July 18, 2009

Movie Review #14 Public Enemies

Public Enemies (2009) Johnny Depp. Christian Bale Directed by Michael Mann

There are some Michael Mann movies I absolutely love (The Insider, Heat, Manhunter), then there are those I kinda like (Collateral, The Last of the Mohicans, and ALI), and then there is Miami Vice...just not good. This is not as bad as Miami Vice but some of the same things I didn't like about Vice, I don't like about Public Enemies. First of all on the good side, the soundtrack is so F-ing cool I had to download a few Otis Taylor songs (only Michael Mann could make the Banjo cool again...well maybe Steve Martin could as well). Secondly the film looks and feels great, costumes, sets, the feel of the 1930's is without question here...and as usual it is Michael Mann cool. Thirdly and lastly on the good side, this film is stuffed with good acting, Depp is great as usual, Bale serves his role well, Billy Crudup as a young ambitious J. Edgar Hoover is a scene stealer, and the role players like Jason Clarke, Stephen Dorff (yeah crazy if you can forget he is Stephen Dorff he isn't bad), and a brief visit by Duke from the upcoming G.I. Joe: Channing Tatum who plays Pretty Boy Floyd also does well. The female lead is miscast, Marion Cotillard is a beautiful actress who was great in Love Me If You Dare and A Good Year, but she doesn't quite work right here. Her character Billie really has to pull you in for you to buy this movie as it is told to us...and sadly I was not pulled in. Actually it isn't Cotillard's fault that her character doesn't work well in Public Enemies...it is Mann's. Public Enemies weighs in at over two hours, yet in all that time I don't feel like I really know John Dillinger at the end of the film, or Agent Purvis, or J. Edgar Hoover, or really what just happened...besides what I already knew about the story that is. The film is cool (like Miami Vice maybe a bit too cool), but the story it tells is incomplete. I really wish more time was spent explaining some of the relationships, or perhaps why Dillinger would fall for this woman so fast, or maybe even how he pulled off his escapes or bank robberies...we really don't learn any of of that throughout the film, even the hints about the birth of the F.B.I. leave you begging for more information...that we never get...instead we get cool close ups of Johnny Depp, or cool close ups of Tommy Guns being loaded, or cool closeups of all those 1930's sunglasses styles. Mann's signature style oozes from everywhere...a little bit too much, (I fear it's kinda like when John Woo got old...remember Face/Off...it got old right around there) I hope that is not where Mann is headed. The bar is set high for me with The Insider being in my top 5 of all time, so I don't want to be too hard, but really Mann who has a writing credit here as well should have probably taken another look at the story and perhaps held back some of his MichaelMannishness in the editing room. All that said it is a cool film to watch (think The Good Shepard meets The Untouchables), who rates a worthy 6.5 rating and a modest recommendation (can wait for DVD, but it's cooler on the big screen).

Food for thought: Wouldn't you know in this day and age at the movies I can just walk right up to the snack stand and order a Venti Iced Vanilla Latte and they will actually give me one. I left this film wishing I had a cool pair of 1930's sunglasses and lived back in the time where everybody wore a 3-piece suit. Up next for Mann is a film called Empire and he also has many in development films. Depp is a busy guy with Alice In Wonderland, Sin City 3, The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, and The Rum Diary (A Hunter S. Thompson novel...Tiffany where are you??) . Bale has The Fighter about Mickey Ward...played by Mark Wahlberg, Prisoners done by Bryan Singer (he did The Usual Suspects), and of course the next Batman flick. Bonus: Strong rumor is Pirates 4 is on the way...for those of you who like those movies...I sort of do settle down.

7 comments:

  1. Was there a sin city 2? what the hell i must have completely missed any advertising of it at all!! also i love pirates and i especially love johnny depp as a pirate so i will be looking forward to that one lol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol you not crazy Katie Sin City 2 has not come out yet...however I think they are going to release 2 and 3 close together in 2011...not a whole lot of Pirates 4 news but my gut tells me it gets done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this movie but yeah now that I think about it the story did have some holes. I still think that if Michael Mann wants to make a movie be cool rather than accurate, maybe he should be able to right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah Ok, It was at times cool to watch, and the music and feel at times was also good, but I don't know with my type of History dorkiness thing going on I was sort of mad I learned more from the wikipedia Melvin Purvis page than the movie. Fair enough though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nick i've been waiting to see this since you blogged it and it has just come out in england lol so got it tonight and will get back to you later! hope you are well xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. hiya Nick im so glad that you said that about the girl i completely agree, she didnt match johnny depp and i didnt think she was as pretty as she would have had to have been to make him fall for her in such a way. i also didnt think she managed to get across the passion she must have had for him to stick around that long. loved the clothes, loved the music will probably watch it again to see if i pick up any more of the story line i missed in the first place (and also because depp is by far my favorite actor). i got a bit lost in the middle im afraid but like you said would love to know more about the story!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey , Katie...The music and whole setting was very well done...but the love story and the information needed to be better. Depp was good as always but too many close ups of his face and not enough substance overall :)

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.