September 6, 2010

Fantasy Football Update #1 2010 (Week 1)

Alright so I have drafted all my teams and though I did basically try to stick with the guys I liked, I did try two different methods and found myself in one rather precarious must-trade situation. This year I have chosen to basically chronicle my “work” league. This league is veteran heavy one and has a fairly shallow bench. We just got them to finally switch to standard scoring, but there is no INT or Fumble deductions and Pasing TD’s are 6 points. This league allows one keeper. Let’s break down my draft.


Dirty Dawgs (CBS) 10 Team League (5th Pick)


Keeper: QB Tom Brady-I had to give a first and third round pick last year to get him and he didn’t quite live up to expectations. I still finished third and I have every reason to think that he will get better this year given his new TE’s, Moss’s contract year, and the fact that this team may be in some shootouts with that young and injured Defense they have.


First Pick: RB Ray Rice-With most of the big dogs kept (Peterson, Gore, Johnson) how I ended up with Rice in the five spot is beyond my understanding…even crazier I had the choice between him and Turner…people love QB’s in this league and at this draft you have to expect the unexpected…every time I draft for this league I just wait to hear name that I believe somebody reached on and then I pounce on the value that was left behind…this year I rolled into a high value guy in Ray Rice…I expect great things.


Second Pick: WR Roddy White-Again with (Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, and Randy Moss) kept, I felt the need to grab White as fast as I could, I have him in several leagues and actually think he will be a worthy #1. Atlanta plays CAR, SEA, and NO during this leagues playoff weeks so that makes me happy.


Third Pick: RB Ryan Grant-I am not a huge Ryan Grant guy, apparently nobody else is either, I have him in another league where he was left for dead…at this range I had to take him as a #2 to Rice I think he will be fine. (Though I did get his handcuff and may look to trade the pair).


Fourth Pick: TE Antonio Gates-If you read my blog you know I value TE’s, plus in this league (as most leagues) once you pick one TE they all go…so I popped the TE cherry this year with Gates. With Vincent Jackson in limbo and the Charger defense looking bad, I think Gates will be as good as ever.


Fifth Pick: WR Michael Crabtree-There is some risk here having him as my #2 WR, he may not be ready for that, but I had a long list of value wideouts I knew I was going to grab later in the draft. He is capable of 1000 yards and 8+ TD’s.


Sixth Pick: RB Knowshon Moreno-He fell to a spot I had to take him at, though I don’t love him and was unable to get his backup in Buckhalter, but at this spot I think the upside is worth the risk. As a #3 he makes me feel better about Grant knowing this guy can slot in there if Grant doesn’t produce. He gets TD’s but did not post a 100+ yard game last year…let’s hope that changes.


Next 5 Picks: (RB) Jerome Harrsion, (RB) Clinton Portis, (WR) Jeremy Maclin, (WR) Jabar Gaffney, and (WR) Johnny Knox. I went right after depth at both the WR and RB…I may have made a mistake not taking a better TE backup considering the injury risk with Gates, but I can always make a move.


The Rest: (QB) Alex Smith, (RB) Brandon Jackson, (WR) T.J. Housmandzadeh, (TE) Tony Scheffler, (K) Dallas, (K) Arizona, Eagles D/ST, and Saints D/ST. I couldn’t help but draft T.J. Housh even after learning about his cut from the Seahawks…he will go somewhere and play, and if he doesn’t I can live with cutting him.


Week 1 Lineup (Subject to change):


QB-Tom Brady (vs CIN)-That Cincy defense should be good and they will run on the Pats, but nobody benches the “Golden Boy” in week 1.


RB-Ray Rice (@NYJ)-Another bad matchup for me, but I can’t bench him, I like him for a TD and we can never get a handle on team defense until 2 or 3 weeks in.


RB-Ryan Grant (@PHI)-I am tempted to go Jerome Harrison here, but for now I will just hope Grant squirms into the endzone against that Philly Run D.


WR-Roddy White (@PIT)-Yet another bad matchup for me against the good Steeler Defense, but I like the guy as a #1 WR and he will start every week for me.


WR-Michael Crabtree (@SEA)-I don’t know what to make of Seattle right now, they may end up being a solid team, but that much change is never good for a defense…Crabtree has a big week 1.


TE-Antonio Gates (@KC)-Can my team be carried by a TE in week 1?...I hope so.


