March 18, 2010

DVD Review #33 Did You Hear About The Morgans?


-->
Did You Hear About the Morgans? (2009) Hugh Grant, Sara Jessica Parker Directed By Marc Lawrence

I know that given the bad reviews, the cheesy premise, and the awful trailer, that it is my duty as a blogger movie reviewer (whatever that means), to hate the film, Did you hear about the Morgans, but I can’t help but like it. I find that I don’t say this next statement enough…”What the hell do I know anyway”. I am a sucker for romantic comedies, Hugh Grant, and good soundtracks…and this film matches up quite nicely with all those elements, so I liked it. Hugh Grant has done some good work matching up with some of Hollywood’s most beautiful and talented actresses (Julia Roberts-Nottinghill, Sandra Bullock-Two Weeks Notice, and Drew Barrymore-Music & Lyrics…all films I liked), but this time he is matched up with Sarah Jessica Parker who I know many women like…but I don’t really like her. However in this film I did start to get wooed a bit by her…she is likable in her own way (she was actually nominated for a Razzie award for this film as Worst Actress…but lost to Sandra Bullock for a film called All About Steve). Anyway I am going to recommend this film (though I think many of you will be mad at me for doing so and may not agree after you view it), because I thought these two had great chemistry and the film is a nice sweet story that actually has elements of realism (not in the goofy premise of course…but in their relationship troubles). Maybe my general anger and dislike for Sarah Jessica Parker’s Sex in the City character is started to dwindle a bit…which I think is good step for me in becoming a better person…so that’s good.

Did you hear about the Morgans is a film about a separated couple who witnesses a murder and has to be whisked away into a witness protection program. Paul (played well and witty by Hugh Grant) and Meryl (actually played quite charming by Sarah Jessica Parker) are two New Yorkers who find themselves stuck in Wyoming for a week. To help protect them in Wyoming, we have U. S. Marshall, Clay Wheeler (played by Sam Elliot as you may expect) and his wife Emma Wheeler (played well by Mary Steenburgen…who I always like). These two are country folk and the normal “city meets country” silliness ensues, but the story here isn’t really that important. I found that Grant and Parker both had a nice chemistry…her neurotic behavior played very well with his sarcastic snobby wit. I really liked them in this, there were some nice realistic couple moments that were in there as well (not that many, but enough). It really is a nice film to check out on rainy night…give it shot, despite your first reactions (which I assume would be “this film looks awful”).

(The Shawshank Scale 1-10) Did you hear about the Morgans is not Oscar material, but it is good enough to watch…I give it a strong 6.0, which is what I gave Love Happens (DVD Review #29) another romantic (though not really a comedy) film that I liked. I think this was better and hope these two (Grant and Parker) work together more.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I liked this movie, it was OK, I agree that Hugh Grant is a likable guy, but I will never forget the face of that ugly prostitute he picked in Hollywood, that said About A Boy such a great film.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.