April 21, 2010

American Idol Update #9

Alicia Keyes is one of the hottest people on the planet…Not only is she gorgeous, but musically gifted, and carries a huge heart along with her…Oh we are talking about Idol right?…it’s inspirational week on the show and though the overall talent left isn’t great, there were a couple standouts. I really respected two song choices…two really tough songs…that I thought were executed about as well as you could ask.

Top 7-Inspirational week was a tad uninspiring.

Best Performance of Top 7 week:

· (1) Lee Dewyze-(The Boxer), Kids got major balls…The Boxer (a beautiful 1972 Simon & Garfunkel hit) is about as hard a song you could choose, it is both brutally difficult to sing and it’s un-relevant (maybe ten people in the audience of 14 year girls knows that song)…but Lee did it well, he could win…but I still think its Siobhan.

· (2) Siobhan Magnus-(When You Believe), Another brutally tough song to sing in front of those judges, she looked great and sang it well, yes the arrangement was a bit off, but when she hits those soft high notes, I mean how many people can do that?

Worst Performances of Top 7 week:

· (1) Tim Urban-(Better Days), the kid picks good songs mostly, but sadly he still can’t sing…somewhere John Rzeznik (lead singer for the Goo Goo Dolls) is weeping.

· (2) Crystal Bowersox-(People Get Ready), Ok so I know she is the show’s darling, and she almost supposedly left a week or two ago (so we should feel bad?)…but c’mon this was not a praise worthy performance…first off she sucked all the soul out of the song…I mean this song was by The Impressions…not the church choir…on top of that she fake cried at the end…I didn’t really dislike her until that moment…that was disingenuous (and awful acting to boot) it turned her from authentic to fraud.

Push for top 7 week (just fine, not great…should stay alive): Not much talent left in this pool: Casey James does a nice job with (Don’t Stop), but it’s not an inspirational song really and he probably should’ve waited another week to perform it. Aaron Kelly busts out the R. Kelly (yeah that’s weird they both like 16 year old girls…at least we think??) and he sang a tough (I believe I Can Fly) song well, he’s going home soon but I give him some props for not butchering it. Michael Lynche busts out the Spiderman with (Hero), lord knows when I think Spiderman…I’m inspired.

Current Pick to Win: Siobhan Magnus-Still a winner…Not the break out performance I predicted last week, but she still has the look, the chops, and the personality.

Runner Up: Lee Dewyze-Guy is going to bust out the bagpipe again trust me…

Prediction-Going Home this week- Aaron Kelly or Tim Urban…I’m not going to beg again (14 year old girls…you are a few weeks older…please be mature don’t let Tim butcher another great song…please) well maybe a little.

***I am a cynic in many things,but not this, let me just say that the amount of money American Idol raises for charity is astounding and amazing, I think it is great and although companies like Exxon have there flaws, the fact that they help people in any way is noble. Idol gives back is a worthy (and yes a bit cheesy) charity. Helping people is always a good thing and that makes it ok that its cheesy...Now all together now Nah Nah Nah Hey Hey Hey Good bye...see yeah later Tim, it was nice knowing you :) Your career as the next Idol Looks Back host I'm sure will be great. Sadly I didn't like any downloads this week...not a one, so we will see you next week!***

2 comments:

  1. Thank God Tim is gone, I totally agree he was just a pretty face!! Couldn't sing a lick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually thought on Letterman last night he was really good, on Letterman outside the Idol Lights a lot of these kids have been great...maybe its Paul Schaefer :)

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.