April 6, 2009

Movie Review #3 Knowing

Knowing (2009) Nicolas Cage, Rose Byrne Directed by Alex Proyas

I was not going to review this movie, but was inspired by one of my blog followers (there are so few why upset them by not following their advice) to see it, so I did. I was happy to see a movie with a captivating plot done well. It is Armageddon but with no funny parts, no cool hip cast, and a much cooler premise...ok so it was nothing like Armageddon...i'm knew at this. Think Bible code...meets Deep Impact (you know the other asteriod flick that literally came out weeks before Armageddon...yeah that's closer). Nicolas Cage as always is cool doing his best Nicolas Cage impression through a whole movie, this time as an astrophysics professor (believable...wait let me wipe the juice I just spit out in laughter at my moniter...ok got it). His son in the film played quietly by Caleb Koestler is also fine, he has a creepy kind of "Nic Cage won't let me steal his scenes from him so i'm just walk through this and get a paycheck" feel to him, the only real acting standout was Rose Byrne whose performance was the only one to draw any emotion out of us. The story, however is very solid, and the tension and mystery are good enough to keep you moving along and dumb down those feelings of hunger, or the urge to go to the restroom just to stretch out. It has a few twists, and a few surprises that I will not make fun of because I know my buddy Matt will get mad. Yes there are several plot holes, and lots of unanswered questions left looming, but really if you are a buff who likes to believe in things like bible codes, or picks on the bible from time to time...this might be worth checking out. Thought provoking enough to get a smooth 5.5 Morgan Freeman memorable lines from Shawshank (as always out of ten), because Red knows his friend Andy Dufrane can crack a code with the best of em'

2 comments:

  1. It is about time you reviewed a movie that deals with a concept that may actually require people to open up that dark robotic thing they call a mind. Who cares if the movie is good it is all about the subject matter. lol!!

    Thanks.
    Conspiracy Guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wolverine, Sunday 3 May.

    Move was full of action. Lots of fighting blowing things up, including tearing down the outside structer of one of the reactors on Three Mile Island.

    What the movie lacked was depth. Now of the origanial female charecters were in this one. Magnito was MIA as well. Xavior made a cameo, last I saw he blew up into a million pieces! Like I thought lots of special effects but no depth of characters, or plot. I give this movie a "C"

    It's worth seeing at the early show price, also bring your own popcorn, and drink!

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.