May 22, 2009

Movie Review #9 Terminator Salvation

Terminator Salvation (2009) Christian Bale, Sam Worthington Directed by McG

Maybe I'm starting to agree with James Cameron that the story has been "already told" with the first two films, or perhaps with the onslaught of robot movies, (I'm partial to aliens) I am tired of watching robots prance about trying to kill the human race...by the way if you are a robot must you throw the guy around for fifteen minutes, you know proving your robot strength. You know the guy you need to kill to end the threat so the robots can win the war...why don't you just pick him up and crush his face. Oh well, as you can tell I am not going to be giving this McG movie a great review. Terminator Salvation fast forwards us to 2018 where the "The Resistance" believes they found the key to stopping the robots. Much like Matrix 3 there is a lot going on, John Conner (played again by somebody different, Bale) has to find his way into the robot headquarters which I think is just silly. Conner is portrayed as a leader of the group, who is believed by many to be the prophet of his time. There is leadership in the group ahead of him (play so so cheesy by some weird guy and Michael Ironside) and of course they collide and disagree. Along the way we meet another Terminator guy (Worthington) who is not as likable as Arnuld, but is ok. I get the message of the movie, and I know they liked the idea of showing the humans and robots at war, but this movie really feels unnecessary. It doesn't really have closure, it doesn't provide us with a lot to reminisce about from the old movies (although a nice G&R cameo is very cool), and John Conner is not that likable...I kinda just wanted the robots to kill him. (does that make me a bad person?) Along the way Bryce Dallas Howard is wasted (very pretty eyes), Moon Bloodgood (plays Blair in the film) she is the the most watchable character, and Anton Yelchin (Chekov from the new Star Trek) is ok. Overall this movie tells a story that I don't really need to see, it shows us nothing we didn't already know or couldn't guess, robots can kick our ass in the future...got it. I suppose for a summer movie it has a reasonable amount of action, but I felt it moved slow, with garbage dialogue, and a rare bright spot. Not a total waste, I would see it in the theater if you are going to go, but I doubt it will be a great experience for you...try a doubleheader...this time I didn't and I regret it. This movie looked like it would pull in a solid 50-60 mill plus over the long weekend, so expect more...and the ending of the film suggests that (also a silly silly ending). I might not commit to any more of these though...for me judgement day was today...and my judgement...enough already!!! I'd rather watch Arnold hold meetings about fuel efficiency in California, or gay marriage laws, then watch more of these. I will give it a lackluster 4.5 memorable Morgan Freeman lines from Shawshank (out of ten, as always) because I think Andy Dufrane would rather hang out in the library with Brooks then go to the theater and watch this thoughtless movie.

Food For Thought: I had a nice Nathans Hot Dog which was very good, and a Diet Coke, but was depressed because I didn't have popcorn to keep my mind occupied while trying to pass the time until the robots went away. Try the Cannolis at Whole Foods bakery (if you don't live on the east coast where you can get real Cannolis) they are solid and helped me get over this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.