September 4, 2009

Fantasy Football Update #1 (Draft Special)

Two Teams I say!! The Perfect number of fantasy teams in all sports...yes yes even football is two teams! Stop you crazy person with the ten teams and sixty different starting players that you have to root for. Two...Two!! Two teams, maybe two strategies, and not so many players that you find yourself standing and yelling no! no! to a Trent Edwards fumble...but yes! yes! to the subsequent Mario Williams fumble recovery....Three is fine, four you are starting to neglect your family, and five or more...well unless you work for ESPN then someone whose service of something you provide is being severally undercut. Now two that is perfect. Pats (League one) and Dirty Dawgs (League two) These two teams are the ones I will be chronicling on my blog. Both leagues are ten team leagues and both leagues allow one carry over keeper. The scoring is slightly different in the leagues, however nothing major (like no points per catch PPR) so for the sake of simplicity we will say that they are standard scoring. Alright the drafts have passed and it's time to break it down. ARE YOU READY FOR SOME...well you get the idea.

Pats (League 1) (keep in mind some players were kept so if I didn't pick them they were gone)

Keeper-Tom Brady-Who else he is on a loaded offense and if Albert Haynesworth wasn't such a fan of the Baconater at Wendy's his shoulder wouldn't even be discussed.
Round 1-(pk 7)L Tomlinson-I'm ok with this at 7, he should be good and have a very solid season...I don't know about all this bounce back talk he was still very solid last year and I if get that, then I have no issues.
Round 2-Steve Slaton-Going against my idea of three wideouts instead of three RB's in most weeks is an adjustment you have to make on the fly when a guy like this is still on the board, by taking him I know my receivers will be thin, but I couldn't say no to the idea of putting out these two backs together for most weeks.
Round 3-Marques Colston-I needed him, he was the best on the board and in an offense that throws like crazy he is a very solid number#1.
Round 4-Thomas Jones-I like the T-train a lot more than most, however I know his production from last year will drop off a bit.
Round-5-Tony Romo-Don't ask why now, ask why later when I trade him for someone I need.
Round-6-Darren McFadden-It was odd that I went running back crazy in this draft but I atone for it later. (the Witten trade)
Next 3 picks-Bernard Berrian, Chris Cooley, and Julius Jones (love him...my sleeper)

In this league we only carry 5 bench spots so there is plenty of talent out there.
Draft Aftermath-Draft ends and I love my team except the thing I preach most about (Only a few good tight ends) and I get only Cooley...I get nervous search the waiver wire and find C Benson (to replace McFadden)...so I trade B Berrian and Darrren McFadden for Jason Witten...a sigh of relief.
Final Result-Tom Brady, Tony Romo QB L Tomlinson, Thomas Jones, Steve Slaton, Cedric Benson, Julius Jones RB Maques Colston, Devin Hester WR Jasson Witten, Chris Cooley TE Pats DEF and John Carney K
Thoughts right now-Well I am going with the RB's it looks like and with the depth at both QB and TE I feel fine if Colston goes down, I should be able to get a WR back in a trade. I love this team and think I can survive with 3 RB's in my weekly lineup even in today's committee running back league.

Dirty Dawgs (League 2)

Keeper-Calvin Johnson-Stud I don't care who is throwing to him.
Round 1-(pk 1 via trade) Tom Brady-Well I keep it simple having the same guy lead my two teams, I love him as a QB would be shocked if he didn't end up in top two for the year.
Round 2-A Boldin-Is he a number one type WR?...I hope so.
Round 3-no pick traded it away for 7th so I could get to number 1 (I am a 8 pick...in a snake draft)
Round 4-Thomas Jones-Is he a number 1 RB in any league...no, but at this juncture you have to take the best on board...on my board he was the best...I passed on McFadden.
Round 5-Joseph Addai-Wow things are not going well...
Round 6-Tony Gonzalez-So he was somehow still here even through 5 other tight end picks...seriously five TE's were taken before him...wait a sec draft is looking up again...(TG the savior)
Round 7-Marshawn Lynch-Ok Ok I lose him for a bit...but still feel he is a mid number two guy...I can make this work
Round 8-B Berrian-love him on this team with Farve throwing to him ...legitimately will start maybe 6 times if I keep him.
Round 9-Julius Jones-I was panicking about all my backs...I hear his name being thrown out...I wanted my sleeper...and on this team I needed him...so I took maybe a round too early...come through for me Notre Dame alum.
Next 3 picks-Eagles Def, Bret Farve, John Carlson

In this league we carry 12 bench spots...so um less talent out there...I scout like 25 players.
Draft Aftermath-Draft ends and I feel like I may have blown it...I head to the bar for a jack and Coke...I see no trade possibility at present time.
Final Result-Tom Brady, Bret Farve, David Garrard QB Thomas Jones, Julius Jones, Marshawn Lynch, Joseph Addai, Donald Brown, James Davis, Greg Jones RB Calvin Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Bernard Berrian, Nat Washington WR Tony Gonzalez, John Carlson TE Eagles, Chargers DEF Seattle, Houston K
Thoughts right now-Well the more I look at this team, the more I like this team that drove me to drink on draft day (however that could just be that it's over now and I have to talk myself into it). It does have high upside and the idea of putting out Johnson and Boldin is a good one. I expect to trade a few guys, and I hope that Jones and Jones really come through for me. Addai and Donald Brown could be good...I guess I just have to hold my breath...given what I gave up to get Brady I am confident I can make the playoffs...and most of my players have soft playoff schedules. (note in this league 2 divisions and all but last place team make playoffs...I should be Ok).

So that is how it went down...my season for both these teams rides on one man...Tom Brady...and I gotta tell yeah...that's the guy I would want it to ride on :) Good luck to all and updates should be done by Tuesday...Wednesday the latest...always open to advice and criticism.



2 comments:

  1. Dude Brady just broke his ankle...j/k. No both teams are good, but I would search for a running back in the league 2 if someone is offering them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No both teams are strong however you will have to make some tough sits when it comes time to play.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.