April 11, 2010

Fantasy Update #2 (Week 1): Panic is my middle name…

Current crazy facts: (1)-Jason Varitek is tied for fifth in the majors in homeruns, he has the same amount as Albert Pujols…by the way, Varitek has played one game…(2) Vernon Wells (yeah the same Vernon Wells who took up fast food and golf once he signed his long term deal with Toronto) leads the majors in homers (he has 4)…(3) Any guess who leads the majors in saves? How about a guy (Jon Rauch) that was part of a “closer by committee” system, that is until about 5 seconds before the season started when Twin Manager Ron Gardenhire named him the closer (he put up 4 quick ones)…The point is nobody would have predicted any of these things a week ago. What is great about baseball is simultaneously infuriating to fantasy players of the same sport. I am dead last in the standings of my league (with the 1 team I am chronicling…the other 3 teams I own are all middle of the pack or better). I am really trying not to panic and make a rash of moves, just to make them. You can’t lose or win your league in week one…that said, the season has arrived, which means that the balance of trusting your talent and making adjustments has begun, it’s that skill, that balance, which will win your league. “Patience is Virtue”

Boston Lagers (ESPN-Custom) 10 Team, Standard scoring (with XBH extra base hits and OBP on base percentage) as the two extra stats in hitting and (K/9 strikeouts per 9 innings pitched and BAA batting average against) as the two added pitching stats. Roster = C, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, UTIL, UTIL. Current Place-10th

This league has mostly savvy fantasy players with a handful of baseball fan newcomers…the draft was competitive (see draft review in Fantasy Update #1) and the talent is spread out.

HITTING:

C-Jorge Posada-Off to a hot a start 357 AVG and a homerun, should be a serviceable catcher for me most of the year.

1st-Prince Fielder-a 278 AVG and no homeruns in 18 at bats…it’s early but I can’t help but think about the guys I passed up to get Prince (Utley, Braun, and Cabrera).

2nd-Dustin Pedroia-2 Homeruns is a great start (I have always believed he is a 20 HR guy), but his 250 AVG has to improve to justify his draft position (3rd to early 4th round pick).

3rd-Chone Figgins-A scary 190 AVG is alarming, but a solid 2 steals calms me down.

SS-Alexei Ramirez-I have always liked this guy (it has thus far has not worked out) and so far more of the same…158 AVG, 158 OBP, and no steals…Tejada is available and I’m taking a good look.

OF-Jacoby Ellsbury-a 3 for 5 day yesterday raised his average to 320 and it is a great example of why you shouldn’t panic…I benched him looking at his batter vs. pitcher (against Greinke) stats…I over thought it…I drafted him in the 2nd round and I need to play him every day to justify that…lesson learned.

OF-Carlos Lee-a 158 AVG, a 200 OBP…man this guy misses Lance Berkman and so do the winless Astros.

OF-Grady Sizemore-Grady is another guy I have rode for a few years (and again not much to show for it), I promised this would be my last year to gamble on a 30/30 season from him, he is ok so far with a 273 AVG and 1 steal…c’mon Grady (4th round pick for me).

UTIL-David Ortiz-I would normally say it’s ok to panic with Big Papi (2 for 14 with a 200 OBP)…but if you got him this year I assume you drafted way late like I did (16th round) so at that price, anything he gives you is gravy…I would say expect less at bats against lefties, especially with Lowell and V-Mart around.

UTIL-Franklin Gutierrez-I really liked this guy last year and as a 19th round pick he is producing for the Mariners and more importantly My Boston Lagers fantasy team…23 at bats…10 hits…1 steal, a 435 AVG…those who stuck with Gutierrez last year and drafted him this year rejoice…I expect great things.

UTIL-Raul Ibanez-I was kinda surprised that so many people were down on him this year, even knowing that he was bad in the 2nd half last year, and even knowing that he hits in a monster lineup…I took a shot in the 12th round on him and thus far he’s been fair…250 AVG, 4 RBI’s, and a 360 OBP…he will produce…the lineup is too good for him not to.

BENCH-Well an early move for me was to grab Vernon Wells (4 HR’s and a 412 AVG) and ride his hot streak for as long as I could…maybe he likes baseball again? Another pickup Adrian Beltre has been ok 333 AVG and 1 steal (I couldn’t resist after seeing him in the Boston uniform…plus I am concerned with Figgins. Paul Konerko has had me smiling with his 2 HR’s and that production made it ok for me to drop Adam LaRoche who always gets off to a slow start. I also have Lance Berkman in waiting on the DL.

