July 6, 2009

DVD Reviews 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Ok I had a few days off and I am a sad little man who has nothing better to do than catch up on my movie viewing and my blog reviews. Don't feel bad I deserve every minute of it. I am going to review in a more brief format here. The films will be reviewed in the order of their rank (kids love the ranks), and one of the films is in the Best Picture Nominee from 2008 category...and I will again defend Slumdog against it.

Milk
(2008) Sean Penn, James Franco Directed by Gus van Sant

Milk is the story of Gay Activist and San Francisco City Supervisor Harvey Milk, it is a sad and complicated story that is told very well by Gus Van Sant (he directed Good Will Hunting). Sean Penn earns his best actor trophy (with apologies to Mickey Rourke and Frank Langella) making us forget that he is Sean Penn, and becoming Harvey Milk. It runs about 128 minutes and it is a fascinating story. But Milk, isn't great because of the story, and it isn't great because of the direction and pace...this film is great because it is filled with tremendous acting from top to bottom. Josh Brolin, James Franco, Emile Hirsch, Alison Pill, and Sean Penn...all act their asses off so we can believe that they are these very real people, who did these very important things. I give Kudos to Van Sant for being able to again handle a film the was so true to life and filled with so much painful material, yet he still manages to make it so entertaining. I thought Milk ranks just slightly below Slumdog...although not that far behind. I highly recommend you see this film.

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) This film gets an 8.0 a really moving tale of courage and tenacity that was entertaining, and well acted. For those keeping score in order the 2008 Oscar best picture nominees rank for me like this: Slumdog 8.0, Milk 8.0, Button 7.5, Frost/Nixon 7.0, The Reader not reviewed.

Flash Of Genius (2008) Greg Kinnear, Lauren Graham Directed by Marc Abraham

Marc Abraham is best known as a producer in Hollywood, so why a guy who produced countless great films like The Family Man, The Emperor's Club, A Midnight Clear, and Playing God (
to name a few these are all great though) would tackle this story as his first Directing gig is a good question...that is right up until you watch it. It is a straight forward right and wrong story...my favorite kind. There is no fuzzy line here to battle for us viewing this ordinary man who battles one of the great motor companies (a la Ralph Nader...but Kinnear way more likable of course...sorry Ralph)...it is clear this man was hosed by the big boys, and he is willing to lose everything to claim what is his. Kinnear plays Bob Kearns the inventor or the Intermittent Windshield Wiper, who has to battle in court defending himself (yeah I know seems like somebody wrote it but nope this is a true story) against Ford Motor Company so he can get his due. He is a man obsessed and he does lose much of his family, and happiness in this pursuit of justice, but we like him...and so we watch and root for the man. I will give Kinnear most of the credit here, there are good role players everywhere in this film, Alan Alda and the beautiful Lauren Graham do a great job in both their roles, but to like this film you have to like Kinnear playing Kearns. Half the movie you want to yell at him and say just take the God Damn money and go home, but you don't, you sit and watch him fight it out. This movie is for the stubborn, and for the people who think they are always right...namely I guess this movie is tailored to jerks like me, who think they have a great sense of right wrong...(of course I'm wrong all the time...I just need to be convinced I'm wrong...anyone want that job?) Flash of Genius is a good film, that is both entertaining and poignant...go out and pick it up (though you might have a hard time finding it...I had to rent it on Itunes).

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) It gets a notable 7.5 for among many things being a good first film by Abraham.

Role Models (2008) Paul Rudd, Sean William Scott Directed by David Wain

Rudd has hit his stride...with early work like Clueless and The Object of my Affection, he set the tone as a cool Rat Pack like actor who is dorky..yet so ridiculously confident...you can't help but like him. He is what would happen if Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis had a kid who was raised by Sammy and Frank...does that make sense? Whatever, what I am saying about Rudd is he is not only moving up the ranks as one of my favorite actors, but in fact 70% of the time...he works 100% of the time (
shame on you if you don't know that is from Anchorman). Role Models is a hilarious film (also co-wrote by Rudd) that offers not only laughs...but a shit load of laughs. It isn't going for much else, but why would it, the premise is awesome and the cast hits a homerun. Every bit as good as I Love You Man (movie review #4). Two guys Scott and Rudd are sent to do community service where they have to befriend two young kids, and act as Big Brothers. Both Bobb'e J. Thompson (awesome as potty-mouthed little Ronnie) and Chris Mintz-Plasse (McLovin from Superbad) nail their parts. The chemistry between the guys and the kids is awesome. Watch for both Jane Lynch (as the lady in charge who is here to service these young boys) and Ken Jeong (small penis guy from the Hangover)...as they both steal scenes. This really is a laugh fest and I feel bad it took me so long to see it. If you are ready for a funny flick go out and get this film.

