbreeding species…ok, toss in a little heart and sympathy and I’m buying it…a worthy 7.0, and just good enough to consider for this year’s top ten.

Food For Thought: Blomkamp has been green lighted for the sequel to District 9 (presumably District 10) and I will be there to see it. Sharlto Copley becomes Murdock next summer for The A-Team with Liam Neeson as Hanibal, Rampage Jackson as B.A. Baracus (Mr. T), and Bradley Cooper as Pretty Boy “Face”…I’m giddy!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah this may have been the best film I saw this year. I did like Avatar as well.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.