July 16, 2009

Fantasy Update #9

It is indeed the halfway point of the baseball season and time for another update. I find myself in a very competitive 2nd and 3rd place in my two leagues. I have made great strides in my weak league (Soxtown) and have slipped just a hair in the league I have been in first for most of the year (RedSoxRevenge)...I should say other teams have stepped up. I have made some significant trades (as promised) that so far have worked out. Alright here's the break down. These are 12 team mixed Leagues.

League One (RedSoxRevenge)
New Lineup looks like this:
C Jorge Posada-29 Runs-11 HR's-40 RBI's-285 AVG (need a strong healthy 2nd Half)
1st Derek Lee-40 Runs-17 HR's-57 RBI's-280 AVG (how good has he been)
2nd Chase Utley-62 Runs-20 HR's-61 RBI's-313 AVG (9 steals) (now on both my teams)
3rd David Wright-56 Runs-5 HR's-44 RBI's-324 AVG (20 steals) (still would love more power)
SS Hanley Ramirez-53 Runs-14 HR's-61 RBI's-349 AVG (13 steals) (nice to have him aboard)
OF Manny Ramirez-30 Runs-9 HR's-29 RBI's-355 AVG (he better play great he owes LA)
OF Raul Ibanez-53 Runs-22 HR's-60 RBI's-309 AVG (can he keep it up??)
OF Matt Holiday-42 Runs-8 HR's-43 RBI's-276 AVG (10 steals) (Looking for better numbers)
UTIL Jayson Werth-60 Runs-20 HR's-56 RBI's-263 AVG (12 steals) (too hard to bench)
Bench: Alexei Ramirez, Paul Konerko, and Mike Lowell.
My bench is good enough with Alexei to try if I need to anyway to parlay a Werth, Holiday or even an Ibanez for a legit starter. Moves: The Hanley trade was Tejada, Adam Dunn, and J.P. Howell for Hanley, Buehrle, and Kerry Wood...I felt strongly about it...and it makes my infield the best in the league not close. Picked up Lowell and Konerko. DL: Soto injured makes me nervous but hopefully Posada can get me through, he is playing fine and there aren't that many good catchers out there. I should be fine here.
Pitching: My staff looks better but I am willing to consider picking up a big dog starter if I need to...these categories are crucial for me to win. I'm led by Mark Buehrle, Edwin Jackson, Roy Oswalt, and Eric Bedard. I picked up Contreras and still have Smoltz...as I hope those two hold it together. Relief: Lead by Joe Nathan, and Brian Fuentes (who really got it together in June/July) but also have Kerry Wood...I am hoping that is enough.

League Two (Soxtown)
New Lineup looks like this:

C Brian McCann-27 Runs-8 HR's-37 RBI's-298 AVG (need him to see the ball)
1st Todd Helton-47 Runs-10 HR's-57 RBI's-319 AVG (hope he plays for the batting title)
2nd Chase Utley-62 Runs-20 HR's-61 RBI's-313 AVG (9 steals) (welcome aboard)
3rd Kevin Youkilis-56 Runs-16 HR's-53 RBI's-298 AVG (C'mon Youk I need you)
SS Alexei Ramirez-44 Runs-11 HR's-42 RBI's-281 AVG (12 steals) (Alexei is back)
OF Grady Sizemore-40 Runs-13 HR's-47 RBI's-235 AVG (9 steals) (my #1 pick)
OF Andre Ethier-49 Runs-18 HR's-56 RBI's-250 AVG (he could see some bench time)
OF Kendry Morales -39 Runs-15 HR's-49 RBI's-284 AVG (what a pickup)
UTIL Dustin Pedroia-65 Runs-4 HR's-40 RBI's-303 AVG (14 steals) (needs a good average)
Bench: Michael Cuddyer and Cody Ross leave me little flexibility, so it looks like my starters are going to have to take me to the top unless I can make another major deal. Cody Ross may not be with this team much longer. Moves: The Utley trade was Adam Dunn, Jayson Werth, and Ryan Franklin for Chase Utley, Cliff Lee, and Michael Cuddyer...I didn't have much of a choice here, Utley was my target and with saves wrapped up good for now I though Franklin was expendable, I was pissed to let Werth go, but still got the best player in the deal. Picking up Kendry Morales later helped with the blow and the fact I moved up to 3rd makes me think I did well...also today Cliff Lee went 9 Innings giving up one run. Pitching: My staff looks like it may get me back into some stat categories I thought were long gone. I'm lead by Jon Lester, Cliff Lee, Carlos Zambrano, and Tim Wakefield. I have Randy Wells, Jose Contreras, and Smoltz...they all make me nervous but I think I’ll be ok. Relief: It is sad to not have Franklin a guy that was so good this year, but Fuentes, Jenks, and Rodney are enough with the lead I have in saves right now...I may still deal one of them.

