May 10, 2009

Fantasy Update #6

Ok so now I find myself very solid in League One and trying to position myself for the second half (2nd Place currently). As for the other one, League Two, Team: Soxtown...well we are in disarray. (6th place !) I have several issues with this team, so many that I am confused as what I can do to help it. Maybe you have suggestions.

League One (Redsox Revenge) Starting lineup: Soto Catcher (he is picking it up after struggling mightily in the first 20 games...Posada hurt is killing me, but is worth taking up my DL spot). Dunn 1st Base (I've been offered several trades for this guy and might take one soon, I have D. Lee and there are a few guys on the waiver wire that would fit nicely here...Todd Helton maybe?). Utley 2nd Base (yeah a stud period...just stay healthy my man). Alexei Ramirez Shortstop (he is still shaky but at least he has picked up a little 6 steals...but please get over the Mendoza line 198 avg). David Wright 3rd base (Utley is playing more like my 1st round pick, but I won't complain too much about 304/21r/3hrs/18rbi/5stls). Ibanez OF (can you say MVP for the Phills again), Matt Holiday OF (226avg/4hr's/20rbi/0steals...guess which number pisses me off the most?), Jayson Werth OF (traded Ethier away as Werth got hot...so I would have roid-manny-ram later...I hope I don't regret that). Lowell UTIL (Of course, of course, we (when I say "we" that's the Red Sox) never wanted Teixeira really, let's compare numbers 198avg/7Hrs/17rbi to Lowell(who we would have lost if Tex was picked up by the sox) 312avg/6Hr's/28rbi...now lets compare salary...well you get the idea here). On my bench (which is shorthanded currently with Posada out and Manny gone for 50 games) is Derek Lee (coming alive) and Freddy Sanchez (I just like this former sox draft pick, he's exciting) . This lineup has given me the best offense in the league but if I can get value for Dunn I will get rid of him...and soon. My pitching has been pretty good with my patchwork rotation of Bedard (43 strikeouts in 42 innings), Oswalt (your killing me man 4.50 era/1.34 whip/1 goddamn win), Way-rod (go back to my pre-draft fantasy blog...insert I told you so dance here...3wins/37K's/1.80 era/1.04whip), Timmy Wakefield (this guy just won't quit...still my favorite current Sox player), and Joe Saunders (i'll stick with him and his 5 wins a little longer this time). My Relief Core is just getting it together Nathan (5 saves), Fuentes (9 saves, but bad whip and era), Hawkins (solid addition), and Aardsma (this guy has great stuff, but can't hold him on the roster unless Morrow gets hurt again). I was pressed to make some roster moves so I had to ditch Smoltz, who I was saving, hopefully nobody will grab him before I make room again.

League Two McCann C Catcher (I have no backup, so thanks for coming back...now stay healthy!). Dunn 1st Base (On this team he is my best player so he says put). Pedroia 2nd Base (he might be hurt for a bit, but I like his numbers and with Asdrubal I have insurance). Alexei Ramirez Shortstop (again I got Asdrubal, but still hope I'm not wrong about this kid, love his game). Youkilis 3rd Base (he is hurt but isn't going on the DL so I won't flip out, besides Melvin Mora has done solid in Youk's absence). Grady Sizemore OF (again I like you, but your team sucks, and that scares me, also isn't it time for you to mature and start hitting at lease 260ish...currently 227avg), Jayson Werth OF (stepped it up for me, he should be a 20hr/20stls guy again), Ethier OF (you lost Manny, stay focussed kid, you need to be a leader now). Asdrubal Cabrera Util (he is awesome, the one bright spot for the Indians 319/1hr/16rbi/5stls). On my bench, and its a long one, I added Helton (playing great again 343avg/3hr/18rbi), Freddie Sanchez (just like him), Melvin Mora (too good to be sitting on the waiver wire), and Crisp (I don't know if I believe he will have a good year...or I just want him to have one). My pitching sucks! Did I make that clear, ok my sucky staff is lead by Way-rod (I told you so dance guy...remember), Gil Meche (yeah that Gil Meche...the one with the 1.41 whip), um and yeah that's it for starters right now...I am so frustrated I dropped them all (Wakefield was dropped by me...why, I have no idea). My Relief Core has to carry me until I make a trade or find some guys on the waiver wire, while my boys Dice-K, and Zambrano heal from there injuries. Jenks (pitching lights again), Franklin (please stay the closer), Rodney (shaky but i'll take it), and Fuentes (even shakier, but he stays the closer), then for now I have Ramon Ramirez (because I can't stand the idea of making another bad spot start right now). This roster is moving and shaking quite a bit, and I have a funny feeling next update it could look very different. Any ideas???

Some advice from the guy in 2nd and 6th
So once you have identified weaknesses, you have to get aggressive and start moving pieces. People will now start trading, look at all your roster spots and find solutions. If you have a big lead in one category, let the idea of trading a big dog at least gel in your mind...if you don't fix your problems soon enough, then it will be too late. Always try to offer counter offers, even if they won't go through it lets people know you are willing to play ball.

Stock up: Todd Helton, Okajima, Ian Snell, Michael Bourn, and still Freddie Sanchez...though I don't know why he misses a game a week. C.C. Sabathia seems to be settling in and maybe...just maybe...Brad Penny will actually be alright (hit 94 on the gun in his last start...but his best case is a spot guy anyway).

Stock Down: David Ortiz (it's hard not to include him here, he has to bat lower in the lineup), Teixeira (for the place you drafted him he sucks...I don't care what he does in the second half), Phil (f-ing) Hughes (why again did I get tricked into liking this guy and his stuff...he sucks...he is not cut out for the Yankees, let him go to the Royals where he can relax and just pitch, Phil you single handily raised my era .89...how does that make you feel...that's what I get for trusting a Yankee), J.D. Drew (just cause I can't let myself like him...I don't care what his OBP is), and Roy Oswalt (we are deep enough in that we now know he is not a front line starter, he has passed that torch to Way-rod...thanks for telling me that before the draft).

News and Rants: Mets come alive with a 7 game win streak that has put them in first place, what will Peter Pascarelli complain about? Sox still behind the Blue Jays, and I might start believing in this team soon, Yanks still showing they are just about what we thought they were...a mediocre team, and the Manny steroid story rocked the baseball world...the Bill Simmons column on Manny and the World Series titiles of 04 and 07 just made me sad. Peter Gammons said he wished Shakespeare was around to write about the "Hubris"of these ballplayers...i'm glad he's not, because I would have to read it, and it would just make me mad at the baseball world. I'm a baseball fan but when the few guys I said no about (in the "did he use" question) come up dirty, and then they reference their doctor...well I can't help but watch a little hockey instead of the ballgame...at least for a few innings.

2 comments:

  1. Try not spot starting risky guys, think more Manny Parra on the right day, and less Phil Hughes...also i'm thinking of picking up Milton Bradley what do you think???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milton Bradley just got suspended, but last year though I finished terribly Milton was a bright spot for my team...expect him to get better as the season goes on, sadly Derek Lee doesn't appear to be getting better. I am going to keep spot starting but Bret Cecil, and the pick up of Jon Lester might not be enough...I still have time, but might have to concede era and whip if it keeps going this bad.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.