April 27, 2010

DVD Review #36 The Lovely Bones


-->
The Lovely Bones (2009) Stanley Tucci, Dakota Fanning Directed By Peter Jackson

The Lovely Bones is based on a 2002 novel of the same name, written by Alice Sebold, this novel has become beloved since its release. I did not read the novel but after watching this film I had to at least skim through the cliff notes of the book so I could better understand why this film didn’t quite work. As I expected the book has many more plot points and has a much darker tone. Peter Jackson who is better known for his special effects talents (See the great Lord of the Rings trilogy, don’t bother with King Kong) loved the book so much, he personally bought the rights to it. I do think the film was shot well, and I do think the film was well cast, however the three writers of the film (Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, and Jackson himself) couldn’t find the right way to bring the book to life, they left out too much at times, and I think (again I haven’t read the book, but some major stuff was clearly overlooked) paid too much attention to the message of the film, not letting it just come to you…they kind of stick it down your throat.

The Lovely Bones is the story of Susie Salmon (played well by Saoirse Ronan), a young girl who is raped and murdered by neighbor. After she is killed she drifts off to heaven where she watches the lives she once connected to carry on, all the while trying too will them to her killer. Marky “Mark” Wahlberg shows up as Susie’s father doing a decent job with a weak role, and Rachel Weisz does all she can with another underwritten role as Susie’s mother. The standout in the film (and he was rewarded with an Oscar Nomination for this role) is the always great Stanley Tucci who plays the very creepy George Harvey, the serial killer who kills Susie (don’t worry this is not a spoiler as you watch him do it). The problem with the film is it never puts all the pieces of an interesting story together. We are captivated by the killer, but bored by the family, we are intrigued by the search for the killer hoping his identity will be revealed, while not really understanding how Susie is helping from heaven…it’s all a little jumbled and confusing. Susan Sarandon also shows up as Susie’s grandmother, but even her importance to the plot is fuzzy at best. By the end of the film when you expect one thing, you again are left somewhat confused as to what you just watched. I’m sure Peter Jackson really loved this book, and my guess is he didn’t want to make 3.5 hours long, but really the script didn’t work for me. I will tell you that at times it’s fine to watch and I had no problem getting through it, but it is a borderline recommendation at best from me. Though I haven’t read it, my suggestion to you would be…well read the book…(heck I might actually do it).

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) The Lovely Bones has some nice performances, it will keep you watching, but ultimately fails at telling a compelling a story due to the jumbled and confusing script. It gets a lackluster 5.5 on the Shawshank scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.