April 7, 2010

American Idol Update #7

Only on American Idol will you hear someone suggest that the song “The Long and Winding Road” needs to be changed…only on American Idol can you see a didgeridoo and a Bagpipe player…only on American Idol will people tell you over and over again that those covers of other peoples songs you’ve been singing, should be on your album. Is the show getting worse? Yes it is…was this week better than the last couple?…um yeah…but let’s be fair, I think Tim Urban could sing The Beatles and I would listen (he did…and well I did). The Beatles are straight genius…so it was a good week, and actually it was really tough for me to rank these kids. I thought it was much easier to get through this episode and for me, when they are covering The Beatles, The Stones, and other great bands…that is why I’m watching, I love the music…the judges, the overdone makeovers of these kids…I could care less…for me it’s about the music, I love music, and that keeps me watching. I went a little outside the box this week and for the most part disagreed with the judges…nothing new there.

Top 9-Good week for everybody…very solid

Best Performance of Top 9 week:

· (1) Katie Stevens-It may be that I just love the song (Let It Be), but Katie’s best performance thus far…her ponytail look was a bit evil looking, but style aside, she sang it well. (As a Side note, if you haven’t yet, check out my Top 25 Songs of All-Time post which Let It Be makes posted on 3/8/10)

Worst Performances of Top 9 week:

· (1) Tim Urban-I will say this…it was the best he has done thus far…that said I still couldn’t bring myself to bump him off the “Worst” list. (All My Loving), great song, but he is just not a good singer. (as always I beg 14 year old girls everywhere to stop voting for Tim)

· (2) Crystal Bowersox-I will get crushed for putting the generally considered favorite in the “Worst” column…but I thought her performance of (Come Together) was lackluster…just flat.

· (3) Michael Lynche-Another favorite here that I will get yelled at for putting on the “Worst” list…his soulful version of (Eleanor Rigby) was weird…I just flat out didn’t like it, and I thought David Cook a few years back did a much better rock version.

Push for top 9 week (just fine, not great…should stay alive): For me there were a lot of pushes this week, Aaron Kelly (The Long and Winding Road) wasn’t great, but it is a great song so I gave him some leeway…Andrew Garcia had (Can’t Buy Me Love) and it was cool, I liked his version, not his best, but solid…Lee Dewyze he really tried to rock out (Hey Jude) but the bagpipe guy? And the crowd sing-along?...I think he thinks he is already on tour or something…settle down Lee…Casey James sang (Jealous Guy) a fairly obscure John Lennon solo song and did it well…I thought about putting him in the “Best” list but couldn’t quite justify it…Siobhan Magnus didn’t separate herself from the field or stand out, but her version of (Across the Universe) screamed of Fiona Apple…I liked it but thought the Idol judge Kara (and I never give them props) nailed it when she said it was polite…great analysis Kara!

Current Pick to Win: Siobhan Magnus-She has everything it takes…like really style-able hair.

Runner Up: Lee Dewyze-He’s having fun…I think anyone who says “screw it, bring out the bagpipe!” has a chance…that’s balls.

Prediction-Going Home this week- Tim Urban or Aaron Kelly (sleeper Andrew Garcia)

***Lynche gets saved!!! I actually didn't watch it (DVR error) but I'm not that sad about it...I will say this (Prediction alert!) when Bowersox gets the boot and the save isn't there...that will be great drama...Songs to download: Across The Universe by Siobhan and Hey Jude by Lee (it is better recorded than the live bagpipe performance...bagpipe player..awesome dude)see you next week!***

2 comments:

  1. My top three are Siobhan, Lee, and Katie, Beatles was very great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LYNCHE-BIG MISTAKE SAVING THAT GUY, THEY WASTED IT!!!

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.