May 4, 2010

Fantasy Baseball Update #3 How many Outfielders does it take to win a league championship?

A quick side-note: If you haven’t seen it yet, check out ESPNs 30 for 30 series…it’s great, and a must see for all Fantasy Players is the recent episode called “Silly Little Game” about the creators of Fantasy Sports, it’s really good television.

The baseball season is five weeks young, it’s a big enough sample size to see what your team lacks so you can make those crucial adjustments that keep you competitive. I would still say it’s too early to really be conceding stats (unless you drafted with that strategy) so the best thing to do is to keep your team well rounded and address all those areas that you’re not doing well in. There are plenty of guys that already look like busts just look at my team…I’m talking to you Prince Fielder (5th overall pick) and Grady Sizemore (4th round pick) but don’t freak out just yet (although I did offer up Fielder in a deal already…so I’m not the best at staying calm either). The flip side of that is that there are plenty of guys out there that are a surprise That’s you David Freese and Doug Fister so what I like to do (and what I suggest to you), is grab as many of these surprise guys that you can and have them fill in until your big dogs come back to life…please come back life! That’s you Prince Fielder again!

Stock Up: A ton of young guys are stepping up and delivering in baseball early. It remains to be seen how many of them will continue this success all year but for now, grab them and ride their success as long as you can. David Freese is batting 358 with a 404 OBP in 23 games for the Cardinals, he should be on a roster in every 10 team mixed league. Though it pains me to say it (cause I’m a Red Sox fan) Bret Gardner is playing great for the Yanks, he has 11 steals and is batting a crazy 347, with Curtis Granderson out now for a month, expect Gardner to be a huge part of the offense. Two young pitchers that have to be picked up and kept on your roster are Jaime Garcia and Doug Fister who both have ERAs under 1.30. Other guys worth looking at and are not owned in most leagues are: Kevin Millwood (in 40 innings a 3.15 ERA and 1.25 WHIP), Colby Lewis (38 K’s in 32 innings and a 2.76 ERA), Adrian Beltre (333AVG and 8 XBH’s), and how about Kosuke Fukudome (who nowhere near enough people own) who is batting 342 to go along with his 438 OBP and 5 HR’s. (Bonus Guy: Former Fantasy prospect Chris Young looks to have sort of got his shizzle back together with a 300 AVG and 24 RBIs in 100 at-bats…but be cautious as he has already struck out 23 times).

Deep Sleepers-Welcome to the big leagues Rockies pitcher Jhoulys Chacin…along with having an awesome name, (that sounds like a strip club or like a foreign Ruby Tuesdays or something) you can deliver in the bigs…his 8 inning, 1 hit, 9 K performance was impressive enough to make me pick him up in a ten team mix league…keep it up!

Time to take a closer look at: Carl Pavano, it may sound funny but maybe he is more than a spot starter…he has a 3.72 ERA and a 1.12 WHIP in 31 innings, and on the Twins I think he can win 15+ games…seriously, take a look at Pavano.

Some advice from the guy in 6th place-If you are going to make trades try sending several offers and scenarios for the trades…this lets other owners know you are flexible. Also if you are a dick about it all when you don’t like a trade offer, try to be nice instead of yelling at the the other guy, he may not know as much as you do, and who knows, you may need a guy from his team later…better to be nice about it all. Also lots of guy are getting hurt so manage your D.L. spots accordingly and pick up the right replacement guys. Too many times we just decide to leave Joe Mauer on the active roster thinking he will be back soon, and then DTD turns to D.L. and that turns into weeks…better to stay on top of it all and grab a replacement as soon as something goes wrong.

Alright so at last check my #1 (or at least my favorite of my five leagues) team (The Boston Lagers) was sitting in dead last…I vowed to make some adjustments and climb the ladder to the top…well I’m am in a more respectable 6th place now, and a had to wheel and deal quite a bit to get there. (My other 5 leagues 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th)

Boston Lagers (ESPN-Custom) 10 Team, Standard scoring (with XBH extra base hits and OBP on base percentage) as the two extra stats in hitting and (K/9 strikeouts per 9 innings pitched and BAA batting average against) as the two added pitching stats. Roster = C, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, UTIL, UTIL. Current Place-6th

This league has a mostly savvy fantasy players with a handful of baseball fan newcomers…the draft was competitive (see draft review in Fantasy Update #1) and the talent is spread out.

