May 24, 2010

DVD Review #37

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (2009) Heath Ledger, Chrisopher Plummer Directed By Terry Gilliam.

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus was sold as Heath Ledgers last film. In fact because he died before shooting was finished he is replaced in the film by three big actors (and because this is a Terry Gilliam film of 12 Monkeys fame) this occurs seamlessly and flawlessly. This film is slow, it is full of messages, subtext, hidden gems, and random oddness, but what else would you expect from Gilliam(who made his name first with the Monty Python group)? I really had a hard time staying with it…that is until the last 30 minutes where I was sucked into the weirdness enough to enjoy the film, it is truly a masterpiece of oddness and if you are looking for abstract inspiration this is your type of film.

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus is the story of a traveling troupe who sells adventure and mystery when you enter their “Imaginarium”. The leader of this group of misfits is Dr. Parnassus (played wonderfully by Christopher Plummer who is always good). He had once made a deal with the devil (this movie has many biblical undertones…many that I don’t understand) and the devil has come to collect. At the same time his show isn’t doing well and through some luck they run into an amnesic traveler (played well by Heath Ledger, Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell. and Jude Law) who claims he can increase business and thus help Dr. Parnassus. Beyond that you’re on your own with the plot of this film that is at times too dark and a bit hard to follow (which btw I think is by design), though I will say if you can make until the end, I really feel that you will be satisfied. Lily Cole gives a stand out performance as Valentina who is Dr. Parnassus’s daughter and Verne Troyer (Mini-Me from Austin Powers) gives a sneaky good performance as the Doctors partner and confident. You have to watch the whole film, you have to watch it on a nice TV, and you have to be drunk, high, or on drugs probably to fully understand this film (I was sleepy and I think that helped…but I’m too old and boring for the other stuff), but even if you watch it in a totally normal condition I promise the look of it will draw you in toward the end and in its own odd…really odd way, it will charm you in and I think you will like it.

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) It is a strange film, but an amazing watch in terms of the visual and the story is just good enough to keep you hanging on so I can give it a good 6.0 on the scale. I recommend you watch it while playing Genesis songs in the background…it will be incredible.

1 comment:

  1. I watched it and loved it, I thought it was an amazing achievement and I agree that it got really good toward the end. Full of metaphors and splendid scenery!!!

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.