May 16, 2009

Movie Review #8 Angels & Demons

Angels & Demons (2009) Tom Hanks Ewan McGregor Directed by Ron Howard

I am a big fan of religious argument. I enjoy a little controversy and conversation over one of the biggest topics of all time. This movie does give me the ammo needed to start discussions, and I like that. I have watched several promotional interviews (Daily Show, Letterman, etc...) and the topic is discussed pretty openly, I think that shows progess. Like Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons questions some of our most popular beliefs with a mix of history, and myth. I have read both books, and now have seen both films. I know my blog wasn't around for Da Vinci Code, but if it was I would have given that film the same rating as I will give this one.

Angels & Demons, the second film in the Robert Langdon series authored by Dan Brown, is meant to be a sequel to the Da Vinci Code (book readers will note that Angels & Demons comes before the Da Vinci Code), and it holds up its end of the deal as a sequel. Tom Hanks is back with shorter hair playing once again Prof. Robert Langdon, who must follow clues and ancient symbols, in a short matter of time, before an awful truth and vicious attack strikes the Vatican, and all mankind. Brown, has a knack for writing his stories with a timeline, that keeps things moving in a fast pace manner...i.e...turn the page, c'mon turn it!!! Howard failed with the Da Vinci Code movie the first time to establish this pace, and he fails again here...but that doesn't mean the movie is bad. In fact I was entertained thoroughly by this movie, as I was the last, but I will not argue with you, or anyone else to this point...THE BOOKS ARE BETTER, but since I believe we have all read the books, let's just move on and happily enjoy our characters coming to life on the big screen. (also just to point out that when Langdon was first rumored to be coming to the big screen, I really wanted Michael Keaton to play him...and I still do...but Hanks is fine) Ewan McGregor and Stellan Skarsgard (from the great Hunt for Red October, and Good Will Hunting) accompany Hanks on this journey that involves, the Pope dying, and a plot to destroy the Vatican...but since maybe, just maybe, some of you didn't read it, I will treat this as all other reviews and not give plot details away. My criticism is basically that the books have an inherent cheesiness to them and the films fail to fix the problem, you see Brown writes a mean fake history tale, but a crappy dialogue/romance/character tale, he fails at making us want to turn the page because of the relationships Langdon finds himself in, or the characters he faces along the way, we only want to turn the page to see the next clue...and for a book that is plenty good enough, as for a 2 hour plus movie...I would contend...we need a touch more. Howard uses the books marker of a death (of a preist) an hour to keep the pace up (but we sort of just want to say hurry the F up Langdon, instead of oh my god, we have no time), and the scenery and cinematography are awesome (they got to shoot at the Vatican...crazy), but still it just comes up a little short in character development, in plot smoothness, and overall likability. I still liked it just fine, but instead of watching it again when it comes out on DVD, I'll skim the book again...it's just flat out better. I give it a reasonable 6.0 memorable Morgan Freeman lines from Shawshank (out of ten always) because Andy Dufrane and Robert Langdon would make a great team.

Notes for thought: After it was over I went back in and watched the last 20 minutes of Star Trek again...just confirming that it indeed has been the best summer movie so far...and I venture to say it will be the best at the end of summer...(but I could be wrong).

3 comments:

  1. I think I liked this more than you did, and yeah maybe Keaton would be better in this role, but I guess I better go check out the book now huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was a little better than the Da Vinci Code, but agree that the books are much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books are so much better, its a fact. A lot of the movies cut things out and it kinda sucks sometimes, your not getting the whole story. The whole story is better. There is one movie that does an awsome job of being word for word from the book and that's, chronicles of narnia. I admit i saw the old 1988 narnia movie. umm which i think is still pretty good i like the new one also but there's always a special place for the first one haha. but when i read the book it was almost perfect word for word (ive seen the movies like, a lot, and they are very similiar.) but book is still better. more people should read they dont know what they are missing. Seriously its fun go read a book then see the movie, or the other way around for a diffent perspective. Everyone should get lost in a book every now and then.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.