September 22, 2009

Fantasy Football Update #3 (week 2)

Phrase to remember of the week..."People can't handle the highs and lows"...from the great film Rounders, yeah ok so it was in reference of Poker, but really fantasy football and poker are not that different, sometimes you have a bunch of chips or fantasy points on your side, and other times you have next to none...but your still in the game. (A chip and a chair as they say)

So I'm not angry...I had a solid week 1 and they can't all be gems...however I know when you centerpiece two teams around one guy, and he has a bad week, well you should expect to lose both games and that is what happened here. Tom Brady (the one we trust in) was pushed around by a Rex Ryan coached defense and left hanging by a wandering about Joey Galloway who all too frequently decided to make a quick stop at Jack in Box or Wendy's while in mid-route...the Pats will be fine and Welker was missed...in Brady we still trust but will it be a high powered offense, and why don't they run the ball? Outside of Brady who really was my "fantasy goat" (from fantasy focus podcast on ESPN...a must listen) it was an encouraging week for my big trade in league 1...lets break it down.

Trade Alert-In this league (Pats) a 3-way trade was made...I shipped both Romo and LT out of town and landed 2 studs...Calvin Johnson WR and Frank Gore RB...The deal was made because Romo was just a piece I wanted to use to trade and nothing more, somebody called out for him and I used the opportunity to upgrade a spot where I was concerned...LT looked bad and my WR's where thin, so now I have a CJ and Gore both big upgrades that I hope give my team a little more balance.

Pats (League 1) 10 team, standard scoring (ESPN) 5 bench, 1 IR, Record 1-1 (tied 4th place)
QB-Tom Brady-6 Points, 216 ps yds, 1 INT...devastating line...a bounce back week is needed badly, and the very talented Falcons are coming to town.
RB-Cedric Benson-16 Points, 29 carries, 141 rush yards, 0 TD's....C-Ben showed up for me but didn't get in the end zone...he is a little banged up for this week...I would rate him as a definite start whenever the match up dictates.
RB-Thomas Jones-5 Points, 14 carries, 54 rush Yards, 0 TD's...T-Jones was not great and only 14 carries worries me especially in a game where they needed to hold the ball....the Patriot D did a nice j0b on him, but he still earned himself a spot on my bench this coming week against the Titans.
RB-Frank Gore-45 Points, 207 rush Yards, 39 rec yds, 2 TD's...my new acquisition made me forget all about LT...who was home washing his tights...if not for my opponent having Chris Johnson I would be jumping up and down celebrating Gore leading me to a victory in a week where Brady didn't show up...but not the case...still he is a welcome arrival to my team.
WR-Calvin Johnson-12 Points, 5 catches, 51 yards, 1 TD...7 targets is encouraging, Johnson is a top five receiver period...his numbers will get better as Stafford gets better.
TE-Jason Witten-9 Points, 5 catches, 33 yards, 1 TD...Witten was targeted 7 times and should have been targeted more, the coverage is tough on him and until the other guys on Dallas...yeah you Roy Williams step up, it may be tough getting big yards.
K-Josh Scobee-4 Points, 1/2 FGs, 2/2 XP's...playing Scobee a flat out mistake, I didn't spend enough time on it...this week I will upgrade.
D/ST-Patriots-9 Points, 16 Points allowed, 1 FR...well not spectacular...after the game I dropped the Pats for the Jets...they just don't have the value that they did when they were up big all the time.
Bench-My Bench was mediocre except for M Colston...I upgraded with a pickup of Ray Rice running me 6 Running backs heavy...but now with Calvin Johnson I have balance...next project, finding a QB.
Marques Colston-21 Points, 8 catches, 98 yards, 8 targets, 2 TD's...love that I drafted this guy.
J Jones-7 Points, 8 carries, 11 rush yards, 1 TD...he got banged up but I still like him.
S Slaton-5 Points, 17 carries, 34 rush yards, 3 catches, 25 rec yards, 0 TD's...still ugly
Chris Cooley-8 Points, 7 catches, 83 yards, 9 targets...he is their best receiver...they just don't get in the endzone, he is one of the most consistent TE's in the league.

