December 16, 2009

Fantasy Football Update #11 (week 15 playoff week 2)

Ok so how can I be happy with a 1-2 week...let me tell you, I started out in the ESPN League 1 (Pats) 2-6 and now I'm competing for a 3rd place spot (which is in the money if you play that way) so I can't complain there, it was a long road back and I had to sacrifice some of my awesome playoff week guys (T-Jones) in order to build that 5 game winning streak that got me in. In CBS League 2 (Dirty Dawgs) I put together an impressive win that puts me into the final four (3 week playoff format) against one of the better teams in the league (I am defending champ in this league so I suppose this would be the one I really wanted, if I had to choose). In the mysterious 3rd league I did lose but I don't feel bad about it because I didn't follow my own advice (never start old man Warner in the playoffs...he can't be trusted!) so I deserved to lose...I am competing for fifth in that league. Brady has killed me all year, but to make the playoffs in all three leagues despite that, I have no problem calling this year a success...Ok enough of that, it ain't over yet! (Quote of the week) “About the only difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is the way you use them.” Meltzer Let's break it down!

Pats (League 1) 10 team, standard scoring (ESPN) Record 7-7 (playing for 3rd place), Points 1383 (3rd).
I faced my fantasy arch-nemesis Gridiron Greats and like last year he knocked me out...I will point out that I did have the 2nd highest total of the week, so I would have beat the other two teams (who played each other in a 4 team/2 week playoff system). 149-103 was a tough score but I got C Johnson-ed and J Charles-ed. Looking at that roster and those match-ups I was happy to be in it as long as I was. Another bright spot within the loss was that I started all the right guys...I left C Johnson (3 pts), A Boldin (2 pts), and Matt Forte (6 pts) all on the bench in favor of F Jackson (11 pts), C Benson (9 pts), F Gore (25 pts), and W Welker (12 pts), so I was happy with making the right calls, I just had a tough opponent, and I would've tried to make it work out to play someone else in week 1 of the playoffs, but I was unable to do that because of my 2-6 start and the tough road I had to walk, just to get in. Ok no more excuses I am playing for third place and I have to get it done. Congrats to Gridiron Greats as he tries to go back-to-back in this league.
Week 15 (Final Week playing for 3rd) lineup (subject to change)-T Brady (@BUF), F Gore (@PHI), C Benson (@SDG), A Boldin (@DET), W Welker (@BUF), D Clark (@JAC), K Brown (@STL), and the Seahawks D/ST
I may find a way to get C Johnson in there somewhere, it's too hard to bench Boldin against Detroit right now though. I feel confident and would love to finish 3rd, it would be a nice if not great comeback story for me.

Dirty Dawgs (League 2) 10 team, non-standard scoring (CBS), Record 7-7 (2nd), Points 971 (3rd)...(in final four in a 3 week playoff format, playing for a Superbowl berth...I'm defending champ)
In this league where 8 of 10 get into the playoffs you have to shape your team around the playoff weeks, I did that and got the balance I was looking for. In a 93-55 week one playoff win I was paced by the unbelievable B Marshall and his record setting 21 catch performance (28 pts), I also had T Jones (14 pts), W Welker (8 pts), T Gonzalez (6 pts), and the Eagles D/ST (19 pts). Brady and Benson both didn't play great, but it didn't matter as I had enough good match-ups to pull off a solid win. I scored the 2nd highest score of the week, but the guy who scored the most of the week is who I have up next...it is going to be tough.
Week 15 (playoff week 2, final four, trying to get back into Superbowl for the 2nd year in a row) lineup (subject to change)-T Brady (@BUF), C Benson (@SDG), T Jones (ATL), Brandon Marshall (OAK), W Welker (@BUF), T Gonzalez (@NYJ), K Brown (@STL), and the Eagles D/ST (SFO).
I have enough good match-ups to win here, but my opponent has C Johnson, R Rice, and R Williams...so I am going to need another break out a la B Marshall type game from somebody...with any luck it's W Welker (who needs to get in the end zone for me) so I can benefit from Brady as well, if Brady lays another egg...I'm playing for 3rd in another league.

Fantasy Basketball Note-Still holding on to 1st place thanks to Tyreke Evans and the resurgent Al Jefferson...D Wade is killing me the last week or so as well. Full updates still coming soon!

Baseball Update-Cliff Lee and R Halladay will be fantasy studs next year...but let's mention whats important...RED SOX (who else)-John Lackey isn't great as an ace...but as a #3 for the next 5 years...um that's pretty good, and his playoff record is great (although why does he always look homeless with his ten o'clock pm beard at noon thing?)...I am sad that we won't be getting M Holiday from the looks of it, and if we don't get A Gonzalez for the Padres and we settle on A Beltre instead, the offense will be in trouble, and I'm not sure Papelbon will be able to close all those close (pitching/defense) type games.

No Bet on this segment this week-not enough lines up at the time of posting-but we had a good week last week-I will mention that the Colts should lose to the Jags (if the line goes up and if its more that 3 1/2 bet it ML) and I think that Patriots and the Giants will both cover whatever the line is.

Good Luck to all in Fantasy and Reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.