HITTING:

C-Jorge Posada-Please don’t go on the D.L.

1st-Prince Fielder-Offered him and Posada up for Joe Mauer and almost got it done.

2nd-Dustin Pedroia-Probably my best player to this point.

3rd-Chone Figgins-Getting better (7 steals and 355 OBP) but his awful 209 AVG is killing me.

SS-Alexei Ramirez-I replaced him with Uribe, Theriout, and Tejada already…but then went back to him now that he is getting a shot at the leadoff spot.

OF-Andre Either-My newest peice cost me Dan Haren, but delivered right away with 2 homers.

OF-Carlos Lee-I don’t want to talk about it right…I keep throwing him out there,

OF-Vernon Wells-It’s shocking to me that this guy has a 327 AVG and 8 HR’s…but it is helping me get over how bad Grady Sizemore is so thanks.

UTIL-Josh Hamilton-Getting Hamilton cost me a closer (J. Soria) and Raul Ibanez, but it has been worth it so far as he has been getting better each day. I expect big things from him.

UTIL-Franklin Gutierrez-He earns his starting spot with a 320 AVG and a 380 OBP, he actually has been my most consistent OF…I’m real glad I drafted him in just about very league I’m in.

UTIL-Lance Berkman-I drafted him as Fielder insurance and trade bait…but that only works if plays well…I’m waiting…

BENCH- I dropped Adam LaRoche and Paul Konerko way too early (both big mistakes) but at least I have J.D. Drew for his annual 6 good weeks of the year. Grady Sizemore has been relegated here until he performs for me…it might be awhile. My last bench spot goes to SS Rafael Furcal (got him in the Hamilton Deal) right now, but if he goes on the D.L. and R-Ram doesn’t perform I may drop him. (I have like freakin 20 Outfielders…I must trade some)

PITCHING:

I lost Dan Haren but with Liriano being back it was a loss I could afford. Josh Johnson and Jered Weaver have both worked out great and really my only bad SP is Josh Beckett and I still think he will be fine. I round out my guys with Matt Cain who is back on track as well. My relievers are fine for now, but I have been shopping for another closer, I lost Feliz from the rangers when I dropped him for a spot starter and got stuck with Chad Qualls, who actually has been ok. My other two closers Ryan Franklin and Papelbon are fine. On a flyer, after his good start against the Royals I grabbed Jake Peavy dropping Dice-K (who I think will be alright, but it may take another start or two) so will see how he does. Plenty of guys to stream line so take advantage I am…and my 22 wins lead my league.

Good luck to all in Fantasy and Reality!

6 comments:

  1. Alright Mr fantasy, Bret Cecil over Rich Harden? Are you dropping Dice-K? I need help with my pitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright so you got it right with Chacin but I need a second or third baseman as I am outfielder like you, do you Andy LaRoche or A. Callaspo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listen I dropped Rich Harden already a few weeks back, but I kind of regret it, his K/9 is real good and that division isn't great...so long as he's healthy I ride with Harden and just pick your starts with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With a horrible draft still staring me in the face, and a stint in last place longer than most Team Devil Dogs is still hanging tough. Taking a chance on Matt Wieters C for Balt. was a call that will haunt me. Live and learn as they say. Patience is another issue. I'm sticking with my guns for now and we'll see. I sent a trade request to Nick but he wasn't willing to let go of Prince Fielder in the deal. I asked if a counter offer is in the works he nodded yes so we'll see. boston won tonight so he's a little more plyable, we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantasy Focus started out as a daily listen. Their offerings were about 60-40 for accuracy which is pretty good. However their adolsent humor, non-baseball distractions, got to be too much. when your team is in last your looking for good information, their's isn't the place to find it sad to say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe Weiters is a 2nd half guy, but in a 10 team mixed like ours it may be too hard to wait for him. I think your team has workable pieces but you have to put it all together. I love the fantasy baseball focus podcast with Matt Berry and Nate Ravitz but I agree it is full of nonsense, I listen while I work so I enjoy just the time it kills and their constant bickering...plus "the board" wages are cool.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.