May 20, 2009

DVD Reviews #6 & #7

Frost/Nixon (2008) Frank Langella, Michael Sheen Directed by Ron Howard

In my first defense of DVD #1 Review, Best Picture Winner Slumdog Millionaire, I will be explaining to you why Frost/Nixon was not better than Slumdog.

Frost/Nixon is a very good movie, all the great directing skills and meaningful characters that are absent from Ron Howard's Angels & Demons (recently reviewed) are present in Frost/Nixon. Not to say Angels & Demons is a bad movie, but once you set the bar high, with great films like A Beautiful Mind, and Apollo 13 (both Howard) don't backtrack by making movies that literally anyone could have made. Howard seems to follow a pattern of great film, then mediocre film...don't believe me check this out: Mediocre-2000 Grinch Stole Xmas, Great-2001 A Beautiful Mind, Mediocre-2003 The Missing, Great-2005 Cinderella Man, Mediocre-2006 Da Vinci Code, Great-2008 Frost/Nixon, Mediocre-2009 Angels & Demons...weird huh, he should just produce, not direct like every other movie, then he would make strictly Oscar bait movies. Anyway not to rag on Opie, but I am sometimes frazzled when I see his name at the end of a great film like Gung Ho, or even Backdraft (which I like), then I will catch his name again at the end of EDTV, or Far and Away...both garbage. Alright back to the film, if you are history buff (and I like to think I am) you should love Frost/Nixon, which is a slow moving drama that captures both the impact and emotion of a very interesting historical event. We all know the story of Nixon...like a Greek Tragedy he fell from on high, to become the only man in U.S. history to resign the Presidency. This film is specifically about the first interview he did with a man called David Frost (brilliantly played by Michael Sheen). It wouldn't seem at first glance like a powerful enough historical story, maybe one thinks there isn't enough there to fill a 2 hour plus movie, but trust me...there is. Frank Langella recreates Nixon like Simon Pegg recreates Scotty from Star Trek (and that is meant to be very very well)...he is a totally uncomfortable man, trapped in his own hubris. He is very vulnerable and frustrated by it. He was well deserving of an Oscar nomination for this. The rest of the cast fills in nicely Oliver Platt, Sam Rockwell, and Kevin Bacon all do a nice job in this film, but really the last 20 minutes where the two actors go at it and where Frost really forces Nixon into a corner is priceless. It is not however, better than Slumdog, not by a long shot. Slumdog has layers, and elements that I have never seen before, it unravels at a pace that is captivating and exotic, but Frost/Nixon is a great film, and by all means I recommend it. Warning-if you are not interested in history, Nixon, or 70's TV...do not get this movie...unless you plan to make out through the whole thing...in which case...carry on.

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) Frost/Nixon Worthy of a 7.0

In my second defense of 2008 Oscar Winner Slumdog, I present 2008 Best Picture Nominee The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett Directed by David Fincher

David Fincher is a one of my favorite directors, with Fight Club, Seven, and Zodiac (didn't like Panic Room) his track record is ok with me. Button is a very good movie. It is built for anyone who has ever loved or anyone who ever wants to fall in love. It is the most truthful and compelling love story I have seen in quite some time. Button is the story (as you may have heard) of a man who is born old, and grows young. Brad Pitt (who is hard not to like) does a very admirable job with his role (reminiscent of Meet Joe Black...I think I might be the only person who really loves that movie) of Benjamin, who because of his odd circumstances grows up in a way that allows him to experience life backwards...or at least different then the rest of us. This enables him to see the world in a very interesting way. The problem is the love of his life, played well by Cate Blanchett (she had to be a ballerina grrr) is a normal child. Their only chance at a workable love will be to meet in the middle of their growth cycles...which of course they do..and well you figure out the rest. Fincher again directs a visually compelling movie, that is filled with great role players along the way (most memorable: Queenie, Benjamins "sort of mom" played by Taraji Henson beautifully). Fincher's movie is too long at almost 3 hours, even though it is good, at times it feels like too big a commitment to make for our busy lives (good thing I don't sleep). If you can commit that kind of time to a love story that is wonderful to watch, and interesting enough to keep you involved (though you may need breaks) you will enjoy this film.
It is not however better than Slumdog, Button is too long, and tries at times too hard. It is narrated by Pitt himself, and is paced by an older woman dying in a hospital, forcing her daughter to read the story to her as she dies (though I love that hurricane Katrina is happening in the background). Slumdog is better paced and much easier to watch. Button a worthy Best Picture nominee, but not the winner.

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) Button a very good 7.5

Nothing new coming up for Ron Howard, his Angels & Demons opened up to a lackluster 48 million this past weekend, but the world totals will make it a blockbuster, Dan Brown is writing another Robert Langdon book, and you can be sure Howard's next Langdon film will be shortly behind. As for Fincher he is doing a Heavy Metal update 2010, and a couple of other films are in the works called Black Hole, and The killer...I will give anything he does a chance. Pitt has Tarentino's Inglorious Bastards out later this year, and will be playing Billy Beane in the film version of the baseball book Moneyball, he is also rumored to be starring in a 2012 version of The Odyssey...how bout that.

9 comments:

  1. Slumdog was very good, it probably was the best picture, but make sure you see MILK and The Reader, I thought both of those were good as well. I rank them like this Slumdog, Button, The Reader, Milk, and Frost-Nixon...in that order. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Button but it was too long, Nick you are right on with Slumdog being the Best, The Reader was just ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant stand Brad Pitt usually so I was going to give this movie a miss but from your review I might give Benjamin Button a try...and will get back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched MILK and will review that one as well, My advice Katie for this movie (Button) is take breaks cause it's really long, but it is worth it, and visually a very picture to look at. I also recommend Zodiac and Fight Club by the same director :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tsames you were right and i loved it. the beginning went on a bit though but the end was worth watching the beginning for! i thought the whole "what if" sequence was great and the love story was beautifully done. I rarely cry at anything but it gave me a bit of a lump in my throat!! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww I'm really glad you liked it...too long but a very good love story those two had chemistry and Brad Pitt was in a daze (that daze look from Meet Joe Black) the whole time...but you know it worked again. I cried a little as well so don't feel bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats alright then ;) So what's your next suggestion? i have twenty days of not very much to do in san francisco to fill! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok The Soloist was very good with Jamie Foxx and Downey Jr...for a lighter romantic flick try Def Maybe or Ghost Town...and even an older flick called Return To Me...for something Heavy Milk was very good and anything in my top ten is good Like Shawshank, or Good Will Hunting if you haven't caught those yet. Um let me give you two wild cards...The Matador (Pierce Brosnon) and Lucky Number Slevin (Josh Hartnet, Bruce Willis) for just good fun :) I promise I will get to The Duchess soon :) Oh yeah for a good cry go with The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah i keep meaning to watch The Boy in Striped Pyjamas. Josh Harnet is definitely in my top ten so I'll go for that too :) Have you seen My Sisters Keeper??

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.