PITCHING:

SP-Dan Haren-My ace has started 2 games…1-1 with a 3.95 ERA and 1.02 WHIP…I won’t complain, he had one bad inning against the Pirates in a game where he struck out 9.

SP-Josh Johnson-I have high hopes for this guy…his 6.30 ERA and 2.00 Whip are alarming.

SP-Josh Beckett-I acquired Beckett via trade just in time for him to get rocked by the Yankees (so that worked out), but he did pitch better against the Royals so I am trying to be positive…his 1.80 WHIP has to come down and his 6.17…well that speaks for itself…he throws too many fastballs and I for one would have waited till the end of the year to give him that 65 million dollar contract.

SP-Jered Weaver-A late pickup for me (he was a panic drop from another team) he pitched one game for me 6.0 innings and 7 K’s in a no-decision…he will be very solid all year, just not great.

SP-Rich Harden-Only 3.2 innings in his first game…but 7 strikeouts…I’ll take that.

RP-Jonathon Papelbon-Ugly…not 9th round worthy so far, though he faced the Yankees.

RP-Joakim Soria-Very solid thus far…have no complaints…I like him for 35 saves.

RP-Ryan Franklin-His 6.00 ERA is ugly, but his 2 saves is what I’m looking for.

BENCH-Francisco Liriano hasn’t hurt me yet, but I am expecting great things…I should probably temper those expectations given his 6 inning 5 walk performance. I also have Dice-K looming on the D.L.

PICK-UPS and DROPS-I nabbed Vernon Wells dropping Marco Scutaro, I also grabbed Paul Konerko dropping the notorious slow starter Adam LaRoche, I jumped to grab Jered Weaver after he was dropped even though I was sad to let go off Eric Bedard (who won’t be back till June-ish), but I will grab Bedard again if he remains out there once one of my D.L. guys gets healthy.

Guys Too Watch-I really liked what I saw from Chris Young (SP) of the Padres, but his next opponent is the Rockies so I might wait a start to grab him, also guys like Gil Meche, Anibal Sanchez, and Scott Feldman all are attractive options if you need starters (remember it’s always a good idea to have one flexible roster spot in your pitching to rotate match-up guys in and out of). On the hitting side of things guys Like Juan Rivera (OF) for the Angels might be available and his 300 AVG won’t hurt you, I have always liked Chris Young (OF) for the DBacks (though he has never lived up to hype) but his hot start (400 AVG, 2 HR’s) might be the kind of thing to jump start his career, as for the lighter positions like Shortstop try Tejada for Baltimore as a fill in guy, he never kills you.

Deep Sleepers-Normally I would never tell you to grab a middle reliever in a 10 team mixed league, but if you have the space try Alfredo Aceves out for a week or two…he is the kind of guy that will be out there a lot and he may steal 10 or 11 wins during the year, I believe he has value, if you have room for him (Like if your shopping for another closer grab him till you find one). On the hitting side I’ll give you three names to tinker with…Mark Ellis (2B) for Oakland (400 AVG), Daric Barton (1B) for Oakland (438 AVG), and Jeff Keppinger (2B, 3B) for Houston who is batting 545…6 for 11.

Some advice from the guy in 10th place-Well this team is off to a bad start but if yours is like mine you really need to hold back from rash decisions and not panic…if your desperate to make moves try offering some trades to other struggling teams in hopes of a good deal or at best an even shake up…but trust who you drafted…15 to 25 at bats is a small sample size. Also never too early to spot start guys against the likes of the Royals, the Mariners, and the Pirates…well might want to wait a bit on those Pirates.

Good luck to all in Fantasy and Reality…Gonna be a great season!

3 comments:

  1. I have Dan Haren in two leagues and I'm worried, He usually starts hot and then cools off, I am considering trading him but don't want to jump the gun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everybody likes Alfredo Aceves, I don't see it man, I like Okijima or Joba better. If you had to trade Utley and King Felix for A-Rod, Victor Martinez, John Lackey and Jonathon Broxton (and you needed saves) would you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am about to trade Dan Haren for some shortstop and outfield depth, what do you think of Josh Hamilton, is he done? one year wonder?

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.