September 15, 2009

Fantasy Football Update #2 (Week 1)

Ok so all that work, all that studying...all the hype and um the Pats barely win in a game that looked fixed by the NFL...although that was a great hit on the kickoff return. Well week 1 didn't go quite as well as I had hoped but it was entertaining. I won in both my leagues, although I wasn't high score in either (2nd highest, and lowest winner). Some surprises, some disappointments, but all in all no major new flaws emerged on my teams that I wasn't already aware of. Let's break it down.

Pats (League 1) 10 team standard scoring (ESPN) 5 bench, 1 IR
QB-Tom Brady-27 Points, 378 ps yds, 1 INT, 2 TD's...Ok so 27 points will get it done, however boy did I sweat this one, he looked shaky, like he didn't want to get hit, and his arm was not in prime form. Had one INT but could have had 3. I think he gets better, the whole team looked like they needed another warm up game. I still trust in Brady.
RB-L Tomlinson-9 Points, 1 fumble, 1 TD, 56 total yards, 1 hurt ankle...yeah sounds like LT...why oh why did I feel confident about this guy and the other guy below :(
RB-S Slaton-2 Points, 1 fumble, 0 TD, 52 total yards, 1 disappointed fantasy owner...I think I jumped up and said wow when this guy was still on the board in the 3rd round at my draft...ok now I know why he was still there.
RB-T Jones-24 Points, 20 carries, 107 rush yards, 2 TD's...Loved him last year, have no concern this year...so Rex Ryan will run and T Jones is the goal line back that's a win win. One of the best values out there, and so many passed him by.
WR-M Colston-9 Points, 3 catches, 30 yards, 1 TD...yeah they spread the ball a lot but I still like him as the number one...from the looks of it Brees will be throwing so many TD's spreading it around shouldn't be a concern.
TE-J Witten-7 Points, 5 catches, 71 yards, 0 TD's...so we can see the coverage he draws now without T.O., but with the emergence of both Austin and Crayton I think this will get better throughout the year...he was outscored by Cooley yes, but he is still my number 1.
K-J Carney-8 Points, 1/2 FGs, 6/6 XP's...he is not great but since they score so much he stays.
D/ST-Patriots-9 Points, 24 Points allowed, 1 FR...hmmm so Seymour to the Raiders huh...why am I having nightmares about the Red Sox trading away Jeff Bagwell...he will be missed and if Mayo is hurt this Def will be mediocre all year...bad news if you are a Patriots fan (yes I am) and if you own this defense.
Bench-My bench was on fire, which is good and bad...Bad-it shows I lacked confidence in starting guys I really liked (like J Jones who I have been screaming about but went with S Slaton instead) and Good-The talent I have should allow me to make a trade if need be to fix a deficiency...um like Defense.
T Romo-34 Points, 353 ps yds, 0 INT, 3 TD's...left game with an ankle, but should be a # 1 all year, so glad I have him to trade him.
J Jones-23 Points, 19 carries, 117 rush yards, 1 TD...Jones had a great start...I have said it since the start, he is sleeper, he will have at least 1000 yards, and at least 8 TD's.
C Benson-16 Points, 21 carries, 76 rush yards, 32 rec yards, 0 TD's...I think he is trade bait, or he could very well replace one of my two main guys (TL or SS)
D Hester-15 Points, 4 catches, 90 yards, 1 TD...I was impressed I picked him over Tory Holt so that looks like the right move so far, and Jay Cutler should get better.

Moves-So on draft day I traded McFadden and Berrian for Witten...I'm still Ok with that move. I dropped Hester for Holt, then picked up Hester again...this again looks to be working out so far as well. I sense a call for Romo will come but I'm in no rush just yet. I don't feel I have any major weaknesses right now.

Dirty Dawgs (League 2) 10 Somewhat standard (CBS) 20 bench
QB-Tom Brady-28 Points, 378 ps yds, 1, INT, 2 TD's
RB-J Addai-6 Points, 42 rush yards, 35 rec yards...well not that impressive but still the goal line back and still the #1...he will start for me for as long as he gets carries.
RB-T Jones-20 Points, 107 rush yards, 2 TD's...love em look above...what a great pick.
RB-J Jones-16 Points, 117 rush yards, 19 rec yards, 1 TD...in this league I started him and loved what I saw...he won't start every week for me but he is in for a nice year.
WR-C Johnson-2 Points, 90 rec yards, 0 TD's...well Stafford showed flashes and he is a stud...I still like him for 15 TD's.
TE-T Gonzalez-12 Points, 73 ps yds, 1 TD...fine performance I liked the Ryan/Gonzo chemistry...a top 4 TE for sure.
K-K Brown-1 Point, I whiffed on this whole team, I don't think it's Brown's fault per se but I won't start him next week.
DST-Chargers-4 Points, 20 Points allowed, 2 INT's, 1 DFR...not awful but expected a DEF TD or Spec Teams TD...I still think they are fine...and from the looks of that offense they will have to get better.
Bench-My bench didn't have too many standouts which is Ok with me for now, I will say that there was no way I was going to go with J Carlson over Tony Gonzalez...however my hate for Jake Delhomme shoulda convinced me to go with Eagles Def...my bench includes, B Farve, D Garrard, D Brown, J Davis, M Lynch, C Williams, B Berrian, A Boldin, J Carlson, T Heap, O Mare, and Eagles D...Boldin wasn't healthy so a good sit there, and with any luck M Lynch will come back strong, but right now that doesn't look good with F Jackson's performance against the Patriots.

Moves-So I have dangled Boldin, Carlson, and the Addai/Brown combo quite a bit, but so far no takers...I did pick up James Davis, and Todd Heap dropping N Washington and Greg Jones...also dropped C Williams, then swiftly picked him back up when he was named as the starter.

Some Advice from the guy who is 1-0 and 1-0- Ok so no need to panic unless you own Mcnabb, I wouldn't sweat Slaton, LT, M Schaub, R Brown just yet...and I would suggest to trade with caution at present time...one week is just not a big enough sample to give up on somebody...even L Johnson who I like this next week against Oakland. It is worth mentioning that M Barber, T Jones, B Jacobs, and even J Jones all had at least 15 carries so we can all relax on their workloads. I think Frank Gore is still mediocre but will score 15 TD's and I like Portis who really hasn't gotten the respect he deserves. Play your match ups and as always don't be gunshy when it comes to benching big names...like I should have Benched S Slaton...I need to read my own blog.

Keep and eye on-The obvious: F Jackson, W McGahee, and D McFadden. The not so obvious: Devery Henderson, Ben Watson, and C Buckhalter.

Good luck to all in your respective Fantasy Football worlds and as always comment often and let me know what I am wrong about...I am always looking for advice myself.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your wins! I'm on ESPN for my league and won with 145 pts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow very impressive Melissa Congrats!!!...I wasn't totally satisfied but with my teams so in one league I made a blockbuster to try to fix some things. Hope I didn't screw up.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.