March 1, 2010

DVD Review #31 (The catch up-edition)

A Serious Man (2009) Michael Stuhlbarg, Richard Kind Directed By The Coen Brothers

The Coen Brothers who have been on a roll of late (see both No Country For Old Men and Burn After Reading) take on the odd and uncomfortable story of a 1967 Jewish family that is having a variety of mini-crisis’s. The film which is the 7th of the 10 best picture nominees I have seen and reviewed, is the first one to come up short for me. As a viewer I will admit I couldn’t take my eyes off the film as I pondered what exactly this film was about, or why this film is great…I am not sure if this film just went over my head, or that so much of the story was foreign to me (I am not really up to speed on my Torah) that I didn’t connect quite right to the characters. Though I won’t say the film is bad, I am fine saying that for me I left feeling a bit empty. I am surprised that this film was nominated, and I probably would’ve put Crazy Heart in over this film. I wouldn’t rush to see this film, and I would love comments from those that have.

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) A Serious Man has a few moments, just few enough to give it a 5.5. An odd film that will not only creep you out a bit, but also confuse your mind as you search for meaning within it that frankly may not be there.

The Answer Man (2009) Jeff Daniels, Lauren Graham Directed By John Hindman

First time writer/director John Hindman recruits Jeff Daniels to play Arlen Faber, A man who wrote a book that is filled with life’s answers (as he was told by God, seemingly), yet his own life is a day-to-day struggle. This film is endearing and well cast. Lauren Graham (of Gilmore Girls fame) is the love interest, and several sneaky good role players fit well into the story and tone of the film (both Kat Dennings and Olivia Thirlby do a nice job here). There were a few novice moments in the film, that probably a new filmmaker couldn’t help but put in, but all-in-all a very pleasant “date-like” movie that is not great, but certainly good enough to watch for a few hours.

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) I really like Jeff Daniels in lead roles, and he pulls off this romantic comedy just fine…The Question…what is the rating? The Answer…6.0, cause the film is cheesy at times, just like that last sentence. Go rent it on a rainy day anyway.

Amelia (2009) Hilary Swank, Richard Gere Directed By Mira Nair

Mira Nair, who is famous for directing two movies that are well-reviewed, but I have never seen (The Namesake and New York, I Love You) tackles the famous pilot, Amelia Earhart, in this biopic that gets its script from two different biographies. I thought that I would see this movie start buzzing around Award season, and was curious why that didn’t happen…well I get why, now having seen it. Though the film is not awful, and though I think the film went for the honest depiction of the famous female flyer…it comes up as a little disingenuous and often patronizing to the viewer. It gives us only glimpses of the pilot in an unorganized timeline. There seem to be bits of truth in these bits of her life, but we never get the feeling that that we know her. The failing of this film, is the way the film is constructed. The acting is fine and both Swank and Gere do admirable work, but the tone and feel of the storytelling doesn’t draw us in like it should.

(The Shawhank Scale 1-10) Excellent cinematography and some good acting let me give this film a 5.5 on the scale, but it is not something you have to rush to rent…I think another biopic on the pilot is in our future.

Whiteout (2009) Kate Beckinsale, Tom Skerritt Directed By Dominic Sena

No review here as this film was basically just a setting that they liked (Hey want to shoot a film set in Antarctica? Do we have a story? Nah We can just wing-it…) I snoozer of a thriller, and not even a pretty Kate Beckinsale, nor a nostalgic Tom Skerritt could save it. I give it a paltry 4.5 on The Shawshank Scale 1-10…don’t bother.



2 comments:

  1. I also didn't get: A Serious Man, but then again I don't like The Coen Brothers as much as everyone else, I thought No Country For Old Men was also boring.I don't think it has even a small chance at Best Picture. I am intrigued by The Answer Man, but other than you have heard nothing about it, I will pick it up and see it, then report back Mr Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude Whiteout was good, she's hot and takes a shower in like the first scene, so what I'm saying is I never made it past the first scene but I bet it was good:)

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.