July 27, 2009

DVD Review #16 Bottle Shock

Bottle Shock (2008) Alan Rickman, Bull Pullman Directed by Randall Miller

I watched this movie a few days ago and wasn't going to review it, however it was so good that I guess I will review it in hopes that somebody will read this and think...yeah possibly better than Beyond on the Law with Charlie Sheen (I recommended to a friend this film...and he choose to go with Charlie Sheen with a mullet and a motorcycle instead...hmm good choice). Bottle Shock is the true story of a 1976 blind taste test putting the California wines of Napa against French Wine. When California wine wasn't taken seriously this put it on the map and of course opened the door for places like Oregon or even New Zealand to get in the game and produce some great wine. Now I would consider myself a "sort of" wine guy, I have been a waiter and I have had the opportunity to try some great wine, so there is a bit of bias in this review...however I don't love the movie because it's about wine, the characters are fantastic, the acting is wonderful, and the story is actually hilarious. Alan Rickman plays the great wine expert Steve Spurrier who so brilliantly states "you think I'm an A@*hole because...well I'm British...and um your not". Several nice acting jobs in addition to my man Rickman...Chris Pine (of new Kirk Star Trek fame) is really likable again here as the hippy son of Bill Pullman, Bo Barrett, Freddy Rodriguez does a nice job with Gustavo, and the absolutely adorable Rachael Taylor is wonderful as Sam. Dennis Farina, Eliza Dusku, and (my boy) Bradley Whitford all have nice little roles here as well. Randall Miller who is best known directing TV shows does a really nice job with a very funny and interesting story. Bottle Shock is not a movie that is going to jump out at you at the local REDBOX, or Blockbuster so make an effort and go find it. It was truly a nice surprise.

Rickman is playing the Caterpillar in the upcoming Alice in Wonderland film in addition to his work in Harry Potter as Snape, Pine has Unstoppable the next Tony Scott/Denzel picture, Rachael Taylor (keep an eye on this girl) has an interesting film called Splinterheads out on the Independent circuit now that I may track down, and also a hot sounding film called Melt for next year, Pullman has the very cool looking Jennifer Lynch (daughter of David) film Surveillance out there...and Randall doesn't have anything in the works right now...however much of the cast from this film is in another film he did right before this called Nobel Son...and I am on the hunt to see it.

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) Wine...please for the love of god drink wine while you watch Bottle Shock (I recommend Trader Joe's: either the Morris Cab or The Stonehedge Reserve Cab...both good value wines) this is the kind of film to just curl up, relax, and enjoy...it gets a very strong plum, fruit forward, soft finish, velvety smooth...um 7.0. See it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.