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) Role Models gets a deserving 7.0, but I'm so close to giving it something higher...I just don't want to offend I Love You Man.

Definitely, Maybe (2008) Ryan Reynolds, Abigail Breslin Directed by Adam Brooks

This film was a nice surprise to me as I am not a big Ryan Reynolds fan, though after this I can say he is growing on me. Definitely, Maybe is a cute film that tells the story of a father trying to help his daughter (
played so well by Breslin) cope with the pending divorce of her parents. Reynolds (the dad) decides he is going to tell the story of how he got to the point of now, via bedtime tale to his daughter. I thought it very cool that the story takes place in the nineties so I can relate...um cause I'm getting old I guess. He works for the Clinton campaign which is fitting given his character. Reynolds really plays likable but flawed very well here. For the first time, it's not the wisecracks that we like about him, but its the vulnerability and realness that we like. Rachel Weisz (always good) is my favorite of the three women (Elizabeth Banks and Isla Fisher play the other two and do fine) who are tangled up in the story of his life. A nice cameo by one of my fav's, Kevin Kline really upgraded the movie for me as well. Warning this is a bit of tearjerker with a nice happy ending...that although was a bit too happy for me I understood how you had to write it that way. I recommend this film to anyone who thinks love is easy and not complicatd...take that back...to anyone who thinks relationships are uncomplicated...love is probably not tackled in that way in this film...and it's better for it.

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) Definitely, Maybe gets a worthy 7.0, and I will stop saying Ryan Reynolds wears eyeliner now :)

The International (2009) Clive Owen, Naomi Watts Directed By Tom Tykwer

I fell asleep twice trying to watch this film, when I finally made it all the way through, I had wished I would have just watched Syriana again. I liked the message this movie was trying to send (
big banks bad...with all that power), but it was done lazy, and lacked the necessary plot points to make us care. A few decent scenes with Owen as a cool Interpol Officer, Watts is completely wasted here, and nobody else...even the bad guys, do much to keep you from going to the fridge and grabbing...um another cheese hot dog (I hate myself). I don't want to call it a total waste of time...so I won't call it anything. I highly recommend that if you want smarts in a film about corruption get either The Insider, or The Pelican Brief. Clive you can do better.

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) The International will receive a paltry 4.5 rating.




6 comments:

  1. I agree with you on Definitely Maybe; I loved it. Haven't seen the others. I watched Revolutionary Road last night and I thought that was great and was a really true depiction of the "real life" side of some relationships and has a completely different perspective to Definitely Maybe and He's Just Not That Into You. Would be interested what you think...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie ! Yeah I have been putting off Rev Road because it looks so depressing, but I will get to it...and because you requested it I will really try to get it in this week. Give Flash of Genius a try it was really good :) Hey why not share some of your top films of all time...I would love to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Role Models, but I agree that it is close with I Love You Man, The International Blew, I saw it in theaters, and Definitely Maybe was really good. I have not heard of Flash of Genius and haven't seen Milk yet, but I'll get on it Nick. I like the ratings on your top ten, but only a 9.0 on Joe vs. The Volcano, way too harsh man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. The Notebook
    In no particular order (i couldn't put them in one)
    Elizabeth I
    Snatch
    The Pianist
    The Wind that Shakes the Barley (well worth seeing if you havent already)
    The Poet
    The Duchess
    There's one with Jennifer Garner in it but i don't know what its called - it was about her fiance dying just before the wedding and then she finds out he had a child with someone else...i've only seen it once but loved it.
    Fools Gold (mainly because it makes me laugh watching my daughter laugh when she watches it!)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's rank em up and feel free to argue...I don't know if you follow my rank system but it's simply a 1-10 rank system that I use my 2nd Favorite movie of all time (The Shawshank Redemption) as a model. So that film is a ten, so that's what I go by.

    1. The Notebook 8.0
    2. Snatch 7.5
    3. Elizabeth 7.5
    4. The Wind That Shakes The Barley 7.5
    5. The Pianist 7.5
    6. Catch And Release (J Garner Film) 7.0
    7. Fool's Gold 5.0

    Haven't seen the Duchess or The Poet. There you go I ranked em up, feel free to disagree, I basically recommend anything 6 and over...but elite movies are 7 or 7.5 and above.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The International did suck. I can't believe you made it all the way through. I guess Milk was really good but I disagree with the 8 rating, not as good as Slumdog Millionaire.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.