Moves-So after the big trade somebody dropped Ray Rice for nothing, and I scooped him up, he faces Cleveland this week and may start for me, I ditched Scobee as Jacksonville sucks and gobbled up Kris Brown because I believe again in the Houston offense.

Dirty Dawgs (League 2) 10 somewhat standard scoring (CBS) 20 Bench, Record 1-1
QB-Tom Brady-0 Points, 216 ps yds...um yeah not good
RB-J Addai-0 Points, 32 rush yards...never a good sign when you go into the Monday night game needing Addai to get you 6...I learn the hard way.
RB-T Jones-0 Points, 54 rush yards...wow 0 for 3 with my first three spots...T Jones was awful.
RB-C Williams-12 Points, 9 rush yards, 56 rec yards, 1 TD...awful week rushing, but the catches were a nice surprise.
WR-C Johnson-6 Points, 51 rec yards, 1 TD...again as Stafford gets better so will Johnson's numbers.
TE-T Gonzalez-12 Points, 71 rec yards, 1 TD...thus far my best fantasy player...not close.
K-O Mare-4 Points, 1 FG, 1 XP, better than Kris Brown last week but cost me a win...again have to do a better job here on these kickers.
DST-Eagles-5 Points, 48 Points allowed, 1 INT, 2 sacks, STY, wow 48 points allowed...that can't be good, still a very good fantasy defense.
Bench-Both Farve (12 Points) and David Garrard (22 Points), played better than Brady on my bench to add insult to injury and K Brown popped in the 10 Points I would have needed to win this week...adjustments will be made.

Moves-Well it's clear I desperately need a running back...and I continue to work on it. No moves yet though.

Some Advice from the guy who is 1-1 and 1-1-Again if you rely too much on one guy you have to eat the bad weeks, but there are small things that I could have done to help me out...starting K Brown who I was just mad at for the week 1 awfulness would have saved me, try not make bad decisions like that...as I learned this past week they flat out cost you victories. I highly recommend watching runners who face Indy they have an awful run defense without Bob Sanders...this week for them is ARI if you own Hightower...start him. Continue to play the matchups, as the weeks go on we will more clearly see what defenses to avoid. Lastly work your whole roster...take the time to find the right kicker...I know I will.

Keep an eye on-L Robinson WR St Louis, Eddelman WR New England, Donald Brown RB Indy, and C Buckhalter...we were right on this guy last week and his diverse skills make him a threat again this week against a crappy Oakland team.

Good Luck to all in your respective Fantasy Football worlds, please comment often and help me bounce back from a tough week.

Bonus Update (Fantasy Baseball) It looks like worst case I will still redeem myself from my 8th place finish last year...I am currently out of first in both leagues by just a hair and I am fighting hard to get to the top...my worst case is a top 3 or 4 finish in both 12 team points leagues...next update will be the close of the season...wish me luck down the home stretch and pick up Pedro and T Hudson quick!!!

3 comments:

  1. Brady will be ok, I lost as well this week. I think you should try Buckhalter Indy isnt going to run this year, Addai might be a bust Nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me beat with your ESPN league this week. I only had 69 points, but somehow still managed a win. If I didn't change my lineup from week 1, I would have had over 90 points. Oh well. That's what I get for overanalyzing it all, lol. That makes me 2-0 though, my best start ever.

    I'm not giving up on Brady yet (in general that is, I don't have him on my team) - but if he doesn't get his act together in Week 3, I might start wondering about him. The season is too short to take more than a couple weeks to get things into gear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed on Addai...could very well be a bust, Mel I think your right I am not overly nervous with Brady and Congrats to your 2-0 start!! Send me your roster and I can break it down for you if you want...by the numbers anyway...gut does most of the choosing.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.