July 10, 2009

DVD Review #14 Revolutionary Road

Revolutionary Road (2008) Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet Directed by Sam Mendes

This film filled with its hopeless-endlessness is very captivating, yet so hard to watch. This tale of a marriage gone wrong, will leave you haunted by the things that we fail at, and the things we ignore within each of our own relationships. I was exceptionally affected by this movie, it was almost like watching a Fincher film like "Fight Club", where after you watch it you really want to get in a fight...except after you watch Revolutionary Road the action you want to take...is to not get married. If this movie doesn't make you take a closer look at yourself within the context of your relationship with your significant other (or even at the actions you took within past significant others), than I don't know what will...you may be in fact doomed like the Wheelers.

Revolutionary Road is the story of The Wheelers, A young, ambitious, idealistic couple set in the 1950's (but make no mistake the problems they face here are not unique to the times...they are universal and very valid today). Frank played very well by DiCaprio is a unhappy add exec, who feels he is destined for a more exciting life, but is shackled by his responsibilities, i.e. family, house, etc... April (as usual played brilliantly by Winslet) on the other hand is a failed actress/housewife, who from the very beginning of the film is noticeably being torn apart by the idea that this is her life. The two face many issues throughout the film that are common within marriage, but the way they fight and communicate is so creepy, and real feeling that the last thing you will think about during these two actors scenes together is the stupid Titanic sinking. The other role players throughout the film are almost invisible while on screen with Kate and Leo, but the one standout is Michael Shannon (John Givings) who steals every scene he is in. This movie is so devastating throughout, that it is hard to recommend and I can tell you I will probably never view this film again. However when a movie twists your insides it is usually good (think Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, great film, which has a few really painful scenes...remember when they had to listen to what they said about each other to other people via recording...kinda like that...but maybe worse) . The fighting scenes are so realistic and awkward you almost want to jump in and tell them to shut the F up (especially you Leo you jerk...lol), but you stay, hold on, and watch it unravel. I recommend this film but not to the faint of heart, and maybe not to the hopeless romantic, perhaps just the jaded people out there...No I think you should see it and I would love to hear your thoughts on this profoundly disturbing movie. Now excuse me I think I have to go watch Anchorman or maybe Spaceballs to cleanse this film off my brain. Enjoy it...and I await your comments...By the way thanks Katie for the recommendation...it was very good, though again painful :)

Up next for Leo is the odd-looking thriller Shutter Island, Inception which is a CIA blackmail thriller, and a little farther down the road he has the Teddy Roosevelt Biopic. Nothing to report on Kate who may be taking some time off, however her husband (Mendes) currently has Away We Go out at the theaters now...and I think it looks cool.

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) Who knew Kate and Leo's marriage would go down harder than the Titanic...this film gets a very good 7.0 rating...and I hope I don't see it on cable.

9 comments:

  1. Haha I agree with most of your review. I think the film is quite tragic really because through all the fighting i think that there is still much love between Kate and Leo but each of them is too wrapped up in their own failings to be supportive to the other. Maybe you could go as far as to compare it to a Greek Tragedy assuming that the main characters had a flaw responsible for their downfall and using the realtor (i cant remember her name but it was Molly Brown or something in Titanic I think) and her husband, Leo's colleagues and the other couple as the chorus. I think there is a bit of social criticism throughout the film too (demonstrated to some extent through Michael Shannon - the crazy person that understood the other characters really well). I do agree that Kate and Leo are amazing together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you are way too smart for this blog Katie...Yeah I'm not sure what the fatal flaw is...perhaps fear like John Givings (M Shannon) says to Leo, because they don't go to Paris. It is a tragic love story...they love each other...but I almost believe April (Kate)...or at least think she believes herself when she tells Frank (Leo) that she doesn't love him anymore...it feels real. Maybe some hints of Oedipus and Agamemnon are there...and surely hints of that ever popular Greek arrogance (sweet Hubris!) live on Frank Wheeler's side, the only thing I would say is that when us Greek's fail, we do it with confidence LOL, the Wheelers...could have been too confident in the Paris trip. Oh well again your too smart for this blog I think I would need 5,000 words to figure it out. Thanks for the recommendation, I may have not watched it without you. Did you watch Button yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, i just got button and im saving it for sunday when i do my ironing - its the only time i will be able to stay in front of the telly for that long lol. so i'll let you know after that. im going to see Bruno tomorrow, i don't know if you've seen that (im not sure its my cup of tea - but its my cousin's choice so im keeping an open mind) i think your probably right about kate and i think Agamemnon was a pinhead to put it shortly haha. hektor is my favourite greek guy - after you of course ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He was a Pinhead, I always picture him like eating a greasy chicken leg in the tub right before he gets waxed...I don't blame you I would like Hektor way more than me, my boy is Oedipus...so Greek, so tragic, so dramatic. I love to watch movies when I iron...I think you are the first person I know who also does that...Keep in mind Button is way long, so plan for a few breaks...I was happy I didn't see it in the theater because I hate to leave a movie to relieve myself and I would've left like 10 times :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I hated it, too sad. I am not sure why either Kate or Leo would choose this movie??? Waayyy too heavy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay so you got me back by encouraging me to watch The Boy in Striped Pyjamas. It was an amazing film but so sad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very sad film, not as uncomfortable as R Road, but probably a more sad finish given the circumstances. I didn't review it but it would have received a good rating from me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still think 'Closer' - while perhaps not as "realistic" as Revolutionary Road - was more gut-wrenching in terms of exposing the futility of that many relationships succumb to. Deceitful partner-swapping vs. death-by-suburbia...tough call....tough call...

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah it is tough...and I do remember how real parts of Closer felt, much like R Road...I think they are both brutal, and sadly people who have been in relationships can relate to both...so neither is a happy affair. And so it is...just like you thought it would be...life goes easy on me...most of the time...at least Closer was the bettter soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.