March 23, 2010

Fantasy Update #1 Baseball (2010)

Ok so I’m aware that I have always said that the correct number of fantasy leagues to play in is 3…anymore things get too complicated, and less than 3 leagues, you run the risk of not winning any of them. Last year in baseball I played in two leagues (finished 2nd in both, respectively), this year I thought I would add that third league as to increase my chances a bit and since I was running my own league for the first time, I thought I’d stick with the same two from last year and my own…however I guess I can’t say no to an invitation. Last year only one person invited me a to a league, this year I have received many invites (I’d like to say that it is because the popularity of my blog is soaring…but I don’t think that’s it)…anyway to make a long story short I said yes a lot…so alas I am in five leagues. However only two are prize leagues and one is a pitching only league so I think I’ll mange. For the purpose of the blog I am only going to cover one league in full (last year I covered two) so since that draft took place this past Saturday, it’s time to break down my team.

League-Red Sox Revenge Year #1-Team-Boston Lagers

10 team, mixed roto, 7 by 7 stats OBP/XBH and BAA/K per 9 are the extra stats

My draft strategy was once again to wait for pitching, and basically draft the best available guy without regard to position, at least in the first five rounds…for me it’s all about value, every time somebody reaches for someone you don’t like…that’s your opportunity to grab value.

Draft Recap-Snake Draft

Round 1-(5) Prince Fielder-I could have gone Braun or Utley here, but thought the HR’s and RBI production would set my team up the right way, and it allowed me to not have chase power the rest of the way.

Round 2-(16) Jacoby Ellsbury-With HR’s and RBI’s taken care of I went right after steals here (plus he is a red sock so added bonus), just missed out on Miguel Cabrera the pick before and passed up David Wright and Matt Holiday.

Round 3-(25) Dustin Pedroia-Could have gone Lincecum or King Felix Hernandez, but went with Pedroia because he was all around good for me last year, and I’m betting his average is in the 315-325 range. (did I mention he’s on the Red Sox?)

Round 4-(36) Grady Sizemore-My first round pick last year…I just thought the value was too good to pass up and it gave me two guys with speed in my outfield…I’m betting he bounces back. Passed on Jon Lester, Cliff Lee, and Adrian Gonzalez.

Round 5-(45) Dan Haren-I need an Ace, and Haren had been going around pick 30 in most drafts, so I felt the value was great. Passed on Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips.

The Rest:

R-6-(56)-OF-Carlos Lee, R-7-(65)-SP-Josh Johnson, R-8-(76)-3B-Chone Figgins, R-9-(85)-RP-Jon Papelbon, R-10-(96)-RP-Joakim Soria, R-11-(105)-1B-Lance Berkman, R-12-(116)-OF-Raul Ibanez, R-13-(125)-SS-Alexei Ramirez, R-14-(136)-SP-Chad Billingsley, R-15-(145)-RP-Ryan Franklin, R-16-(156)-DH-David Ortiz, R-17-(165)-SP-Rich Harden, R-18-(176)-C-Jorge Posada, R-19-(185)-OF Franklin Gutierrez, R-20-(196)-SP-Dice-K…

Last three picks-Francisco Liriano (SP), Adam LaRoche (1B), Eric Bedard (SP)

The balance of my team ended up really good, when you consider I have two straight speed guys in Figgins and Ellsbury, and two fair power/speed guys in Pedroia and Sizemore, I think if need be I can move one of them to fit another need. I took care of power as best I could with Fielder, Lee, Berkman, Ortiz, and Ibanez. As for weak spots, it’s clear Alexei Ramirez (and if you read me last year, you know I love this guy) at shortstop is someone I need to backup, but since this is a ten team (23 rosters spots) league, there is talent out there if he lets me down again( guys like Orlando Cabrera and Marco Scuturo are available). I thought my pitching would be worse than it turned out…Dan Haren, J Johnson, C Billingsley, R Harden, F. Liriano, E Bedard, as my starters…J Papelbon, J Soria, and R Franklin as my relief…I have already begun trying to trade for Josh Beckett…update on that soon.

Stock Up-I think Mike Cameron is a guy to watch hitting low in that Red Sox lineup…I know he has burned us before but Alfonso Soriano is hitting the crap out of the ball this spring…I would keep an eye out for him. John Lackey and Ian Kennedy are two guys I’m also keeping an eye on…maybe that Arizona Diamondbacks staff is better than we think.

Stock Down-So many pitchers…Sheets, Peavy, Chapman, Strasburg (only because he won’t be up till June), W-Rod, C.C., and even Lincecum are all troubling to me..if you are getting raked up in the spring it means something…I don’t care what they say.

Fantasy Basketball Update: Hanging on to first place by a thread!!! (that is all)

NCAA Bracket Update: KANSAS WTF!!!! Northern IOWA…WHERE?…WTF!!! (that is all)

Ok when the season gets fired up we will hit these updates harder…until then good drafting and good luck in all fantasy and reality.

2 comments:

  1. I think the whole world had Kansas, it is very upsetting, nice draft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stock Up- Mike Cameron, keep dreaming Red Sox
    I like Billingsley where you got him and I think having both Liriano and Bedard is a mistake, pick one of those guys and then get someone more reliable, I have Liriano so I will ride that guy until he blows up, also Adam LaRoche one of the most underrated guys around, we both always seem to get him. Nice Draft!
    Jon

    ReplyDelete

Join in the discussion...get involved!!! Come on you know want to....what the hell do I know.