April 2, 2009

Fantasy Update #3 (baseball)

Ok so I drafted my second team (one of only two because we have confidence we can win...right guy who joins ten leagues so he can brag about winning one...shame on you) and this is how it went.

For team Soxtown I attempted to do something different then my previous team, (Redsox revenge...is there a theme here?...i'm such a homer...and this new team shows it) I went in with the same philosophy of not drafting pitching too early, and the lack of need for a for real ace because of the depth that pitching has this year. I tried to identify the weaknesses from team Redsox revenge, and remedy them them with team Soxtown...as you will see I failed, and failed badly. So my awesome fantasy brain identified pitching from a starting standpoint, speed, and batting average as my weak spots. This is how my draft went.

Pick 4 Team-Soxtown

1-(OF) Sizemore-(i hate the idea of drafting an outfielder first) almost went D Wright again, but wanted to change it up, he is so good, five tools, and it addressed the speed issue right off the bat...ok so it started ok. Projections 107-32-99-37-297.
2-(2B) Pedroia-Was one guy away from getting Utley who keeps dropping to the mid second round. Peeddy is cool with me though, I thought average was addressed and he is basically a five tool player, who since i'm a sox fan would be real easy to root for. Projections-121-14-91-319.
3-(1B/3B) Youkillis-Wanted a good third baseman, but didn't want the whole sox infield, however this was probably the right pick given the 1st/3rd option, and the fact that average was a big concern. I didn't hate where this draft was going...yet. Projections 96-24-107-309.
4-(C) Brian McCann-No matter what any fantasy guy tells you, he is the best catcher out there, I didn't want to "F" around in either league like last year, I want a stud and reached up maybe a pick early to get him. Projections 77-26-101-302.
5-(2nd/SS/OF)Alexei Ramirez-I know I already have him in the other league, but I still thought through pick 5 I was doing ok, I trust him, he is probably my biggest fantasy gamble, some guys went Furcal too soon, and some guys didn't care about the SS position, I think this guy is a stud and hope that I bet right on him. Projections-See fantasy update #2

Ok so I only break down the top five but we all know you make your money after that...here are the rest with some random highlights.

6-(OF) Adam Dunn-I know too soon...started freaking out (kills my average) as happens sometimes when you focus during the draft process on what everyone else is doing. 7-(CL) B Jenks-Why this was the first closer I took I will never know. 8-(CL) J. Valverde-Ok everyone goes closer, starter, I went closer, closer trying to dominate the category...but he is risky. 9-(3rd) A Beltre-Wanted him on one team because it's a contract year for this kid who is still young, and we all remember what he did in his last contract year...it was too early but I did it to brag about it later. 10-(SP) J Lester-Ok, ok maybe not an ace...I think I became a homer here...he will be solid. 11-(SP) C Zambrano-Strikeouts?(why do I love him so)...please Carlos don't kill my whip. 12-(CL) B Fuentes-Another closer, have him in other league, solid...I should if my theory holds dominate saves,whip,and era with these three legit guys.
13-(OF) J Werth/14-(OF)A Ethier/15-(OF)X Nady-Back to back to back-I made a goof here...one of these should've been a better starter for my team. Fantasy gods forgive me...trades will take place.
16-(SP) C Carpenter-Like his upside...surprised he fell in both my drafts.
17-(UTIL) J Thome/18-(C) K Shoppach-Weaker here than my other team.
then in order...Lowell-insurance, plus it completes minus a SS my sox infield/Crisp-Like him as everyday guy/Smoltz-i'm a homer

So this team isn't bad, there are more options here, and as of now I start Dunn, Sizemore, and Crisp in the outfield...but three outfielders in a row was a major goof, I think i'm the one who laughs at everybody else as they draft, but this time, at least for that sequence I felt goofy...reminded me of the kid on the Yankees who gave up the four homers in one game to the sox at Fenway (yes I was at that game) we never saw him again...I hope this team recovers better. I had all the notes, all the stats, knew my weak spots, and still don't feel great about average, don't feel all that dominate in the steal area...though a little better, and the only legit fix on this team was the three closers I took that should let me dominate the category...only problem there is two of my closers are Jenks and Valverde...LOL

Alright two teams now! One mid season team to go...Draft is over let's make some moves and shake it up...matchups matchups for pitiching, and for my sake...let there be some good matchups.

Good Luck all!!

Coming Soon-New Movie Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.