April 9, 2009

DVD Review #2 Seven Pounds

Seven Pounds (2008) Will Smith, Rosario Dawson Directed by Gabriele Muccino

Seven Pounds is a gut wrenching, and at times painful romance story that is meant to tell you that life is both wonderful, and complicated. I think the screenwriter had a very powerful premise here, and although I made it through the film just fine, I was at times uncomfortable with the storytelling. It takes some time to get off the ground and understand what is happening, which is fine I respect that aspect of the storytelling, but since it takes up time to unfold, it takes away from time that could have been used clarifying why this man who is unhappy would allow himself to fall in love so quickly with a virtual stranger knowing what the future holds for him. I am sure it is a plausible story so I don't want to bash it, but it seems forced at times. It was a moving movie that keeps your eyes intrigued by an interesting and unexpected performance by Will Smith (playing Ben Thomas). In this he is unlikeable through parts of the film, which I liked, but also a little confusing, I am not sure I really believed he is a man that would do something like this. I was very impressed by some of the little scenes that played well such as the Hospital Manager in need of Bone marrow, played sneaky well by Tim Kelleher, and Rosario Dawson was also likeable. This movie was flawed, but worth watching, in the end I found myself relieved I did not go see it in the movie theater, and was very content watching it at home. I think Will Smith is on to something by playing characters a bit off though, he should try it again, a little darkness for the fresh prince might do him some good. Go out and rent this, but don't put it too high on your list.

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) This film good enough for a 6.5 rating.

I also enjoyed some of the special features, mostly the one about box jellyfish, it was my favorite character in the film, and a fascinating creature...after you watch this flick you'll want to come down from the story, so take a few minutes to get out of Muccino's world by watching the box jelly short docu.

1 comment:

  1. i love this movie...to bad you don't see it the same way....hope-less romantic...huummmm...

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.