K-Jay Feeley (@STL)-I’m going Feeley over Dallas’s Buehler because of that St. Louis defense which is bad.


D/ST-Saints (vs MIN)-They lost Sharper…now I’m concerned, but Farve may be a bit pass happy in week one…I’ll roll the dice and see if they can recreate that turnover magic from a year ago.


Some advice before the season starts-It’s a long season, I generally always play the matchups during the season, but in week one you want to stretch your muscles and play your top guys. It is afterall one week and if you lose there is time to correct things. Remember defenses that get drafted early in drafts are never as good as you think they will be…(in fact none of the defenses that were drafted in the top 5 finished in the top 10 at seasons end) so don’t go crazy with the analyzing defense, we aren’t sure what we are dealing with just yet. Start your top guys in week 1!


Keep an eye on-Good guys on bad teams…Johnny Knox is a guy finally getting some love in drafts, but there are other guys you can grab that will pad your depth. Try grabbing Mohomed Massaquoi or Kenny Britt, then go get their QB’s in Vince Young and Jake Delhomme so you can pair them up if they get hot for your main QB’s bye week.


Tale of a draft-In one league I was drafting in the 6th spot and their was 10 guys kept including all the good runners, so even though I had kept (QB) Tom Brady, I went ahead and drafted the best guy on the board, (QB) Peyton Manning-now it was a risky thing to do (and it did make people mad) but I started working right away on a trade. I thought I would be able to offer another pick to get Frank Gore (the guy I wanted) but still did okay settling for WR Roddy White and a 6th round pick (turned into {RB} P Thomas) for Manning and a 13th round pick. I didn’t get the guy I wanted, but the decision did give me a nice WR duo in that league in Calvin Johnson and Roddy White…now I have to figure out which one of my mediocre RB’s will turn out (Best, Thomas, Bush, Bush, Williams, Portis, and Forsett).


Bet on this, but don’t get mad at me-(Week 1)-Since the start of this feature (week 3 last year) we have picked pretty well. 66% on the Like em bets, 26% on the 3 if you can stomach em underdog picks, and 31% on the Parlay to try pick.


Like em-Saints (-4) vs Vikings-Everybody wants a little action on the first game, I know the Vikes want revenge but Favre just got there and the Vikes lost their best WR. 49ers (-3) @ Seahawks-Start believing now the 49ers are a good team, this should be a lock. Over 47 ½ Packers @ Eagles-The Packers can score, but so can the Eagles, who have the better defense overall, but Kolb is young and will turn the ball over so I expect a shootout of sorts and if you take the 47 ½ you should be well over half way there at halftime.


3 If you can stomach em-Chiefs (ML +200) vs Chargers-The Chiefs have a new toy in Thomas Jones and Matty Cassel is a gamer, let’s not forget how bad the poorly coached Chargers play in the early stages of season-One name-Norv Tuner…see what I’m saying?…make some cheese on this one. Texans (ML +115) vs Colts-I don’t love this one, but last year this team should’ve beat them twice…ok at least once, one of these years they are going to stick it to the Colts…I say this is that year. Lions (ML +220) @ Bears-Another one of my sleeper teams is going to be an offensive force…and let me remind you how bad the Bears have looked so far and that Cutler (now with Mike Martz) will take even longer to release the ball from his hands…I think “A Boy Named Suh” might catch up to him a few times.


Parlay to try-Dolphins (-3) @ Bills, 49ers (-3) @ Seahawks, and I’ll avoid taking an Over/Under by taking the Browns (+3) @ Bucs…even though it’s ill advised to go with three road teams on a Parlay.


Results will be posted after Week 1


Good Luck in all Fantasy and Reality!

3 comments:

  1. Nice draft ! I think I would start Jerome Harrison in Week 1 though I pretty much agree that you go with your top guys mostly. I have heard conflicting things with Harrison, some people have even suggested drafting James Davis who has looked good in camp, but I still think his speed is special. Oh well good luck in week one and I may try your bets, but I promise I won't get mad if I lose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Harrison a lot because he is going to get touches against what we think is an awful run Defense...It will be a tough call, I have been working hard on a trade for Gore but so far it has been tough to pull off a blockbuster that big. I spent some time on those betting picks so good luck, but yeah please don't get mad at me...I really think 2 of 3 of those underdogs plays is realistic in week 1

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should start Jerome Harrison over like Crabtree or something, I'm going with him, TB sucks and he will get 20 carries!

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.