March 17, 2010

American Idol Update #4

My winner is still Siobhan Magnus…I can already tell some of you are starting to agree with me right?…just remember (Some Might Say called it first!). I actually thought all around a very good week for the contestants, accept a few. I still think they didn’t give Katelyn Epperly and Alex Lambert a fair shake…but this top 12 was fine. I am an old soul mostly (check out my “Top 25 Songs of all time”, from my 1 year anniversary post), so The Rolling Stones songbook was right up my alley…I was glad to hear most of my favorites…but missing: “Get off My Cloud”, “Brown Sugar”. And “Shine a Light” all missed opportunities.

Top 12-The girls are still the dominant sex on this show, and I thought even Ellen was better this week (she’s growing on me a bit…not like a fine wine…more like mole you can live with)…some guys were good, but I am leaning toward an all girls final so far.

Best Performances of top 12 week:

· (1) Siobhan Magnus-I was hoping to hear Gimmie Shelter from her, but I will settle on a very cool and super creepy version of “Paint It Black”…this girl has chops…oh yeah and did I mention she was from Cape Cod…Go Red Sox!!

· (2) Didi Benami-Two good weeks in a row now for Ms. Didi (she was my early favorite way back when there were 64 people)…I thought she oozed with intensity (which was hot) while singing the little known “Play with Fire” Nice Work!

· (3) Lee Dewyze-Though the judges didn’t like him all that much, I actually thought he was great and this was the first week where I thought he was a potential frontrunner…his version of “Beast of Burden” was top notch.

Worst Performances of top 12 week:

· (1) Lacey Brown-I actually was surprised she made the Top 12, but she did do a great job with “Kiss Me” a few weeks back so that may have kept her alive. This week she sang an odd version of “Ruby Tuesday “…I didn’t get it.

· (2) Tim Urban-Boy he shows up the worst list a lot doesn’t he? Maybe this will be the last time…one can only hope.

Push for top 12 week (just fine, not great…should stay alive): This list is long…Andrew Garcia…one of my top 25 songs of all time (Gimmie Shelter), I didn’t think he nailed it but it should be good enough to stay alive. Casey James and Aaron Kelly…Neither of these guys bothered me with their twangy Stone’s riffs…they’ll live most likely. Katie Stevens and Paige Miles…Paige was much better than last week (and she had a sore throat…nice work girl!) and Katie (who usually bothers me) was fine this week saving her riff on “Wild Horses” with a nice “moment” (as the judges like to say) high note finish. Lastly the mighty have fallen…both frontrunners Michael Lynche and Crystal Bowersox fell back to earth a bit with just so-so renditions of two classics “Miss You” and “Can’t Always Get What You Want”.

Current Pick to Win: Siobhan Magnus-Winner-Winner!

Runner Up: Didi Benami-She is making nice strides in the right direction.

Prediction-Going Home this week- Tim Urban or Lacey Brown

As always I will post update after tomorrow night’s shows to see yet again how wrong I was.

***Update: So Mr. Tim Urban survives again!!! Oh well those boyish good looks won't keep him alive forever...It's never easy to say goodbye when it is your turn to leave. I will admit that I was a tad-bit sad when Lacey Brown left tonight, but really given her abilities I thought she had a great run on the show and should be proud. Her "Kiss Me" song a few weeks back was a great performance...well we had it right this week bumping up our stats to 4/13 in elimination picks...that is a bit more respectable rating of 30%...I will continue to work on it. No huge surprise in the bottom 3...I think Aaron Kelly or Casey James could've been there over Paige but its fine. See you next week...(2) to download..."Paint It Black" by Siobhan Magnus and "Beast of Burden" by Lee Dewyze...both very good.***

2 comments:

  1. I actually liked Lacy a bunch, but I get it she can't win so I'm ok with her run. I agree on Tim and I also think Aaron blows and needs to go soon as well.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.