Some Advice from the guy in 2nd and 3rd: At this point you can only trade for need, don't go get guys that will hit 20 2nd half homers if you already lead that category...it sounds funny but I almost just did it. Sometimes we don't want to look at what it is that is causing us to not move up the list. If you are going to concede a stat now is the time to figure that out and trade away all guys that you no longer need, to get those guys who you will now need. Also pay attention to schedules and don't be afraid to bench guys...pay attention to your game totals.

2nd Half Stars-Look for Ortiz to be more normal as well as Sox stars Youk and Pedrioa. Pujols is the man, but if you don't have him, you won't get him so enough said there. Try maybe a Lance Berkman, Carlos Lee, or Miggy Tejada...the Astros are a second half team and may make a run. I believe David Wright and Chase Utley will earn their money...and I would have to concede that even A-rod is guy I would love to take on my team for his stats. If you can't get him, try for the great Kung Fu Panda Pablo Sandavol...he is for real.

2nd Half Fizzle-Well maybe Kevin Millwood won't keep it up, I would also be careful of Carlos Zambrano. I doubt Jeter keeps playing this well, and Mark Reynolds, Joe Mauer, and Ben Zobrist are all suspect from this point on.

Good luck to all in 2nd Half...I hope to win at least one of these leagues and if I can stay in the top five in both I would consider it a victory !

6 comments:

  1. I think your pitching on the first league team is a little scarce, I would consider moving a bat for a pitcher as well, in addition to that I would question your speed on both teams. How is are your steals holding up, or are you ignoring that stat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah my pitching in both leagues bothers me a bit...if this years philosophy doesn't work out I may have to stop drafting pitching so low in the coming years...Speed is average in both leagues, but I would like it higher...I did grab Nyger Morgan, and I'm trying to acquire B Roberts in a league as well. The trade im looking at in soxrevenge league centers on Grienke/Franklin/Roberts and I give up something like Ibanez/A-Ram/Bedard...still trying work it out though...Hey thanks for the help :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are too deep for me, great job just the same. I just wanna poke my head in there and comment on the A.L. East.

    The A.L. West rivals have taken a toll on the Red Sox. 20 games in the month of July did as forecasted took them outta first, this is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah it is hard to watch, but I think we both always new this would be a dog fight like it always is...The Yanks lineup really looks good right now, and if they can get decent pitching then I am concerned however I can take comfort in the fact that I am 8-0 against them this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick love the pick for the Super Bowl. It was obvious to me it was only you and casting votes!

    The Yankees are on a tear! 12 of last 13, best record in baseball. Swisher being a switch hitter in this park was a great pick-up. I wasn't sure about this one at first but it's clear as a bell to me now.

    I won't rave any longer, gotta go have a plane to catch back east oh by the way, the Yankees as on the road the whole time! At least there's stadium tour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah we don't even lead the wild card...I'm crushed right now...our team is good enough...I think Texas is a good team as well though...I need Wake and Dice back or it might be time to look at the Pats Schedule.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.