May 3, 2010

The Top 7 Things on TV right now...at least that I watch

So as movies get crappier and crappier as the 3D era is upon us…again, let’s try to turn to TV for a minute and see what’s good watching right now. I would be lying if I said that the best on television is HBO’s Miniseries The Pacific (1) because really it is not just the best thing on TV right now, it’s probably the best entertainment out there period right now (at least that you can watch on a screen). Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg do it again covering in an epic way the Marines of the Pacific in their WWII drama. It started slowly, but has really sucked me in and now has me viewing (and anticipating viewing) every week. Of course there is sports for the sports fan that I am…but what if I want something I little deeper than just the Red Sox underachieving in yet another game with a division rival (it may be a bad year for the BOSOX)…well the perfect viewing for that kind of fan is ESPNs 30 for 30 series (2) which continues on with The 16th Man, which is the uplifting story of the South African Rugby team. For your Reality fix, I recommend American Idol (3), though my favorite just left, and it seems to just mirror what little girls want as they have the best texting fingers apparently…it still packs a little punch with decent music, and ok feedback…the show is bleeding so watch it this last year before it dies I say. If you like funny I’ve got 2 shows for you and shockingly they are both on NBC…no no not The Office, how about both 30 Rock (4) and Community (5) they are both well written, and full of that snarky, sarcastic, ironic wit that lord knows I love. Must viewing for me on Sundays is clearly The Simpsons (6) and Family Guy (7) they are topical, cutthroat, and very funny. Think of South Park as the Mich Ultra Light (Which I no longer drink), Family Guy as the Heineken Light (which I love but wish had more flavor), and The Simpsons as the Samuel Adams Light (the perfect blend of flavor and smoothness that never gets old)…yeah that should sum up how I feel pretty well.

As for hope for the future you ask?? Well I gave up on shows like The Human Target and True Blood and I am starting to dwindle (but still watch sometimes) on Modern Family, so I have to hope for a new show to come in and grab me…my guess is that the new Fox show The Good Guys will suck me in for awhile…mostly because it stars one of my boys (Bradley Whitford of The West Wing and Studio 60 fame), but also because it is an old-fashioned buddy cop show that doesn’t appear to take itself seriously. Add a Colin Hanks and you may something there Fox.

Let me know what you guys watch and maybe why I should be watching…As a boring man with a boring life I actually don’t watch that much TV and am picky about what I get sucked into…(yes Dexter people I tried and no I didn’t like it!!) so let me know if it’s good…but only if its good! (and I swear if you say House I’m gonna…)

3 comments:

  1. Love the pacific, best show on right now. I actually don't like American Idol at all, but love dancing with the stars and survivor heros and villains, good classy fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why the Dexter Hate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I was just not a Dexter fan, I couldn't get into it. I more of a Twin Peaks guy when it comes to serial killers.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.